Wheel builder in Birmingham/Black Country area

Darthpaul

Pedelecer
Mar 10, 2020
My best laid plans of buying a rear hub motor and getting it attached to my 26” rim have flown out the window as none of my lbs can do it. Does anyone know of anywhere in the West Midlands area that can build an electric hub motor up?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
D8veh/Vfr but he hasn't posted since he and another regular contributor had a little disagreement which was many months ago.

Depending on which hub motor who ever does it, a 1 x pattern will be best for spoke/nipple entry angle.

I don't understand why LBS can't do them because bikes now use 15/20 thru axles so they must be able to do them.

Last edited:

Darthpaul

Pedelecer
Mar 10, 2020
My usual store couldn’t do it as his truing stand is something from the ark and couldn’t deal with the cable coming out the side! Everyone else I spoke to wouldn’t do it as they said it needed thicker spokes than usual and weren’t prepared to source any. Finally found a store that’ll do it local enough though. Ended up having to buy a new rim though so it’s costing a lot more than my original estimate but that’s life I guess!

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Hubs don't need thicker spokes as they break to often due to lack of elasticity, 14g 2mm Sapim strongs are ideal and I use them on all my hubs.