What is Primary Safety?

JohnInStockie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2006
Stockport, SK7
Hi Guys

Given all of the recent debate over what is and is not safety apparel or equipment, and with the autumn drawing on, I thought I'd start this thread for the benefit of all for people to list, suggest and debate what they regard as Primary Safety for our cycling fraternaty.

So what is it then?

John

The Maestro

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2008
Hi Guys

Given all of the recent debate over what is and is not safety apparel or equipment, and with the autumn drawing on, I thought I'd start this thread for the benefit of all for people to list, suggest and debate what they regard as Primary Safety for our cycling fraternaty.

So what is it then?

John
I'd never heard the expression before reading that thread on the cyclist who got hit, but if I understood what people were saying correctly its anything that helps avoid getting involved in an accident in the first place, e.g. using cycle paths, riding defensively, using things like rear view mirrors and bicycle mounted BTC (bike to car) missles to take out anyone who cuts you up.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Primary safety is avoiding accidents, secondary safety is alleviating the effects of them. Obviously primary safety is very much more important.

For cyclists the most important elements of primary safety by far are their individual skill and behaviour, elements like constant awareness with satisfactory vision, reading the road ahead, having a good mirror and developing the skills of getting the best from that. Thinking out all the possibilities for both danger and avoiding actions with the ability and readyness to act accordingly in emergencies. Mood is also very important, not riding when upset or angry is just as important for cyclists as for drivers, since a poor mood affects performance and attention adversely. Courtesy is also vitally important, being willing and happy to give way to others, no matter what their behaviour.

Then there's the equipment, bike, clothing, visibility, lighting in poor conditions, tyre condition and pressures, comfort.

Then there's the route, is it the safest or is it being used because of the shortness etc?

There are more factors, but it's much better for each individual to sit down with pen and paper and think this through, writing down everything they can think of, since that promotes the learning process and awareness.

When someone rides thousands of miles a year for many years without any accidents, it's not luck and it doesn't just happen. It's the result of them consistently conforming to all the above and more. Accidents don't just happen, they are caused.

Last edited:

peckerman

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 22, 2008
The roads are full of morons these days. Primary safety is simple in my view. There are 3 factors each as important as the other.

1-Be seen, hi vis clothing, lighting etc. I'm always amazed at how many people I see out on bikes in dark clothing with no lights. Or a rear light obscured by a baggy coat hanging over the saddle.

2- Attitude/ability, as Flecc said you need to be able to control a bike, know your limits and never assume anything. I've had guys look me in the eye at roundabouts and still pull out into me.

3- Protect yourself. There are instances where even the greatest riders luck runs out, and they come off. When it happens you need to give your body the best possible chance.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
3- Protect yourself. There are instances where even the greatest riders luck runs out, and they come off. When it happens you need to give your body the best possible chance.
Sensible of course peckerman, but that's secondary safety, alleviating the effects of an accident.

I always make the distinction clear since the two are confused too often and the primary importance lost as a result. Too much emphasis on secondary safety engenders the wrong frame of mind, people saying such things as "accidents are inevitable", and I'm afraid your mention of "luck" falls into that category. In this world we can make our own luck, and where accidents are concerned we shouldn't be thinking of luck at all, since that is fatalism.

The Maestro

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2008
I've had guys look me in the eye at roundabouts and still pull out into me.
Now I find this one VERY interesting. I often make a point of avoiding eye contact and using my peripheral vision. If people think a cyclist has seen them then often they think that gives them a licence to do anything even if it means you have to slam on your brakes or take avoiding action. This applieds 500% more to gangs of hoodies who stroll across the road. Make eye contact with them and they will just walk out right in front of you. This mentality is shared by some motorists.

peckerman

Aug 22, 2008
Flecc I shall now refer to you as super-flecc, as you are clearly that much better than everyone else at riding that you will never have an accident :p

This is just like what came first, the chicken or the egg? I mean ok, its obviously better to not have an accident(incident, whatever you like to call it) in the first place, but seriously no one can guarantee that. So then is it better to prepare for the accident if the worst happens? I think the answer is both. There's no reason why you should have to pick?!?!?There doesn't have to be a primary or secondary.

Also, please can you tell me super-flecc what you would do in this particular situation to avoid this acci-incident.....

