What's happening at 50 Cycles?

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
"Despite this we are proud of the fact that we did manage to exchange every single one of those customers motors ourselves and over the years kept the majority of customers on the road."

I had to replace one of those motors myself because 50C completely washed their hands of the matter. I spoke with them personally, but all I got was that they were no longer the nominated importer, so find your own solution. I can remember at least three other forum members in that situation, so that statement above simply isn't true.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
The buck stops with directors of the company you deal with. They have ultimate responsibility. It is that simple
Sadly not always the case.

Perhaps things are different now, but many years ago, I regected a new vehicle, and had to take the three company directors, the importer and the finance company to court. Luckily I won the two day court case, but it was five years of my life put on hold and wasted.
With all having a solicitor and a barrister, the cost to me had I lost, would have meant loosing my house.
It didn't end there though, as the directors of the companies made the one that I first delt with, dormant to avoid paying all costs. The attempt failed though, as a high court sheriff pursued the directors, and luckily for me did at least get my money back for everything except the interest on the money that I had paid out.
It certainly wasn't a pleasant experience.

• Informative
Reactions: flecc

50Hertz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 2, 2019
I would just like to add some comments to the context of this discussion. I ordered a bike from 50 cycles over two months ago and was slightly worried about all the noise surrounding the Company. Well I would just like to confirm that Scott has over these last 2 weeks kept in touch with me regarding the delivery progress and has today personally delivered my bike to me at home together with a small gift which was appreciated. You know in life some of us hit a patch of bad luck and maybe a little more understanding would not go amiss, and maybe we shouldn't always be so quick to judge when we don't know the full circumstances. Tolerance seems to be sadly lacking in the world today and I for one still have faith in human nature.
I wonder if this “new member”has connections with 50 Cycles?

50Hertz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 2, 2019
While I know you might not mean it, it's almost insulting to say we don't know the full circumstances. Many of us, like me, have known the full circumstances around 50cycles for over 13 years. We know that for the odd good experience, and I've had two good ones myself long ago, there's many very unhappy ones that their customers have suffered.
flecc, I know you are too wise to be taken in by this“new member.” Your 13 years of knowledge will tell you how these guys operate. Wink, wink

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
flecc, I know you are too wise to be taken in by this“new member.” Your 13 years of knowledge will tell you how these guys operate. Wink, wink
Indeed, I almost didn't answer, being certain it was a plant.

However, I'm always concious of the large number of visitors browsing the site and for them an answer had value. Only a few days ago a check showed 24 members and 393 visitors and at the moment 36 members, 216 visitors.

Reactions: 50Hertz

Muddyfox

Pedelecer
Dec 30, 2018
Nottingham
They currently have a 2014 Kolkhoff BS10 with a Bosch 500w motor for sale via eBay. Am I correct in understanding this bike is not UK road legal ?
I am new to eBikes so for give my ignorance. I live local to their showroom and have been invited to view this bike. Cheers

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
They currently have a 2014 Kolkhoff BS10 with a Bosch 500w motor for sale via eBay. Am I correct in understanding this bike is not UK road legal ?
I am new to eBikes so for give my ignorance. I live local to their showroom and have been invited to view this bike. Cheers
Only legal as a speed pedelec i.e light moped - with DVLA registration, insurance etc.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It's not road legal as a pedelec, since it's an S Class high speed e-bike. If it hasn't been removed you'll see a number plate bracket on the rear mudguard.

For use here you'd have to present it's certificate of conformity to the DVLA and register it as an L1e-B moped, subsequently complying with all the moped rules. That includes having third party moped insurance and never using any bicycle paths, roads only.

N.B. Post crossed with Wicky's.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
the motors are the same as the 250w ones but have different speed limits set in the software 15.5 and 28 for sclass motors.

a dongle would be even faster tho with the right gearing ;)

• Dislike
Reactions: Amoto65

AL68

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 25, 2019
Hello all, I'm definitly not a plant, I've just looked in the mirror and can't see any green leaves!!
This forum appears to have some good discussion points but this thread is now not one of them.
I think that some of you need to maybe get out a little more on your electric bikes rather than spend your time hunched over a PC.
For the record my BH bike arrived last Friday, personally delivered by Scott himself, as far as I'm concerned that's my contract with them fulfilled and I shall from now on not be wasting my time on here again.
The BH bike, as I thought it would be, is great, well speced and good value for money. I bought it because of their great reputation
Again for the record all my dealings have been cordial and Scott has kept in touch with me regarding the ongoing situation.
I am just trying to give a balanced view from my own dealings with 50 Cycles.
I have no intention of proving that I am genuine as I refuse to get involved with petty arguments which remind me of conversations involving school kids.
The administrators should take a look at this thread and start to better police the comments some people are making.
So finally, write what you like it will just be words blowing in the wind as far as I'm concerned............

D

Deleted member 25121

Hello all, I'm definitly not a plant, I've just looked in the mirror and can't see any green leaves!!
This forum appears to have some good discussion points but this thread is now not one of them.
I think that some of you need to maybe get out a little more on your electric bikes rather than spend your time hunched over a PC.
For the record my BH bike arrived last Friday, personally delivered by Scott himself, as far as I'm concerned that's my contract with them fulfilled and I shall from now on not be wasting my time on here again.
The BH bike, as I thought it would be, is great, well speced and good value for money. I bought it because of their great reputation
Again for the record all my dealings have been cordial and Scott has kept in touch with me regarding the ongoing situation.
I am just trying to give a balanced view from my own dealings with 50 Cycles.
I have no intention of proving that I am genuine as I refuse to get involved with petty arguments which remind me of conversations involving school kids.
The administrators should take a look at this thread and start to better police the comments some people are making.
So finally, write what you like it will just be words blowing in the wind as far as I'm concerned............
Bye Scott

Muddyfox

Pedelecer
Dec 30, 2018
Nottingham
Thank you all for your quick and knowledgeable responses.
Soundwave mentioned software speed limitations. How difficult would it be reprogramm the software to reduce it down to 15.5 mhp ?
Cheers

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
AL68 can't see the green leaves because it's nearly winter but the roots are pretty well established.

• :D
Reactions: ebiker99

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Thank you all for your quick and knowledgeable responses.
Soundwave mentioned software speed limitations. How difficult would it be reprogramm the software to reduce it down to 15.5 mhp ?
Cheers
you cant it is locked down at the factory as imo they use different firmware version for the 2 motors at different speed limits, the usa have 20mph limit, dealers can not even change this.

only option would be to change the motor to a 250w one.

Muddyfox

Pedelecer
Dec 30, 2018
Nottingham
you cant it is locked down at the factory as imo they use different firmware version for the 2 motors at different speed limits, the usa have 20mph limit, dealers can not even change this.

only option would be to change the motor to a 250w one.
Thanks soundwave. Looks like best option is to leave this version in their showroom. Shame as I liked the look of this eBike.
Cheers.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Thanks soundwave. Looks like best option is to leave this version in their showroom. Shame as I liked the look of this eBike.
Cheers.
buy it if you want it you wont have a problem unless you kill someone i have had a dongle since 2014 and never been a problem as you wont get pulled over buy the police no one ever has lol.

• Dislike
Reactions: Amoto65