What's happening at 50 Cycles?

oriteroom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 13, 2008
Can you point out a real customer on the forum?
ME!!!

50cycles in their hey day, prior to the ‘Impulse‘ motor fiasco, were helpful and a useful source of spares and advice. We bought two bikes in July 2008 from them and joined this forum within days of those purchases. (no jonnie-come-lately then!). The Panasonic motor-ed bikes they sold being, and still are, absolutely superb. I now get great advice and spares from two companies in Germany and Holland.

I got caught though when considering an update for my wife’s bike, at the time when motors were being changed. Regrettably, I bought an Impulse2 driven one, started to read the alarming reports as the Impulse saga developed, and ‘moved it on’ at a considerable loss, but less than the loss I would have suffered had I kept it. I made the buyer fully aware of the risks, he didn’t seemed concerned as he had just purchased EVO one with the battery in the downtube and wanted ours for his wife. Wonder how he got on?

Fortunately, I retained the wife’s original bike, mainly because she didn’t really like the characterless paintwork, style, and heavy new bike, preferring her ProConnect all the time. So, I set about getting spare bikes, as little used, well looked after second hand bikes off of ebay to have good Kalkhoff Panasonic bikes in reserve. This was well before the more recent ‘jumping and the second hand trade-in bandwagon that 50cycles jumped on, so picked up barely used bikes for about £400 a piece. Thus we have Kalkhoff electric bikes on which we have covered 50,000 miles (2x 18k, 9k, and 5k respectively), and all bikes still ride like new and should ‘see us out’!

So, yes, there are real customers on this forum, who have helped each another at times, with flecc being a particularly good source of technical advice and market knowledge. I followed and commented on the original Impulse2 thread, and always took note of threads related to Kalkhoff and 50cycles including this present thread.

Over the years we have been stopped and spoken to about our bikes by countless passer-byes. In the first 5years, prior to Impulse2, we enthused wholeheartedly about the bikes and never hesitated to recommend them or 50cycles. How times have changed, would NEVER offer such are recommendation nowadays, neither Kalkhoff nor 50cycles in whatever it latest incarnation is.

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
they had the original Kalkhoff thread locked and then another was started in vengeance as so many impulse 2 motors were clankoffs and they fully well knew of this and still sold them anyway as problems were first noted on the German forum as soon as they was released.

there final solution was endless replacement motors as the evo motor was also not fit for purpose and still sold those anyway as well.

there is still support for the impulse motors here, and from the German site these fail a lot less than the ones 50c sold from the start, i would still never buy one tho.

This engine has been completely redesigned and improved. Specifically
, the engine was modified as follows:

- new freewheel 4 instead of 2 pawls, now trowalisiert
- drive shaft now anti-rust
- improved torque sensor calibration
- larger bearings
- rotor finely balanced
- better housing sealing and membrane

Babsbike

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 29, 2019
Is he a real customer. I do not believe so. Show me an invoice. You may have scared all the real ones away.

(Promotional video removed by admin)
Dear Mr 50 Cycles. I am Babsbike and a real customer as well as initiator of this thread. I sent you a claim for reimbursement by recorded delivery dated October 8. You have not replied. Why not?

nigelbb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2019
I have been a customer of Woosh and recommend them for all the reasons many others have posted as well.
I have never been a customer of 50 Cycles; I think it highly unlikely I ever will be.
I too am a very happy customer of Woosh and recommend them highly.

I have never been a customer of 50 Cycles & never will be given the attitude exhibited in posts on this thread.

50Hertz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 2, 2019
It looks like business as usual at 50 Cycles this Christmas. I keep getting emails like the one below despite unsubscribing from their list.

Advertising removed by Admin

Last edited by a moderator:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
50, you should remove the attachment as it's advertising material.

Superwillem

Just Joined
Nov 11, 2019
I am also a customer. My bike is currently hold for brokerage so I won't get it before christmas. But I believe I will receive my bike before new year. This will be my first ever pedelec. I am excited! I asked around and lots of people are saying BH are a good brand. But we will see ....

Proof.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
When you do get your bike Willem, keep us informed of how it performs and any issues that may arise.
The only real meaningful feed back we have had was about 5 years ago when EddiePJ suffered misfortunes with his bike and wasn't suitably impressed with the CS, maybe that has changed now and your feed back would be good for others considering the brand.

Superwillem

Just Joined
Nov 11, 2019
When you do get your bike Willem, keep us informed of how it performs and any issues that may arise.
The only real meaningful feed back we have had was about 5 years ago when EddiePJ suffered misfortunes with his bike and wasn't suitably impressed with the CS, maybe that has changed now and your feed back would be good for others considering the brand.
Yeah I will keep you guys updated. I am getting this one

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
The dreaded BH experience.

Two things helped with getting a full refund with that one. Dave with his kind advice about the mythological regen, and my tracking down the main company director in Spain, and hounding him to death privately and on social media.

• :D
Reactions: soundwave

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Eddie I didn't want to put off Willem too much as yes your thoughts on the bike were not good at the time and proceeding posts, for Willem's sake hopefully they have got better.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I think that the biggest issue back then, was the importer. They went through two in a short period, neither of whom were any good, and made it impossible for the dealer to get things sorted. To compound things further, BH were always shut for some Spanish holiday or another.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I think that the biggest issue back then, was the importer. They went through two in a short period, neither of whom were any good, and made it impossible for the dealer to get things sorted. To compound things further, BH were always shut for some Spanish holiday or another.
So having had two dodgy importers, they've decided to go with 50 Cycles.

I wonder what the Spanish is for hat trick.

Onegirlandherbike

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 20, 2019
Kristin, I bought a new Kalkhoff Endeavour 5.I in August and had problems with the battery discharging all the time so 3 weeks ago the dealer finally replaced it but because my bike had been discontinued I got a considerable upgrade. I now have a Kalkhoff Endeavour 5.S XXL which has a shimano motor and battery and judging by the comments above about an impulse motor, I'm glad I've now got a shimano one. They also come with Bosch motors, which I believe are reputable too. So far, it's performing admirably.

Reactions: flecc and EddiePJ

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Off topic, but adding to the BH element. It is a shame that BH never got their act together, as the NEO range of bikes were by far some of the most well styled bikes at the time, and remain so even today. They had so much going for them, especially the NEO Race with it's road bike bias, and flat bars.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc
D

Deleted member 25121

Electric bikes had their most important decade in the 2010s.
I've heard that this culminated in 50 Cycles going bust owing £1,780,456.23, is this correct?
While the electric bike market prospered in the 2010s your company failed, why would anybody trust you now?

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
This appears to be yet another ad for a commercial cycle company, other fee paying advertisers please take note...

Reactions: EB1