What has happened to the variety?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Even with the 2014 expansion our e-bike sales will be less than 1 in 60 of all bikes sold, while in The Netherlands it's 1 in 6.

So they have the big market you predict could come to us Trex, but a huge proportion of their customers buy their e-bikes from local dealers, last time I saw the figures it was easily the majority. They aren't short of major stores and have all the usual online facilities, but the independent dealers still have the market. Germany isn't wildly different. Why won't that happen here?

With respect I think you are allowing your undoubted abilities to blind you to the very real technical limitations of the population at large. Millions able to fix their bikes is probably an exaggeration, certainly millions can't even repair a puncture. And the same knowledge of their limitations means most don't come to forums like this for help, our membership is roughly 5% of the e-bike using public. It's from the remaining 95% that the bike dealers will continue to get their business.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
yes, flecc but we are moving towards zero maintenance or at least easy maintenance with self diagnostics. More and more bikes come with puncture proof tyres, the LCD does self tests and displays error codes, wiring is practically all plug and play, batteries have smart BMS with USB socket, hub gears need no maintenance, the outer cables nowadays are so much more resistant to bending, even the chains are tougher.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
:). Yes, you know that Trex, illustrating exactly my point. Most of the population at large don't know any of that, couldn't find error codes and wouldn't know what to do with them.

Their past experiences of their limitations means they will often continue to go to their local dealers. In just the same way they continue to buy extra warranties for the products they buy, despite all the publicity about their poor value. The latter illustrates how price is not always the most important factor, service is often more important.

Reactions: trex

Tim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2006
London
I must admit that I'd love to read more about other brands of mid drive motors besides Bosch. It's a shame that there isn't far more competition in that department to keep the bike choice/selection more exciting. It's currently quite a stale market.
Ahem... http://www.50cycles.com/blog/bosch-vs-impulse-2-0-electric-bike-system/

For every Kalkhoff Bosch-powered bike we sell 20-30 Impulse-powered bikes. It's not all about Bosch from our perspective.

As far as 50cycles is concerned, the market's never been healthier, we're smashing our targets and have a big new showroom in Bristol opening any day. Focus was a bit of a gamble for us this year but we've sold out of the basic Full-suspension Thron so we're having to bring in hardtail version now.

Reactions: EddiePJ and flecc

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009

For every Kalkhoff Bosch-powered bike we sell 20-30 Impulse-powered bikes. It's not all about Bosch from our perspective.

As far as 50cycles is concerned, the market's never been healthier, we're smashing our targets and have a big new showroom in Bristol opening any day. Focus was a bit of a gamble for us this year but we've sold out of the basic Full-suspension Thron so we're having to bring in hardtail version now.
From little acorns + 10years;)

• Tim Snaith, 50cycles, UK
“The eZee Liv has a lot of competition, but most of these machines (and quite a few costing £700 or more) can be dismissed. Against such single-speed, overweight monsters as the Powabyke Shopper, Sakura Cruiser, and even more horrible things, the Ezee Liv is light years ahead. The only real competition comes from the Giant Suede and the new LPX versions of the Powacycle Windsor and Salisbury, but their performance and equipment just doesn't come into the same ballpark as the Liv.”

C

Cyclezee

Indeed the eZee Liv was an excellent machine for £595, but that was back in 2007.

The current equivalent from eZee is the Sprint Primo which still retains the same values, excellent performance, value for money, strong and reliable, but much improved in every area.

Tim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2006
London
Indeed the eZee Liv was an excellent machine for £595, but that was back in 2007.

The current equivalent from eZee is the Sprint Primo which still retains the same values, excellent performance, value for money, strong and reliable, but much improved in every area.
Biggest problem with the Liv was eZee could never produce enough of them for us. It was perhaps the most reliable as well as it used the tried-and-tested NiMH battery pack which didn't suffer the problems of the Lithium Mn packs of the day.

C

Cyclezee

Biggest problem with the Liv was eZee could never produce enough of them for us. It was perhaps the most reliable as well as it used the tried-and-tested NiMH battery pack which didn't suffer the problems of the Lithium Mn packs of the day.
I have a one of the original NiMH batteries along with a couple of the early Lithium Ion batteries from that era which still have bit of life in them.

