What Torque For Motor Shaft Nuts ?

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Probably a silly/anal question, but is there a standard torque setting for tightening the motor shaft nuts in the dropouts ?

I tend to do mine by feel....

That all sounded so wrong :eek:

Regards

Jerry

Last edited:

Shannock

Pedelecer
Apr 2, 2012
Sheringham, Norfolk
Hi Jerry,

I notice that Ezee suggest 35Nm. I could torque mine on the nearside but can't get a socket on the offside due to the cables, guard preventing it. I suppose there could be an openended torque bar out there somewhere, like you I do mine by feel until I can't move the spanner and I put a lot of 'welly' behind it.

Pete

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Thanks Pete,

On mine there is a plug that I can undo which would allow me to slip a closed ended torque spanner over it. I am thinking in investing in one. Any recommendations anyone ?

My feel tends to be a lighter touch, by holding the spanner very near the nut end and doing it up tight rather than hanging off the the other end of it for max levage!

Use to do that with car nuts in my youth though, in fact use to stand and jump up and down on them to undo them lol

Regards

Jerry

neptune

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2012
Boston lincs
If you can not get a socket on, and thus a torque wrench, use an open ended spanner and a "fish scale" type weighing device, of the type that has a ring on the top and a hook at the bottom.You might have to use a calculator as well. Lorry wheel nuts used to be left hand thread on the left side of the vehicle. You used to have to jump up and down on a 6 foot lever to tighten them. Later they changed to a fine thread, and a torque wrench was essential. The max torque a thread can stand depends on the thread pitch, and the bolts diameter. I always wondered if there was a table of torque values for different diameters and threads.

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Ah good point. Brain is not in gear, of course a wrench with a socket would not work on the cable side either lol

Ps Something like this might do the trick ?

Way too anal lol

Regards

Jerry

Last edited:

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Oh now I understand what you mean. An open ended spanner with one of these lol

Regards

Jerry

neptune

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2012
Boston lincs
Yes Jerry, that type of thing. Mine does not look quite as posh as that , I found it on a rubbish tip about 30 years ago. Having thought about it, you could probably use a long ring spanner , and tighten it by pushing it with the bathroom scales. Getting in the right position to read the numbers might involve the skills of a contortionist though.
Apparently, Torque settings are dependent on a number of factors in addition to bolt diameter and thread pitch. The recommended setting is typically 65% of the failure force. It also depends if the thread is dry, lubricated with oil, or with anti seize compound. Then there are materials to consider, mild steel, high tensile steel, or various alloys. Bear in mind that the axle end where the cable enters is already well below its original strength as a result of being drilled to take the cable. To be honest, 35 Newton metres seems excessive to me.
Tightening bolts by feel is a thing we learn by experience. If it falls off it was too loose, if it shears off it was too tight. As we progressively tighten a nut , progressively more effort is required with each turn or part turn. We subconsciously feel the point where the amount of effort required stops increasing and reaches a plateau. At that stage we are in danger of exceeding the material`s modulus of elasticity.
As a kid, I asked my dad how far to tighten a nut. His reply has stayed with me all my life. His advice was "Tight, but not silly tight". Words of wisdom indeed.
Remember when using the fish scales method that torque is quoted in Newton Metres which is the same as Kilogram Metres. So extend the spanner to 1 metre long by taping it to a bit of wood , unless you are smart enough to allow for the spanner length in your calculations.

Last edited:

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
"His advice was "Tight, but not silly tight"

For sure. Our fathers back then didn't have access to the many tools we do and I suspect were far more laid back than we are.

Regards

Jerry

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Obviously, it depends on how strong you are, but could someone apply shearing forces on the nut and shaft, if an 8" open ended spanner is used?
Are we talking shearing forces only when someone stands on the spanner, or uses an excessively long spanner?
I just grab the top of the frame and pull on the 8" spanner till I can exert no more pulling force.
I feel the limit of the length of spanner and my strength, may allow a safe torque to be applied.
Any views on this?

neptune

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2012
Boston lincs
As you say it depends how strong you are, but also on other factors. It is likely that the use of excessive force will strip the threads before shearing the shaft. generally threads on bikes are fine threads and so easier to strip. As well as your strength it depends on how hard your hands are, and your pain threshold. Eight inches is about one fifth of a metre. So suppose that the recommended torque is 20 Nm. You would have to apply 20X5=100 kilograms of force on an eight inch spanner . Dont give it all you`ve got.Tight but not silly tight... A dodge I have used in the past, is this. If you have a torque wrench but no data, make a note of how much torque it takes to undo the nut, and use that figure. If you clean and oil the threads before reassembly, deduct 20% from the figure.

Last edited:

dingrpdl

Pedelecer
Apr 21, 2012
Hong Kong
While we are on the topic of shaft nuts, does anyone know the size/thread designator for the shaft of the 80mm Tongxin motor? I am trying to find replacement nuts for it.

I tried an M12, M10 and 3/8" and they did not fit.

Richard

Davanti

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 10, 2012
Deja vu?

Probably a silly/anal question, but is there a standard torque setting for tightening the motor shaft nuts in the dropouts ?

I tend to do mine by feel....

That all sounded so wrong :eek:

Regards

Jerry
Hey Jerry ... I once 'felt' like that myself! A customer approached me in a crowded workplace ... anything I can help you with, Sir? ... Well, this may be an anal question, but ... that's OK Sir, I do anal ...

You could have heard a pin drop! :eek:

dingrpdl

Pedelecer
Apr 21, 2012
Hong Kong
While we are on the topic of shaft nuts, does anyone know the size/thread designator for the shaft of the 80mm Tongxin motor? I am trying to find replacement nuts for it.
I think I found the answer to my own question. They are M12-1.25mm. Not the regular M12 which is 1.75mm.

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Yep if you search I even posted links where you can get them.

Regards

Jerry

aseb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 12, 2009
Crystalyte advised 40Nm for my 5300 front hub motor but it uses a 14mm spindle, not the more usual 12mm.
The thread on it is M14 fine, I got nyloc nuts off ebay for it. btw it's safer to use steel nuts rather than be tempted by stainless steel ones- if the thread gets damaged or stripped your spindle would be more damaged that a stainless nut would.

Last edited: