What do you think about being paid to report parking in cycle lanes

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It is something they are proposing in New York. Would it work here?

Possibly not, since people would be reporting parking in hatched line cycle lanes which is not illegal. I doubt many of the general public know the difference.

We have very few continuous line mandatory cycle lanes in Britain.

• Agree
Reactions: PC2017

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
In the UK if said cycle lane is bound by a solid White line then it is an offence to drive or park in one. Like wise the cycle boxes at lights are the same yet I am always seeing vehicles occupying them at lights so cycles can't use them, think it's time I started using my camera more and sending the pics (date and time stamped) with clear reg plate to police online reporting page so they are warned or prosecuted.

Cycling Mikeyaka Mike van Erp is fun to watch on you tube (some 48 million views), he has racked up quite some statistics with his reporting of offences. He is famous for patroling and filming Gandalf Corner at Regents Park for traffic offences, mainly for cutting /jumping the T junction by drivers on the wrong side of the road.

His efforts have racked up some tens of thousands in fines for drivers and has seen some 1000's of points added to various licences.
The Met don't condone his actions as he makes the road safer from the acts of the irresponsible drivers.
He had had drivers banned , heavily fined and even had courts award victim surcharges from drivers actions.

Last edited:
Reactions: guerney

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
It is something they are proposing in New York. Would it work here?
Of course it would, great idea.

Clearly if there is a photo needed, people would very quickly realise that there is no point in reporting vehicles who park in the 'cycle lanes' that are not delimited by the solid white line.

I would also be more than happy to take 25% of the take from Motorists using mobiles at the traffic lights, those that get 'trapped' in the yelow boxes at the local junctions, someone smoking in a work van when there is another person in the vehicle, the white van drivers who appear to believe they dont have to wear seat belts and of course all the Motorists who think they are so smart making their vehicles unroadworthy by messing with their number plates.

Not forgeting the cyclists who ignore red traffic lights.

Who needs pensions ?

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: PC2017

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

jimriley

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2020
Sounds a bit like the olden days where there was a bounty on rats tails if you took them to the town hall. Bring it on!

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
I wish they would just to read the incensed gammon's replies in the daily mail comments :D

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
In the UK if said cycle lane is bound by a solid White line then it is an offence to drive or park in one. Like wise the cycle boxes at lights are the same yet I am always seeing vehicles occupying them at lights so cycles can't use them, think it's time I started using my camera more and sending the pics (date and time stamped) with clear reg plate to police online reporting page so they are warned or prosecuted.

Cycling Mikeyaka Mike van Erp is fun to watch on you tube (some 48 million views), he has racked up quite some statistics with his reporting of offences. He is famous for patroling and filming Gandalf Corner at Regents Park for traffic offences, mainly for cutting /jumping the T junction by drivers on the wrong side of the road.

His efforts have racked up some tens of thousands in fines for drivers and has seen some 1000's of points added to various licences.
The Met don't condone his actions as he makes the road safer from the acts of the irresponsible drivers.
He had had drivers banned , heavily fined and even had courts award victim surcharges from drivers actions.
I was surprised to read recently about a jury ruling in favour of a wealthy agent for celebrities

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
Very good, and why not ?

If the Police are not able\willing to enforce good behaviour from Motorists, its almots inevitable that others will.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
This could end the obesity crisis. "Guerney The Bounty Hunter" has a nice ring to it...

Reactions: jimriley