What the budget did for Cyclists...

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
At least VAT stayed at Zero for bike helmets.

Who am I trying to kid...

It did nothing.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
Did it do anything for anyone?
I see no change as a good thing when the government is skint and trying to get some money in the coffers.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It did nothing.
Exactly.

It was promoted by the chancellor during his speech as a budget to make Britain a leader in "Green" issues.

And to do that he reduced the cost of petrol and diesel. :rolleyes:

Giving e-bikes parity with low emission cars for subsidies, and removing VAT from e-bikes would have been sensible measures with imperceptible costs.

Sadly imagination is not a strength of politicians and senior civil servants.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
And to do that he reduced the cost of petrol and diesel. :rolleyes:
Unfortunately, that cost reduction has been stolen. I cycle past 4 filling stations on my way to work.

The BP garage have stolen the tax break.

Tesco have stolen it too.

The Total garage have lined their pockets with our tax relief.

Sainsburys have not only stolen the tax relief, they have stuck 2p per litre on the price. Gits

stevebills

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 14, 2010
Am I missing something but a penny a litre sounds like a joke and the vat increase puts 3p on a litre
and when the oil companys get a tax hike of 1.8 billion surely they will put there prices up like any other business..
why is everybody jumping up and down!:rolleyes:

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Fuel stations couldn't honour the penny decrease since they pay the tax on their stocks on delivery. Until that's used up the decrease won't be available.

The fuel retailers trade body warned the chancellor of this in advance and requested any reduction begin April 1st. He either ignored them or thought they were playing an April fool's trick on him.

Bikealot

Pedelecer
Aug 21, 2010
There have been some news reports of sharp practice by big supermarket garages in particular putting the price up in anticipation of the duty cut. I have paid £6.27 a gallon for diesel and it is quite possible we will see £10.00 a gallon.

A quick bit of Google research shows average weekly wage for men in 1974 (In 1974 I had a Saturday job at a petrol station)was £38.10 (Hansard) and £461 in 2011 (www.statistics.gov.uk). The figures are not 100% compatible but are a rough guide to comparison. The AA publish historical prices of petrol.

In 1974 a gallon of 4* was 49.6p. My nearest supermarket garage was selling unleaded today at £1.32 a litre (i.e.£6 a gallon). In 1974 the average weekly wage bought 76.8 gallons and in 2011 the average weekly wage buys exactly the same. My comparison is very simplistic and unscientific but does seem to undermine in at least one area the 'green' commitment of government.

In my view, the budget was another missed opportunity to start breaking down the myth of an oil dependent economy (and society) being sustainable. Better perhaps to let us all down gently and in a planned way. But of course there is little evidence of a plan!

banbury frank

Banned
Jan 13, 2011
Hi

Life is simple

No more cheap oil .

Oil is running out yet every year the world demands more and more
Especial China

The Americans well they are Cream crackerd they wasted there oil now they will suffer They are now doing anything to have supply's off oil

How much oil does Saudi Arabia actually have? | John Vidal | Environment | guardian.co.uk

the oil we are finding now costs more to produce we will very soon have a decline in production off existing oil wells

Fuel is going to be rationed By price

we will see those GAS guzzlers dumped on the side off the road

left on garage forecourts when owners cant pay £ 200 to fill them

The days off cars going nowhere with one person in the car is numbered

Do we put fuel in the car or food in our belly's

That is the choice we will find ourselves making very soon

I just heard a saying on the radio money talks mine just said GOODBYE

Frank

Last edited:

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Fuel stations couldn't honour the penny decrease since they pay the tax on their stocks on delivery. Until that's used up the decrease won't be available.

The fuel retailers trade body warned the chancellor of this in advance and requested any reduction begin April 1st. He either ignored them or thought they were playing an April fool's trick on him.
I was under the impression that duty was paid at the point of sale, not on stock held. My source for this information was a petrol station cashier. Unfortunately, he wasn't the brightest star in the sky, so this information could be wrong. I couldn't find anything on Google during my very brief search to provide a definitive answer.

What makes me think that duty is paid at point of sale rather than on stock, is the fact that when the chancellor announces a rise in fuel duty at say 6:00 pm that day, just that happens, it goes up at 6:00 pm. No waiting to use up existing stocks.

indalo

Banned
Sep 13, 2009
Herts & Spain
I was under the impression that duty was paid at the point of sale, not on stock held. My source for this information was a petrol station cashier. Unfortunately, he wasn't the brightest star in the sky, so this information could be wrong. I couldn't find anything on Google during my very brief search to provide a definitive answer.

What makes me think that duty is paid at point of sale rather than on stock, is the fact that when the chancellor announces a rise in fuel duty at say 6:00 pm that day, just that happens, it goes up at 6:00 pm. No waiting to use up existing stocks.
After listening to a spokesman for the petrol retailers on breakfast TV, it's clear they're struggling. Maybe we should organise a whip-round?

