What type of replacement tyre

david1949

Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2011
Belfast
I have a Oxygen e bike 8 months old and i am looking advice on replacing the tyres on it
something that will give me less drag and make me go a little faster i had thought of something like 26x1.5 but someone on this forum will know better than me the tyres fitted are 26x1.9 Kenda/ and i would like the new tyres to be puncture resistant .

Old_Dave

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 15, 2012
Dumfries & Galloway
Hi david1949

I'd advise not to bother chasing a dream that's achievable on test equipment at the manufacturers factory or on a speed test track, but stick with what you have..

Any gains are more than out weighed by other factors (less drag = less grip) that are required for 'normal' every day riding.

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
I have settled on Continetal Travel Contact as my favorite. They are not quite as bullet proof as Schwalbe Marathon Plus but they roll better, are lighter and grip better. Just MHO of course

hech

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 29, 2011
argyll
thrashing around in the mud yesterday on the old tonaro I resolved to be rid of the stock Kenda 1.9's and fit a decent knobbly tyre to my rear. Made me think how completely useless a front wheel drive would be on these very muddy and slippy conditions.

david1949

Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2011
Belfast
OK thanks but can i go from a 26x1.9 size down to a 26.1.5 size on a e bike are do the tyres have to stay at 26x1.9 .

Last edited:

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
OK thanks but can i go from a 26x1.9 size down to a 26.1.5 size on a e bike are do the tyres have to stay at 26x1.9 .
I belive you should be able to fit anywhere between 1.5 and 2.1 but your prob best of just giving oxygen a ring to be 100% sure

they'll be a noticablly less comfortable - or I'd expect that

david1949

Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2011
Belfast
Thank,s Kirstins but i think other members have changed there tyre on there e bikes and have seen a great improvement in performance so hoping to here from some of them as to what is the best tyre,s to fit.

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Thank,s Kirstins but i think other members have changed there tyre on there e bikes and have seen a great improvement in performance so hoping to here from some of them as to what is the best tyre,s to fit.
Sure, I'll try to a little clearer. so Yes, your rims should take 1.5 as generally MTB rims will take 1.5 to 2.1

As regards "great improvement in performance" - what exactly do you mean ? better grip, better rolling resistance, better puncture resistance, better absorption of bumps (i.e increased comfort) ?

I'm not trying to be difficult but its just these things are a trade off !

I get the impression - please let me know if I'm wrong - that you are seeking faster tires ie. less rolling resistance, less weight but with some puncture resistance. IF thats the case you've got a trade off decision to make right there

By reducing the tire volume and increasing the pressure you'll get a faster tire. But it will be less comfortable and less absorbing of bumps. At the same time reducing the amount of rubber in the tire and removing puncture resistance also makes them lighter and faster. But they you run a risk of punctures. The Conti Travel contacts that I recommended are puncture resistant and take high pressures. They are fast rolling - have a slick centre with tread on the edges for cornering. I think they are a nice blend of light, puntucre resistant, grip and fast for road going ebikes (with the occasional bit of light trail)

Does this help at all ?

jhruk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2009
I have a Oxygen e bike 8 months old and i am looking advice on replacing the tyres on it
something that will give me less drag and make me go a little faster i had thought of something like 26x1.5 but someone on this forum will know better than me the tyres fitted are 26x1.9 Kenda/ and i would like the new tyres to be puncture resistant .
For those wishing to learn a little about bicycle tyres Schwalbe publish an excellent, to my mind, little booklet which you can download as a pdf here.

Page seven covers recommended tyre-rim width combinations – note the wide range.

I find their tyres quite good as well.

david1949

Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2011
Belfast
Thanks for the reply Kirstins you have explained it very well i an looking for less rolling resistance, less weight but with some puncture resistance. So i think i will go with your recommendation and go for the
Conti Travel Contact 26x1.5 .

Sure, I'll try to a little clearer. so Yes, your rims should take 1.5 as generally MTB rims will take 1.5 to 2.1

As regards "great improvement in performance" - what exactly do you mean ? better grip, better rolling resistance, better puncture resistance, better absorption of bumps (i.e increased comfort) ?

I'm not trying to be difficult but its just these things are a trade off !