Super-flecc is cycling down a cyclepath, off the main road, during busy traffic, his sonar is switched on, vehicle speed sensors are activated, when all of a sudden a driver looses control and skids off the road onto the path from behind. Now god forbid this ever happened, but how would your super-abilities be able to stop you getting hit? Im not having a dig here, I seriously want to know, as there is clearly something you are doing that no one else is capable of here.

peckerman

Aug 22, 2008
Now I find this one VERY interesting. I often make a point of avoiding eye contact and using my peripheral vision. If people think a cyclist has seen them then often they think that gives them a licence to do anything even if it means you have to slam on your brakes or take avoiding action. This applieds 500% more to gangs of hoodies who stroll across the road. Make eye contact with them and they will just walk out right in front of you. This mentality is shared by some motorists.
Hmmmmm I like the hoody theory, but I much prefer to drive straight at them, after all, they should be wearing pedestrian helmets......:p :D :p

seriously though I might give the avoiding eye contact a go tomorrow.......I can see your logic

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Flecc I shall now refer to you as super-flecc, as you are clearly that much better than everyone else at riding that you will never have an accident :p

This is just like what came first, the chicken or the egg? I mean ok, its obviously better to not have an accident(incident, whatever you like to call it) in the first place, but seriously no one can guarantee that. So then is it better to prepare for the accident if the worst happens? I think the answer is both. There's no reason why you should have to pick?!?!?There doesn't have to be a primary or secondary.

Also, please can you tell me super-flecc what you would do in this particular situation to avoid this acci-incident.....

Super-flecc is cycling down a cyclepath, off the main road, during busy traffic, his sonar is switched on, vehicle speed sensors are activated, when all of a sudden a driver looses control and skids off the road onto the path from behind. Now god forbid this ever happened, but how would your super-abilities be able to stop you getting hit? Im not having a dig here, I seriously want to know, as there is clearly something you are doing that no one else is capable of here.
Do I detect some sarcasm here. :D

Seriously though, the answer lies in your first sentence. It's because that is completely the opposite of what I think that I am more successful at avoiding accidents than most. I've been driving for over 56 years but I still say I'm a learner, and likewise after 62 years of cycling I say the same, never regarding myself in any way as an expert. Something I've often been known to say is that for every one thing I know, there are an infinite number of things I don't.

The fact that you don't accept there needs to be a primary and secondary shows that you are more vulnerable, for primary and secondary are the universally accepted fundamentals of dealing with accident possibilities.

As you rightly say, no-one can guarantee not to have an accident, least of all me since I'm in no way a super being, just a learner at everything, but the accident possibility is not the start point of my thinking. How to avoid having it is.

And that leads me to your proposed scenario. How I would avoid it is simple, the answer being in my first post in this thread where I said this:

" - - having a good mirror and developing the skills of getting the best from that. Thinking out all the possibilities for both danger and avoiding actions with the ability and readiness to act accordingly in emergencies."

You see, both to the rear and the front I continuously monitor what's happening, so in that event I'd do what was necessary as usual, go into the hedge or swerve back out, our throw myself off the bike. Of course it's conceivable that it could be a car doing that in close proximity in a moment when I didn't see it and then I could get knocked off, but again that's not the start point of my thinking, fatalism is excluded for me.

A further illustration. Very early in my driving career I three accidents, two very minor and one just a little worse. In all three cases I was ruled completely blameless and the third parties paid out in full. After the last of those I did some serious thinking and decided that I was not blameless at all. Yes, the third party in each case initiated actions leading to the accidents, but I was a part to the actual accident, and in each case with more forethought and skill I could have diminished or avoided the accident altogether. That therefore made me in part responsible, and it's a responsibility I've accepted ever since.

And thats why I've never been hurt in well over half a century of driving, motor cycling and cycling, not because I'm an expert but because I'm always ready to learn more towards my inadequate knowledge and act upon it.

I leave others to think they're expert drivers, just as I leave them to have the accidents they think inevitable.

Last edited:

JohnInStockie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2006
Stockport, SK7
Now I find this one VERY interesting. I often make a point of avoiding eye contact and using my peripheral vision. If people think a cyclist has seen them then often they think that gives them a licence to do anything even if it means you have to slam on your brakes or take avoiding action.
I've also never considered this approach as I always make eye contact too.

John

JohnInStockie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2006
Stockport, SK7
So Primary Safety is avioding accidents/incidents.

And the methods to do this are:-

Good use of mirrors
Lights - (think xmas tree)
Reflectives - the more the better?
Riding style Aggressive/Defensive - Give clear signals but look for danger spots

and now some further questions...

Route - my daily route into work is 11 miles of road, busy congested road. The only mainly-off-road route I could use is using the Trans Pennine Trail which is very very poor, a grit sand surface with no drainage, over-grown, poorly lit, 2 miles longer and with lots of junctions. However, very very few cars (mostly dogs and joggers).

