what is it?????

Markxc40

Pedelecer
May 15, 2020
Just having a re-read of my new ebike paperwork and a tidy up of everything and found this item amongst the paperwork..
I've no idea what it is can anybody explain it please.

Regards

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
its a brake pad spacer for when you remove the wheels for transport ect

Reactions: Markxc40

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
It's one of those things you use to get stones out of horses's hoofs, boy scouts carry them.

• :D
Reactions: Markxc40

Markxc40

Pedelecer
May 15, 2020
Thanks all for your knowledge.
It seems a little complex if it is just to keep the pads apart, is it meant to do other things too?
I'll go and google how to use it.

Best

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Thanks all for your knowledge.
It seems a little complex if it is just to keep the pads apart, is it meant to do other things too?
I'll go and google how to use it.

Best
It is not complex, it simply prevents the pads on some brake designs from falling out and getting lost in transit.
I asked the same question when I took delivery of my first disk brake e-bike!
Always good to check!
Andy

• :D
Reactions: Nealh

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
It is not complex, it simply prevents the pads on some brake designs from falling out and getting lost in transit.
I asked the same question when I took delivery of my first disk brake e-bike!
Always good to check!
Andy
no its not for that as most calipers have a bolt or clip that holds the pads in place anyway.

it is for when you remove the wheel and put the bike in your car ect so if you knock the brake lever the pads dont get pressed together and thus you need to remove the pads and rest the pistons to get the wheel back on.

Reactions: 01wellsd

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
no its not for that as most calipers have a bolt or clip that holds the pads in place anyway.

it is for when you remove the wheel and put the bike in your car ect so if you knock the brake lever the pads dont get pressed together and thus you need to remove the pads and rest the pistons to get the wheel back on.
Some pads are not held securely in place, when the disk is not present, and delivery people throw the boxes about, and some brakes a pad can fall out, or maybe even the lever gets operated.
Apparently, the plastic piece prevents pad movement, and my brakes are not even hydraulic.....so its not just for hydraulic brakes as you imply!
That was from my really good friendly LBS here in Germany, after I took it in to show them!
I did not have a clue till then.....