Indalo

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
Of course the budget did nothing for the people - who would expect otherwise?

Call me an old Marxist (please), but having observed and learned for some half-a-century it seems that our governments, of any 'party', are only there to run capitalism more efficiently.

Result?

Banks win, we lose.

A.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
After listening to a spokesman for the petrol retailers on breakfast TV, it's clear they're struggling. Maybe we should organise a whip-round?

Indalo
I don't doubt that they are struggling, just like everyone else. Those facing redundancy, a pay cut, increased pension contributions or a pay freeze for example.

I watched the budget yesterday and I don't remember the chancellor saying that he was cutting fuel duty so that petrol station owners could, "trouser" the extra penny and thus ease their own financial situation at the expense of others. I could be wrong though and I may very well have missed that bit.

I know that filling station owners, particularly the independents, are feeling it. I saw one on TV last night who was paying more wholesale than the supermarket 3 miles away were selling it for. How do you compete with that?
Personally, I don't fill up at supermarkets. A tanker driver who delivered 40000 litres of Jet A1 to work yesterday reckoned that supermarket petrol is, "****" and that their diesel is little better than raw chip fat.

Last edited:

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
Personally, I don't fill up at supermarkets. A tanker driver who delivered 40000 litres of Jet A1 to work yesterday reckoned that supermarket petrol is, "****" and that their diesel is little better than raw chip fat.
I've heard that and arguments against it as well, personally I'll pay little heed to someone calling their competitors product ****.

Trevor Holloway

Pedelecer
May 4, 2010
I've heard that and arguments against it as well, personally I'll pay little heed to someone calling their competitors product ****.
I wish I had known - my old Golf used to run perfectly well on 80% old chip fat / 20% diesel, the exhaust smell was something to behold, something akin to a kebab shop !

Got more strange looks than "freewheeling" uphill.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
The tanker driver was a self employed person who moves fuel for all the main names as well as supermarkets. He could still have been talking out of his bottom though, but I suppose that the fact he has no allegiance to any particular oil company does give him a bit more credibility.

Incidentally, he reckoned that Jet diesel is one of the best, closely followed by British Pirates (BP).

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
The budget could have done so much more...

So far suggestions have been:
Reduce VAT on bikes (Flecc)

and no others...

I'd like to add a few more, (warning: maybe a little radical...)

Increase VAT on Fuel by 5p and use the income to:

Provide Bicycle lanes everywhere, not just London
Re-instate cycle training into the national curriculum
Remove VAT from bikes and bike accessories
Give children a decent bike at age 5, again at age 10, and again at age 15

Any politician pictured on a bike as part of their election campaign material has their travel expenses reduced by 50%

Reduce the speed limit on motorways to 60 MPH and thereby force people to massively save on their fuel costs.

Reduce the speed limit in towns to 20 MPH

Though I didn't vote for them, I had high hopes the LDems would provide some positive influence upon our capitalist, gun-running, fuel guzzling masters of old, the ever predictable tuck shop monitors from Eton and Harrow who are quite simply laughing at us from their over bloated, oxygen choking, city tractors more appropriate to the mafia infested streets of a right wing state in the middle east... where the oil is.

indalo

Banned
Sep 13, 2009
Herts & Spain
I was being cynical with that remark about a whip-round but the thread has gone off at a tangent somewhat since then.

In case anyone is still unclear about the quality of supermarket fuel compared to that sold in the premium brand stations, you can research the subject on the internet as I did a couple of years ago. When you have spent hours trying to discover the answer, you will eventually find the important stuff which, without trying to be technical as I'm no scientist, concerns the additives that the big companies put into their fuels.

You may have heard tales like, "It all comes out of the same tanks at the depot."....or "My mate's a tanker driver and he says...." Well, the truth is that the fuels delivered to supermarkets is fairly basic stuff whereas that which is sold by the likes of Shell, BP, Texaco et al is better on account of the additives used. Evidently, lab tests have demonstrated that there is truth in those claims about extra mileage with certain brands but those fuels come at extra cost so there is some arithmetic involved if you really want to determine which is better value.

For what it's worth, my own car always gives me a few more miles on Shell regular diesel than on Tesco's stuff. That is a fact. The car always seems livelier also on Shell but that may be a psychological thing on my part and not fact; I really don't know. In any event, I have no qualms about using supermarket fuel and it certainly isn't **** although I understand someone using that term in the same way as someone saying, "Arsenal are brilliant and Spurs are...." It's a relative thing.

Now what was the subject of this thread....?

Indalo

ps I'm not going to research it all again but cetane improvers were involved amongst other things.