How should I decide which route I should take?

John

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I don't think anyone can advise for another John, since such things are personal, but I'll say it as it is for me.

If that alternative is as bad as it sounds, I wouldn't use it, since as I said above, mood is very important as a safety factor and such poor conditions wouldn't be conducive to feeling good.

My thinking on eye contact is the same as yours, it's an essential to ensure you've been seen, and when I fail to make it, I prepare instead to be able to stop in time. Even with eye contact I make an effort to have the leeway to stop/avoid anyway, just in case. Those who hit cars that suddenly pull out of sideroads have failed to follow that course.

Django

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2007
. . . . the answer lies in your first sentence. <snip>.
I am fully with Flecc here. There are without question accidents that you cannot avoid, but they are rare. I have over 250 000 miles of experience on a motorcycle in eighteen countries and have not crashed since my teens (over twenty years ago). I'm not clever, I'm not a brilliant rider and I have a huge amount to learn. The key resides in taking it seriously, analysing everything, training and more training, reading, listening to experts, practice, keeping the machine in top condition, and knowing that death is a second away. Smugness doesn't enter into it. I picture my family every time I set out and I know that I am fully capable of doing utterly stupid things if I don't concentrate.

We internet age motorcyclists (along with climbers) have a saying - AOTGAOTT, which translates as All Of The Gear All Of The Time. Some swear by it (and since having children I tend towards it) but others deploy the false sense of security argument. French motorcycle police ride through summer in short sleeve cotton shirts and they certainly don't hang about.

On a bicycle, I wear whatever I'm wearing and that is that. I simply can't be bothered to change. If I had to wear a helmet by law, then I would find myself criminalised very quickly.

The Maestro

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2008
I think its always better that the drivers of other vehicles think you haven't seen them and aren't paying them any particular attention. That way I believe they will treat you will kid gloves and not do silly things.

I suppose like someone said the only potential disadvantage is that you don't know whether the driver has seen you. However I don't think I would cycle any differently depending on whether they had or hadn't seen me anyway so I always avoid the eye contact. I also think its a bit of a misleading signal a bit like a car flashing its lights which can really mean anything - 'stop', 'go', 'look out' and might not even be meant for you since people are unable to tell the difference between someone looking over the top of their head and someone making direct eyecontact.

Just my opinion of course.

Actually im probably exagerating slightly as I'm sure I do check what observations a driver is doing in certain situations but I tend to not meet their gaze exactly. I think this is because I see eye-contact as a signal which can be misinterpreted.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Your point certainly has validity Maestro, just as you describe it, and in my London borough I've also suffered the yobs and hoodies who use the eye contact to deliberately get in the way. That's occasional though, and since cars coming out of sideroads is so frequent in my high density area, I prefer the eye contact option since it works far more often than it doesn't, so on balance it's safer for me.

Areas and populations vary though, so each to their own is fine if it works for them.

The Maestro

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2008
Yep, I rarely cycle in the town center and I imagine London is an entirely different ball game. Do most people not wear wrap around sunglasses or goggles though? I have to wear something over my eyes because of the wind and in summer its usually sunglasses so that would make eye contact a bit hard anyway.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I mainly have that wind problem at speed and occasionally wear goggles when in the country lanes (I live on the London/Surrey border), but never wear them in town traffic for my utility riding, so that's not a problem for me.

JohnInStockie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2006
Stockport, SK7
Bicycle Safety 101 version 1.0

Ok everyone, Attempt number 1 to document Primary Safety advice. Please feel free to add to this / debate this. If we can share good advice it might save one of us one day.

1. Riding Style
Agressively indicate what you are doing, whether overtaking parked cars, changing lanes, or turning. Always expect someone to open a door on a parked car as you pass (one day you will be right).
Ride Defensively on roundabouts and approaching junctions. Expect the drivers to pull out and ride being prepared to stop. Take the whole lane on a roundabout.

2. Essentials
Mirrors. Use them to time for overtaking or when you can pull out to pass a parked car or change lanes. Check them regularly.

Lights. Use them whenever you can, in the day and at night. Flashers are excellent in daylight. At night you need to both see the road your on, and to ensure that others can see you so consider 2 lights.

Reflectives. Wear some form of reflectives. Contrast is good. Avoid the cheap ones. Reflectives on the hands/ankles/pedals are good as the movement will be more noticable. Better to look like an idiot than a casualty.

3. Routes
Try to avoid heavy trafficked routes with narrow roads, but always use routes you feel comfortable with. Try out your various options if you are using it for commuting as off-road isn't always best or practical.

Any more?

John