What to buy. Help please

Purleigh Biker

Just Joined
Oct 16, 2013
Hi.
I am looking to buy an electric bike (with or without throttle). So some information please.... I am 59 years old, weigh 95 kilos and have some problems with my knees. I have about £1000 to spend ( Maybe some more as I may buy it through a cycle to work scheme. Does anyone know how much this might save me?) I live in Essex and its fairly flat. My intended use will be mainly short journeys, about 10 miles, but way get longer as I get used to cycling again. I have read quite a lot on various sites but have not understood all of it!!! I'm thinking of rear hub or crank drive. A frame mounted Lithium battery (36v 9-10A I think), as opposed to a carrier mounted one. Are the type of brakes something that needs considering? Where I'm getting lost is understanding hub and crank motors and gears. I've read about problems with gear changing with derailleur gears? How is it mending punctures with the various systems? I have friends in Germany that have Kalkoff 2012 Aguttu C8 HS Impulse 8-G Nexus. I believe these have hub gears and crank drive. They say 8 gears are enough. Is this good? I suspect if the answer is yes I will not be able to afford this combination. I know he paid about £1500. I would like to buy from a shop. Where is a good place to try some out. I live near Chelmsford.
I know this is a rather mixed request, but any imput would be greatly appreciated. I am also sure I will have lots more to ask very soon.

averhamdave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2009
I don't know who your local shop is but that's certainly where you need to be. The dealer can explain all these variables to you better than anyone can do on here. There are a myriad of options available and some suit some and other options suit other people. We are not all the same and neither are electric bikes

Trouble with forums (although this is better than most) is that people will praise their own choice at the expense of others (often as they continue to kid themselves they bought the right thing!) a down side of this forum though can be that various manufacturers use it to blatantly push their own products so beware.

£1000 will buy you a nice electric bike but obviously not a Kalkoff which is arguably the best bike available. All I would say is when you visit the local dealer don't go in with blinker on. There is absolutely nothing wrong with front hub drives or rack mounted batteries or, come to that batteries that are other than 36v 9/10ah - your friends Kalkoff isn't!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The hills in your area will not be especially troubling for most electric bikes so a hub motor e-bike should meet your needs ok and both keep things simple and the cost down in most cases. An 8 speed hub gear will be more than adequate if you are set on a hub gear to minimise maintenance and disc or hub brakes also need less maintenance.

You are on the heavy side and with knee problems so you do need to avoid the lowest powered models, so after seeing those that appeal to you, check out your choices in here so we can advise of any possible pitfalls regarding power and range.

You'll may have to travel a little to get choice, but check out the e-bike supplier websites to see what dealers are available to you nearby.

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
If you ever venture near Northampton, you'll be welcome to have a go on my Agattu, ( if it's still here as It is listed in the for sales section )
I can second the Kalkhoff for quality & reliability.
I only have experience of two E-Bikes my Agattu & a Ansmann.
The Ansmann was a big disappointment because the assistance only kicked in once I was moving and not when you very first start peddling, and with bad knees that's where you need it the most.
On the other hand the Agattu has instant assistance and while my knees were at there worst it ment the difference between cycling or just giving up !

D

Deleted member 4366

Checkout Woosh bikes. They're in your price range and their shop is in Southend, which isn't too far from you. With a hub-motor, you don't get any problems with gears. Even with a crank motor, the problem's not that bad. It's only noticeable when changing down going up steep hills.

The Sirocco Sport-TS | Electric Bikes from Woosh

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Is West London too far for you?.....the new London Electric Bike Company has Kudos,Haibike,KTM and BH bikes,over 30 different models from £495.00 to £3500.00....the address is 25 High Street,Hampton Wick,Kingston upon Thames. They are only 200 yards from 50 Cycles,the importer of Kalkhoff into the UK,same street. Both in walking distance of Hampton Wick rail station.
Now probably the best location to view and test ride many different e-bikes.
Whatever your final choice I hope you enjoy it.
KudosDave

Cyber-_-man

Just Joined
Oct 28, 2013
Hi.
I am looking to buy an electric bike (with or without throttle). So some information please.... I am 59 years old, weigh 95 kilos and have some problems with my knees. I have about £1000 to spend ( Maybe some more as I may buy it through a cycle to work scheme. Does anyone know how much this might save me?) I live in Essex and its fairly flat. My intended use will be mainly short journeys, about 10 miles, but way get longer as I get used to cycling again. I have read quite a lot on various sites but have not understood all of it!!! I'm thinking of rear hub or crank drive. A frame mounted Lithium battery (36v 9-10A I think), as opposed to a carrier mounted one. Are the type of brakes something that needs considering? Where I'm getting lost is understanding hub and crank motors and gears. I've read about problems with gear changing with derailleur gears? How is it mending punctures with the various systems? I have friends in Germany that have Kalkoff 2012 Aguttu C8 HS Impulse 8-G Nexus. I believe these have hub gears and crank drive. They say 8 gears are enough. Is this good? I suspect if the answer is yes I will not be able to afford this combination. I know he paid about £1500. I would like to buy from a shop. Where is a good place to try some out. I live near Chelmsford.
I know this is a rather mixed request, but any imput would be greatly appreciated. I am also sure I will have lots more to ask very soon.
Hi I am 6ft 1 and 105 kg. I have a cyclamatic power plus that didnt cost the earth £499 new I got mine secondhand for 240. I put a suspension seat post and dutch handlebars on it together with the obligatory speedo and hey presto 25 kmh , good hill assistance and about 25-30 mile range. Only issue I have had in 1200 km is noisy crank bearings which cost 20 quid to replace.