What to look for in a bike for Bafang

arrkaye

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 13, 2017
london
What kind of things do I look for in order to fit this kit on a bike?

I'd ideally like a 700c bike with disc brakes, but other than that, is there anything on the BB/cockpit that I need to check to ensure the kit will fit?

Thanks in advance.

Steve UKLSRA

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 29, 2015
Porthmadog
www.ukbusas.org
Cockpit (fnar) is nothing to worry about...BB is another matter altogether, I've seen some right cockups with the motor hanging vertical and you've got to watch how the chainstay "flares" out too...hope that helps

• :D
Reactions: grldtnr
D

Deleted member 4366

Hang on. Which Bafang? Front wheel. back wheel or crank-drive. If wheel, which version of the motor as there's several of each.

Reactions: Steve UKLSRA

Steve UKLSRA

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 29, 2015
Porthmadog
www.ukbusas.org
Hang on. Which Bafang? Front wheel. back wheel or crank-drive. If wheel, which version of the motor as there's several of each.
Ooops, sorry D8, didn't even think of that lol....I see Bafang and think BBS!

arrkaye

Nov 13, 2017
london
I'm thinking the crank drive vacant installed on a hybrid bike.

Can anyone suggest any models of hybrid bike that's suitable? Maybe some Carrera..?

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Any bike with a nice uncomplicated BB area. If you have bumps and bends and miscellaneous tubes you might be able to fit one. 68 mm long BB. You won't need more than a 350 W BBS02 unless you are into motocross.

arrkaye

Nov 13, 2017
london

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Nice looking bike just missing the fairing so that you can get all the speed you want from the BBSHD...

The BBSHD is a motocross motor, you don't need that kind of power on a road bike, a BBS02 is plenty enough, even my "250 W" GSM gets me to 45 km/h (28 m.p.h.) on the flat with a 36 V battery and 15 A controller.

You will also save money, maintenance (chains, cassettes, brake pads...) and stress. Nobody on the road expects you to be doing 45 km/h on a push bike so they will constantly pull out in front of you at stop signs.

Now if you were telling me you wanted a BBSHD in a vélomobile unrestricted to drive everywhere at an average of 60 km/h and with a top speed of around 90 km/h you have all of my attention :rolleyes:

D

Deleted member 4366

Thebike looks OK, but the brakes and tyres won't be able to cope with the speed and extra weight of the BBSHD and the heavy battery you'll need to go with it. Your need wide tyres for that sort of speed and power.

For that sort of bike, you should aim for a top speed in the mid 20s mph.

Also, there's no advantage in using a crank drive on a bike that you're going to use on the road. You'll get a much better ride, a more releable and easier to fix system and less maintenance from a hub-motor at the expense of a slightly more difficult installation.

Finally, it's not worth buying a new bike if you're going to convert it. You can get nearly new used ones for half the price.

arrkaye

Nov 13, 2017
london
Thanks.

I've decided to change the bike to a hybrid with suspension for some light off-road and for a more comfortable ride at higher speeds.

Like this one:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/gt-transeo-30-2017-hybrid-bike/

It has the suspension and hydraulic brakes which should help with the stopping power.

I'm also downgrading to the BBS02 750W, as suggested.

I'm having trouble finding good used bikes in my area of this calibre. I'd rather pay a little more for what I want and recoup some of the money on selling the parts I don't need anymore.

Last edited:
Reactions: Steve UKLSRA

tommie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 13, 2013
Co. Down, N. Ireland, U.K.
s-l1600_lzn.jpg P1000781_lzn.jpg Very misleading info re. the BBS HD

I have both, the 02 and the HD. The HD version i have on a Whyte hybrid bike, it weighs in at 19.5 less the battery, so normal ebike weight.
Don`t think speed as regards either, think torque and loads of it without the stress. Yes you can gear them up and they will be fast ok.
The HD you can compare to a 3.5ltr Merc diesel, smooth and effortless.

BBSHD kit at the moment around £480 - £500

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
Thats the price of motor only.
Battery is extra.
I have a BBSHD on a Marin Muirwoods hybrid and its perfect for getting up the steep hills where I live,
You can run it at full power all day without worrying about burning the controller out unlike the BBS02.

• Agree
Reactions: tommie