• 19 to 21 mph

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • 21 to 23 mph

Votes: 1 2.8%

• Total voters

mrpscott

Pedelecer
Dec 12, 2010
As a late 50's asthmatic recreational road rider on my Neo Carbon I average 12 - 13 mph. I cycle around 50 miles each trip and whilst I have no doubt the bike is capable of much more I do like to 'smell the roses' on the way! These trips have on average total climbs c.2500'.

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
There's a lot to be said for taking it easy and taking in the scenery, and it isn't all about going as fast as you possibly can, I remind myself of that quite often, but it falls on deaf ears most of the time.

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
I fined that I now seem to be slowing down now after finding the E-force;)
It could be that I am finding places around me after 40+ years, or is it that I am now being nosey:rolleyes:
My average speed for any ride appears to be whatever I want it to be - up to about 14 mph.

Many of my rides average well below 10 mph, because I stop to take pictures, eat & generally enjoy the ride.

The only observation I'll make is that, since having an ebike, very few roadies have passed me & never uphill.

Probably coincidence...

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Hi Flecc, how do you store this information so you can put it all together.... Over time?

It's the recorded average in the wired cycle computer as the start point, then if it's battery shows a sign of starting to fail after a couple of years I note the average and the total miles. Then I start again with a new battery, gathering a new average accumulation, The two are easily amalgamated to give a mean average, and I've never got to a third battery yet. If I did I'd just repeat the recording.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oh yes I can see that makes sense. Unfortunately if I see anyone I know out on the canal I can be stood yapping for 30 minutes giving me an average of 5 or 6 mph!! I used to worry about it but am not so bothered now!.

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
A lot of cycle computers will disregard stopped time and give you an average on running time only, fairly sure mine does that. But I use a Garmin 200 now, and that works the same way, but a cycle computer is more accurate if set up correctly.

Reactions: rippedupno1

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
As long as you are completely stationary a cycle computer isn't recording averages though Phill, averages only being recorded against motion. Of course walking a bike makes an average very low.

N.B. Crossed with Arstu's post above.

Reactions: Gubbins

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
I had a Garmin 200, but chasing the stats (and anyone else in front of me), often left me so breathless I felt sick, so I sold it on ebay and bought the 500 with the HR strap (good sense isnt my strongest attribute) I dont exactly understand HR zones, but I know when it goes into the 170's its time to slow down!! Now I just use it and upload to Strava which nicely displays weekly totals n stuff. With the e bike I make the hilly rides private to avoid any confrontation. Last week I got 3 KOM's coming up Ilkley moor so dare not publish that!!

rippedupno1

Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2013
Dudley,west midlands
@Artstu, interesting re bike computers being more accurate, my readout on the Bs10 is always optimistic in both distance and mph/av mph compared to strava and endomondo which are both within a nb of each other, although iam sure i read something on the net that the kalkhoff/Bosch were renowned for being 8% optimistic.

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
Yes the GPS varies quite a lot, understandable given the huge distance it operates over. I get quite varying distances and elevation figures for identical rides. My friend gets some wild GPS traces from here phone all the time.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Most accurate speeds/distance/averages of all are from wired cycle computers, especially if accurately set and then fine tuned against a known mileage route.

I have an exact 4.9 mile measurement course which I ride at a constant distance from the road edges through bends. Then any error in recorded distance on that test run I tune out by fine adjustment of the wheel diameter setting in the cycle computer.

If I change the tyre type that's on the measurement wheel, I reset the fine tune by repeating that test run.

mrpscott

Pedelecer
Dec 12, 2010
I use a Satmap 10 with their whole UK map card ( a recent and dramatic drop in price allowed me to upgrade from the Central England map card) It gives me all the data I require (average moving speed, time cycling , total time total ascents and allows routes to be pre-set). Probably does loads more but I have not needed to delve deeper.
I have never checked it's absolute accuracy however actual distance to pre-set route is always pretty close.

Clockwise

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 28, 2013
I'm mostly riding unassisted atm swapping between my MTB and single speed racer, MTB average in the 12-13mphs and other 15-19mph both in strava. Strava has racked up 963 miles since the new year, not too shabby.

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
I'm mostly riding unassisted atm swapping between my MTB and single speed racer, MTB average in the 12-13mphs and other 15-19mph both in strava. Strava has racked up 963 miles since the new year, not too shabby.
Not bad, someone I follow has done 2,800 miles so far this year, with 215,000 feet of climbing !