I get the impression - please let me know if I'm wrong - that you are seeking faster tires ie. less rolling resistance, less weight but with some puncture resistance. IF thats the case you've got a trade off decision to make right there

By reducing the tire volume and increasing the pressure you'll get a faster tire. But it will be less comfortable and less absorbing of bumps. At the same time reducing the amount of rubber in the tire and removing puncture resistance also makes them lighter and faster. But they you run a risk of punctures. The Conti Travel contacts that I recommended are puncture resistant and take high pressures. They are fast rolling - have a slick centre with tread on the edges for cornering. I think they are a nice blend of light, puntucre resistant, grip and fast for road going ebikes (with the occasional bit of light trail)

Does this help at all ?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

Thank you all for your replies it has helped it is good to have a forum like this where there is so many helpful people
Here's another one for you. Schwalbe City Jets would be a very good match for you bike if you want efficiency. They have a very pointy profile so that only a very narrow slick band is in contact with the road when you're going straight, but the contact area increases in size for more grip as you lean over. They're designed specifically for low rolling resistance. Grip is not so good in the wet, but you can't have everything. The size you want is 26 x 1.9

fishingpaul

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2007
thrashing around in the mud yesterday on the old tonaro I resolved to be rid of the stock Kenda 1.9's and fit a decent knobbly tyre to my rear. Made me think how completely useless a front wheel drive would be on these very muddy and slippy conditions.
Dont forget front wheel drive hub =2 wheel drive bike,and in my opinion the best solution if used properly.

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
I have the Matharan Plus road slicks on my 26" MTB as I wanted puncture resistance...they are a good choice if you want lower weight and better lower rolling resistance for speed on roads..but not so great if you're riding off-road, although saying that I have used a number of times on dirt tracks and grass, never came off once! No punctures either, despite covering 100's of miles. The only criticism I would make is that they don't offer the same cushion effect as big knobbly MTB tyres..you feel the bumps and curbs more

Last edited:

david1949

Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2011
Belfast
Here's another one for you. Schwalbe City Jets would be a very good match for you bike if you want efficiency. They have a very pointy profile so that only a very narrow slick band is in contact with the road when you're going straight, but the contact area increases in size for more grip as you lean over. They're designed specifically for low rolling resistance. Grip is not so good in the wet, but you can't have everything. The size you want is 26 x 1.9
THANK YOU d8veh they look a very good tyre but i have ordered up 2 new 26x1.5 Continetal Travel Contact

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
Thanks for the reply Kirstins you have explained it very well i an looking for less rolling resistance, less weight but with some puncture resistance. So i think i will go with your recommendation and go for the
Conti Travel Contact 26x1.5 .
Just to further reassure, the Contis are likely going to give you more of what you're looking for than Schwalbe Marathon Plus. I've actually just changed over to Marathon Plus Tour tyres in preparation for the inevitable hedgerow debris which will be all over the lanes soon when the cutting and laying takes place ... and neither weight nor a reduction in rolling resistance were on the cards ! They're fine unless you want to corner sharply at higher speeds or tackle black ice and very wet tarmac regularly (quite a few people have reported issues on those fronts) - but I'm fully expecting to be slowed down a bit overall.

Puncture-resistance was top priority in choosing them. Let's hope it pays off as they're beasts to fit and not something I'd want to be repairing at the roadside !

Some helpful reviews on the Contis themselves here : Continental Travel Contact Wire Tyre | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com

I've only seen Travel Contact tyres in 26"x1.75" (where did you find those 1.5" ones ?)

... but the Sport Contact version comes in a 26"x1.6" if you're after that bit more nip you alluded to earlier in the thread, whilst still getting the Conti SafetySystem puncture protection built in. They're pretty cheap here right now too :

Continental Sport Contact Rigid Tyre, TYRES ROAD/TRI/TRACK RIGID

david1949

Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2011
Belfast
My new Continental Travel Contact tyres was waiting for me when i came home to-night so after i get my dinner i will go out to the garage and fit them on the bike so here,s hoping that there is a improvement all round i will let you all know in about a week,s time how i am getting on with them and if they were worth the money.

C

Cyclezee

Hi David,

I am sure your Conti TC tyres will be fine.

I was rather put off them when I got a front wheel punture less than a mile after fitting, a large thorn that went straight through the centre of the tread.:(

Since then I have stuck to Schwalbe, but as you know, no tyres are punture proof.;)