What motor to replace 8fun ?

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Hi all

I have an 8fun motor (front) with a ku65 controller. I have a booster battery so overvoltwd at 48v nominal instead of standard 36v

My bottle battery is on last legs so am going to order a new one from BMS battery (a new style frame pack at 189 usd)

Question is - I am thinking of upgrading my motor

But

I've no idea how they react to overvolting ?

Is there a motor with that will be better than my current one and work with a ku65 ? Maybe a q100h ?

Thanks
Kirstin

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
I've just read a few sad tales from people that overvolted the S06S. Even 12S was too much for one, so it depends on the actual controller- which FETS and capacitors it has.
Ooh dear, not what I wanted to hear !!
How far over-volting was there being done on average?

D

Deleted member 4366

50v appears to be an absolute maximum, but one gut blew his with 12S . I guess it's possible something else was wrong, because he talked about "melted pcb" whatever that means.He's running his Q100C with 12S and a S12S now with the current set to the minimum.

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
I've just read a few sad tales from people that overvolted the S06S. Even 12S was too much for one, so it depends on the actual controller- which FETS and capacitors it has.

How about getting a 48v battery with the 20 amp sine-wave controller and a 36v 201 rpm one of these:
http://www.bmsbattery.com/front-driving/301-250w350w-q-85100sx-motor-e-bike-kit.html
Thanks d8veh - that's good to know

Whist your suggestion would no doubt work It does make the whole order quite a bit more

Would the qi00h work ok with the ku65 ?

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Also I'd like to retain the booster battery approach as my current bike is fully legal without it - when I take the kids out I don't use the booster but when I conmute to work I do use it

D

Deleted member 4366

Thanks d8veh - that's good to know

Whist your suggestion would no doubt work It does make the whole order quite a bit more

Would the qi00h work ok with the ku65 ?
Definitely. Normally, I'd solder the shunt for a bit more pep, but not with your present battery.

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Definitely. Normally, I'd solder the shunt for a bit more pep, but not with your present battery.
D8veh - just to confirm if you would - have you run ku65 on a q100h sensor less ?

Currently I run sensor less but cwah has had issues sensor less with this motor

Hence the question

Thanks

D

Deleted member 4366

Why would you want to run it sensorless? The motor has sensors, and your controller has the connector! I think sensorless will be problematic.

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
No reason to be sensor less . Just means I need to order the wiring !

Thanks though - that's exactly what I needed to know

D

Deleted member 4366

The Q100H comes with the wire all the way to the controller with the correct connectors for the KU65 plus a waterproof 9-pin connector at the motor end.