A big downside of the old NiMH is that it weighs more than eZee's current 28Ah Li Ion.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com

Tim,

Whilst up on the South Downs on Sunday on the KTM http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/2014-ktm-e-crossp.17969/ a couple of lads that I stopped to talk to, mentioned your new shop in Shoreham. Word is getting out there about it. :)

From your link. The spec looks great on paper, and climb assist is very handy, but I'd never again buy a bike that has rear hub gear change to use off road, particularly if it happens to be the soft as cheese SRAM DD3

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

3 years ago there were at most times 30-50 members on the forum,I have just counted 14 members.
There's presently 90 people using the site, which is about the most I've ever seen. As far as I can make out, the forum is becoming more popular. There's also more posts than I've seen before.

C

Cyclezee

There's presently 90 people using the site, which is about the most I've ever seen. As far as I can make out, the forum is becoming more popular. There's also more posts than I've seen before.
Most of the posts are down to you Dave;)

Reactions: SRS

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
And the membership is growing faster. After stagnating for a while in the low 7000s, it's now over 8000, probably reflecting the recent rise in e-bike sales.

stevieb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2014
i was going to hold off with a report on my wifes batribike until she,s had it a bit longer but this topic has prompted me to comment.
she opted for the BATRIBIKE diamond pro from easygo bikes in linlithgow.
she has tried a variety of other brands that were available within reasonable driving distance from us.
she chose her bike because it was the one that she liked the feel of best and seemed to perform well.
she did try some brands that she was not very impressed with at all and stated that if she had tried them first then she may not have bothered venturing into the world of e bikes, and we are not talking about some cheap and nasty bikes either.
some of these ones she tried were a lot more expensive than the batribike.
i wonder how many people have tried an e bike from only a couple of manufacturers and decided that e bikes are not for them when in fact they just haven,t tried enough variety.
in our limited experience we have found that not all bikes in a certain price range are the same.
so back to the batribike,
so far so good
does exactly what it should and is now used as her means of transport for local trips.
it appears to perform as stated in the brochure [mileage etc]
local support is something that means a lot also and gordon at easygo has offered to pick up and deliver her bike for servicing etc.
not sure how far he travels but he was going to be away this week delivering a trike up north {scotland}
with no disrespect for online retailers i think most people new to e bikes are going to chose a shop for their first purchase .
try before you buy and face to face service being a factor.
i know from reading on here that online e bike sellers have a good reputation when it comes to warranty issues etc but because some items bought on line leave the buyer high and dry when they have issues then unfortunatley this can only give a potential buyer the impression that this may happen if they buy an ebike.
as previously stated unfortunatley most e bike users are not on this site.

Electrifying Cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2011
More variety will come it is just that Bosch is taking such a big percentage of the market circa 70% in Europe. However there is also the panasonic hub drive which I personally love but also several mid motors coming from a range of suppliers including Shimano. I am looking forward to trying them out. Competition is generally a good thing as it means everyone raises their game.

Tim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2006
London
Tim,

Whilst up on the South Downs on Sunday on the KTM http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/2014-ktm-e-crossp.17969/ a couple of lads that I stopped to talk to, mentioned your new shop in Shoreham. Word is getting out there about it. :)

From your link. The spec looks great on paper, and climb assist is very handy, but I'd never again buy a bike that has rear hub gear change to use off road, particularly if it happens to be the soft as cheese SRAM DD3
Hello, glad word is getting out... I've just moved to the area too.

All the Throns have derailleurs and some of the Endeavours and Pro Connects come with 10-speed XT too.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I thought that it was good to hear, especially as they were on pedal only MTB's and yet seemed open and enthusiastic to the idea.
Mind you after just sailing past the three of them here, I guess that Cols KTM must have seemed pretty impressive. Cruel, but it had to done. :D

This is where I was riding, and if you ever fancy a ride up there yourself, I'd be more than happy to join you.

Also, your shop is in a good location for a bit of a business idea that have floating around in the back of my mind. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: LEBC Tom

BeardedAl

Just Joined
Mar 13, 2014
Resurrecting this interesting thread ,(I had lost contact for the last 3 years + sadly couldn't recall my original user name ...whatever,enough of the waffle

** not everyone malignes :)

My previous experiences were with a Panasonic drive system (on the maligned BH E-Motion) followed by AVE MH7 and Wisper 806 (both now maligned I notice from some 1/4) ?***

I am looking around for an interesting trekking bike and came across this http://electricbikereport.com/wallerang-m-01-electric-bike/ can anyone give riding impressionsmalignes of the Shimano system .....I have read from 2 vendors who state that its 'adequate' but not quite as exciting as the Bosch/Yamaha ...any thoughts appreciated

Last edited: