What to do with integrated brake and gear levers?

sans pareil

Just Joined
Jul 3, 2018
Hello Everyone!

My first post on this forum; please be gentle, etc, etc .

This is a brakes/gear lever question that relates to the potential installation of a Bafang 250w mid-drive kit to my bog-standard Giant Escape 3, 2015 model. I would like to get the opinion of people on the forum on the query below.

Although I have yet to buy the kit, I think I have most of the conversion process sussed except the front brake mechanics. The Escape 3 has combined brake levers and gear change. On mine these are Shimano EZ FIRE 40 brake levers integrated with EZ FIRE 40 21-speed shifters. The new brake levers in the Bafang kit come with a built in safety cut out switch and because I'll dispense with the three chain rings, using the Bafang rear brake lever's not a problem. My challenge is understanding how to install the Bafang front brake (with it's cut-out), when I need to retain gear selection on the cassette. Is it simply a case of sourcing something like a Shimano Tourney SL-TX30 gear lever and installing this next to the Bafang front brake lever, or is there a different way to get a safety cut out?

Many thanks.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
that's also my solution.
you have the new sensored brake levers with the kit.
You lose the front derailleur with the BBS kit, the front shifter does not need replacing.

harrys

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 1, 2016
Chicago, USA
I like the Shimano XL-310 quickfire trigger shifters. They fit well with the cheapo e-brake levers, throttle, and 3 button unit. I don't miss the combo brake/twist_shifters on my my first conversion at all. In the US, one shifter was about $17USD.

Now if I had a bike with nice hydraulic brakes, I'd be looking for an exterrnal cutoff switch I could mount. But I don't have such a bike that I would want to convert.

sans pareil

Just Joined
Jul 3, 2018
Thanks for these two contributions. Much appreciated. It looks like I'll be spending an additional GBP £9 on that well-known auction site, then.

Cheers!

minexplorer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2017
Four Lanes,Cornwall
Hello Everyone!

My first post on this forum; please be gentle, etc, etc .

This is a brakes/gear lever question that relates to the potential installation of a Bafang 250w mid-drive kit to my bog-standard Giant Escape 3, 2015 model. I would like to get the opinion of people on the forum on the query below.

Although I have yet to buy the kit, I think I have most of the conversion process sussed except the front brake mechanics. The Escape 3 has combined brake levers and gear change. On mine these are Shimano EZ FIRE 40 brake levers integrated with EZ FIRE 40 21-speed shifters. The new brake levers in the Bafang kit come with a built in safety cut out switch and because I'll dispense with the three chain rings, using the Bafang rear brake lever's not a problem. My challenge is understanding how to install the Bafang front brake (with it's cut-out), when I need to retain gear selection on the cassette. Is it simply a case of sourcing something like a Shimano Tourney SL-TX30 gear lever and installing this next to the Bafang front brake lever, or is there a different way to get a safety cut out?

Many thanks.
Had same sitch with my giant sedona,bbs01 350w kit.No way to avoid it. chuck your brake /gear combies in your spares that will never get used box.An fit a simple shimano thumb shifter.