Wheel build

halfmedley

Pedelecer
Jan 2, 2007
If I were to take the motor from my Mistral (26in wheel) and have it built into a 700c wheel (on a different bike), what would that do to the performance of the motor? According to electricbikesales website, the Mistral motor is 200W nominal, 720W peak.

Am I right in thinking it'll have the same effect as noted by Flecc's Quando/Torq comparisons, i.e. smaller wheel = better hill climbing, larger wheel = better speed on the flat, or am I being too simplistic?

john

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2007
Manchester
Yes, hill climbing will be reduced by about 10% (in theory at least).

Top speed will increase by about 10%, but whether you achieve that speed will depend on whether the motor can produce enough power to overcome the resistance at the time (depending on tyres, slope, wind etc).

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
From experience, doing this can result in more disappointing hill climbing than expected. When dealing with very limited amounts of power, a critical point can be reached when the results fall short of what should happen, as John implied when saying "in theory at least".

Trumpet

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 29, 2008
From experience, doing this can result in more disappointing hill climbing than expected. When dealing with very limited amounts of power, a critical point can be reached when the results fall short of what should happen, as John implied when saying "in theory at least".

Yes, speed falls - you drop down the efficiency curve quite quickly, not as quick as the tail-off at the top end but it is significant. You lose much more than just the straight linear ratio between wheel diameters and it can be a cascading reduction as you are left with rapidly reducing (EDIT) efficiency and up grinding to a near-halt. There is enough torgue to pull you along at a few mph but it is a bit like being stuck down a power well and not being able to get out.

Simulator and useful links...
ebikes.ca Hub Motor Simulator

Last edited:

halfmedley

Pedelecer
Jan 2, 2007
Thanks for the advice, seems like the theory and the reality wouldn't necessarily be the same. I am considering upgrading to a more expensive machine and was considering scavenging the motor etc from the Mistral for another project, but now perhaps I might just sell the complete Mistral instead.