When in Milan...

halfmedley

Pedelecer
Jan 2, 2007
After having read this article (see link below) the thought occurred to me that ebikes in the UK are generally demonstrated at 'eco' fairs which inevitably only attract a certain type of customer. Perhaps the Italians are leading the way by showing them at motorcycle fairs too, appealing to a wider audience?

Bike Europe - News: Record Breaking EICMA Moto & Bici

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That's a good point. There's a very big crossover market in this country between trail motorbikes and mountain bikes, many riders using both for pleasure.

Nothing in our e-bike market to suit that particular type of customer, but could be useful nonetheless.

Leonardo

Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2006
www.jobike.it
The cross-over is true, but as Flecc says more for pleasure than for commuting or this kind of things. Milan EICMA was a “Cycle and motorcycle fair”, so there were both the worlds. Ebikes are allowed in my country only as pedelecs, so as “bicycles”. At the fair most of them were Chinese exporters looking for business in Italy and Europe (with more attention to style than usual) and quite a lot of better manufacturers were lacking (they prefer to go to Frankfurt). Flyer, Giant, Kalkhoff, Matra were not there… the only high-end brand was Sparta, trying to introduce its pedelecs in Italy for the first time. Among the domestic brands some (like the not-bad Microbike) were absent too. If you have a look at the products of the two main Italian sellers - the “Frisbee” and the Chinese-Italian “Italwin” – you’ll see that we are not exactly leading the way! There is quite a widespread interest in electric bicycles in my country, but bad knowledge and a short-viewed money saving attitude make quite difficult to develop the right culture… On the French forum cyclurba there is a report of the fair with some pictures; a list of the exibitors and a few materials can be seen on the Italian one.

Last edited:

mr-motorvator

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 30, 2007
Microbike and Family Trike in Rome!

I was visiting Rome in November when I saw this 'Microbike' chained up near the Vatican: it looked very neat and I guess is a crank-drive system, though the battery was quite heavy. I tried lifting it but the owner ran to me shouting in Italian!

I was on my nano-motor Brompton ..

and while I was riding by the Palatine I saw this lovely family trike:

It looks very well made and I guess uses a 500/750W Heinzmann motor - I don't think the 250W motor would have enough power!

Italian design does take some beating!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Looking at the screen between "driver" and passengers on that trike, could it be a taxi trike?

What do you think Tony (MrMotorvator)?

Tiberius

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 9, 2007
Somerset
Is that a motor in each wheel? That would be a neat solution to getting enough power and traction.

Nick

PS. Obviously not. The Velotaxi website says:

Velotaxis are powered by muscular strength. With start-ups and long distances the driver is supported by an electrical engine which is integrated into the front axle. The engine can be regulated by a rotary handle, and automatically switches itself off at the speed of 11 kilometers per hour. The engine, headlights, indicators, and rear lights of the "City Cruiser" are energized by two rechargeable 12 Volt batteries.

Poor chap in the front then.

Last edited: