wheel building

johnp

Pedelecer
Dec 14, 2006
ba22
Hi
I am sorry I cant remember where I read it but last week I was reading about
having wheels built and figures of £70 to £80 was mentioned I dont know where the figures come from ,my local bike shop will build a wheel for £30 including spokes or you can buy a set of spokes for £14 incuding post from SJS cycles of Bridgwater and build it yourself or they will build it for £32 including spokes

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I agree John, and I was taken aback by that mention of around £80.

About £30 is currently typical for normal bike wheels, but it may be that the £80 referred to wheels including hub motors which can be far more awkward, given the spindle cables etc and the additional care needed.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
If this is any help... It is the estimate for a rebuilt rear wheel for my Wisper 905SE from ETS. Which was eventually done thanks to the kindness of David Miall under warranty.

the rim is a RHYNO model and the build was by SJS

"As promised here is the quote for the new wheel.
New strong wheel rim =£40
Build wheel and supply spokes=£35
Rework rim for angle of spokes and add washers incl parts=£19
Post and packing=£15
Labour remove/refit wheel adjust gears and rear brake.£=10
Total=£119"

I think from discussing this issue with others a certain amount of expertise is needed for the build to be "fit for purpose" and SJS are building a bit of a reputation for this kind of work.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
And confirming what I remarked Eddie, it was a motor hub wheel which I wouldn't expect built for the same low cost as an average bike wheel. In fact that £35 for build and spokes was very reasonable.

Andrew harvey

Pedelecer
Jun 13, 2008
Wyre Forest
www.smiths-cycles.com
Around here the price is £25.00 for the wheel build plus the cost of the spokes, the figure of £80.00 should include a nice rim.

The hardest part isn't building the wheel or even trueing the wheel, it's calculating the spoke size the old fashioned way, .ie. pre internet.