what speed for you

nigel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 18, 2006
`Hi folks
what speed would you feel safe at on your electric bike if given the choice? i think for me it might be between 25mph to 30mph that would be fast enough for me given condition of our roads.nigel.southampton.

atarukun

Just Joined
Feb 13, 2007
Seattle, WA, USA
Given the state of the roads around my neighborhood and how often they are wet, I generally stay below 25mph. Unfortunately that often means riding my brakes while going downhill.

When I lived in San Diego I generally felt fine going 30mph or so.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
If you mean a universal legal maximum speed Nigel, I think 20 mph, since I don't think all manufacturers take their design safety responsibilities seriously enough, some just wanting to shift "boxes" for profit. I also base that figure on the fact that in general terms, nature has designed and evolved the human body to survive the consequences resulting from what it's naturally capable of, and that's about the top speed a fast runner reaches. This is also the basis of calls for all town speed limits to be 20 mph.

If you mean personally for me as an individual at all times, none, since I prefer to make my own judgement on a bike's capability and the riding conditions. Unfortunately, many people feel the same as this, even those who's judgement and experience is seriously lacking! Even the ultra light bikes used in the Tour de France and other racing reach 70 mph downhill, and recumbent bikes with "ordinary" riders can reach over 75 mph downhill. Also, the world speed record on the flat for an enclosed unassisted bike and rider is 83 mph. (Canadian Sam Whittingham riding a Varna Diablo designed by Georgi Georgiev)

Last edited:

Flying Kiwi

Pedelecer
Dec 25, 2006
Buckinghamshire
I felt fine going down a nearby long steep hill at 41 MPH on my Twist one day until I pulled on the brakes and found the front roller brake almost locked up on me due to vapourisation of the grease. I love roller coasters and such but that was pretty scarey:eek: Since I've replaced the front brake with a more heavy duty one I no longer have those concerns so would again be happy to go flat out, as long as the road conditions and other traffic permitted.

Normally on the flat I get along at about 17 - 19 mph. With the current gearing on my bike (which is soon to change with a new rear sprocket), thats about the most comfortable speed without my legs feeling like I'm working an egg beater.

nigel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 18, 2006
nigel

41 mph thats impressive but as you said brakes would need to work it helps:eek: i have done 31mph on a powabyke with a mini roundabout at the bottom of the hill and yes my brakes did work thankfully. good fun as they say nigel.

Baboonking

Pedelecer
Nov 4, 2006
Watford
busy city centre inc bike paths: 15mph - feels very fast in traffic

suberbs. 25mph max but mostly under 20mph.

open countryside with good quality roads: 30 mph.