Wheel builders

monkoffunk

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 28, 2010
So I took my Magic Pie to 3 different bike shops and they all looked at me like a space alien. Even the concept of electric bikes seemed strange to them. One though I meant an electric moped and said I should go to a motorbike shop.

I don't have an SJS cycles near me, I'm in Manchester, anyone know a bike shop that could build me a wheel?

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
You ship your motor to SJS, they will build, package and return it. I had no problems with them when they did this for me.

z0mb13e

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2009
Dorset
The alternative, if it doesn't sound too daunting, build it yourself!

It isn't as difficult as you might think, but you would need a wheel building stand. There are plenty of wheel building tutorial videos around the web and a few decent threads on here.

You might have fun working out the size of, and sourcing spokes. But there are spoke lenght calculators on the web too.

monkoffunk

Oct 28, 2010
The alternative, if it doesn't sound too daunting, build it yourself!

It isn't as difficult as you might think, but you would need a wheel building stand. There are plenty of wheel building tutorial videos around the web and a few decent threads on here.

You might have fun working out the size of, and sourcing spokes. But there are spoke lenght calculators on the web too.
Thanks, I'm almost considering it, just to see if the old duffer who owned one of the bike shops I tried was telling the truth when he suggested it was a herculean task I was asking for. Amusingly he said "And I suppose it's CHINESE!?" and when I said yes, he waved his hand a me dismissively and walked off.

Goes off to watch a youtube vid on it..

monkoffunk

Oct 28, 2010
You ship your motor to SJS, they will build, package and return it. I had no problems with them when they did this for me.
Ah!! I see. Superb. Assuming I break down in tears trying to build one myself, I will definitely use them.

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
So I took my Magic Pie to 3 different bike shops and they all looked at me like a space alien. Even the concept of electric bikes seemed strange to them. One though I meant an electric moped and said I should go to a motorbike shop.

I don't have an SJS cycles near me, I'm in Manchester, anyone know a bike shop that could build me a wheel?
Yes. Us. Actually we use a guy in Macclesfield who I can put you in contact with directly. You will have to supply the spokes but if you tell me the size I may be able to help.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Or if you do use Macclesfield and Bob doesn't have the spoke size, SJS have a full range of British made short length spokes priced for 6 spokes per purchase that are fine for hub motor wheels:

Short spokes at SJS

averhamdave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2009
Can someone give an indication of the cost to have a wheel built with me supplying only the hub and rim (26")? Thanks

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
Around £45~50 from SJS...

monkoffunk

Oct 28, 2010
Yes. Us. Actually we use a guy in Macclesfield who I can put you in contact with directly. You will have to supply the spokes but if you tell me the size I may be able to help.
That would be very helpful, could you PM me? Cheers.

tepol

Pedelecer
Jun 9, 2008

Sounds an awfully lot like those bike dealers reported about on Wiki Leaks.

Be careful.

;)