When the bike goes up in flames...

russ18uk

Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2018

Should be aware that Louis did the shunt mod on his BBSHD and changed the MOSFETs but I have no idea how/why it went up in flames.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It will have been the battery, most likely due to a defect in one or more of the cells. These lithium battery fires were commonplace a few years back. It mainly occurs when a manufacturing defect in the electrolyte allows crystals of metallic lithium to form. These grow with jagged edges so when they pierce insulation layers in cells a short results which starts a chain reaction fire and even explosion in some cases.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
It will have been the battery, most likely due to a defect in one or more of the cells. These lithium battery fires were commonplace a few years back. It mainly occurs when a manufacturing defect in the electrolyte allows crystals of metallic lithium to form. These grow with jagged edges so when they pierce insulation layers in cells a short results which starts a chain reaction fire and even explosion in some cases.
no he has been pissing around with the controller done a 60a mod then imo tried his new 120a one and has gone pooff lol

russ18uk

Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2018
Possibly a mixture of both the battery (too high ESR relative to the draw from the motor and not enough parallelisation to spread that draw) and the controller mod but I doubt we'll really know for sure unless there was some monitoring and recording.

Louis is too cocky and I think (hope) he's learned his lesson.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
you cant pull 120a from a frame battery not that small anyway that silver box was his new controller.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

russ18uk

Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2018
Yeah I watched that. I didn't know he got another controller to do another mod but I knew he ordered a controller spare. To be honest I started watching him in 2015 but I haven't watched too much of his for over a year for various reasons.

I don't see how he wasn't happy with the stock BBSHD let alone shunt mod. Also the fire comes after his hospitalisation from an accident on the bike so I'm even more confused as to why he'd mod to 120A.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
like he would ever slow it down with cable disc brakes pmsl:rolleyes::rolleyes:

he has paid 4.5k in hospital fees and now bike is totaled so imo 6k plus and now no bike and another pot hole in the floor lol.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
he tried the motor at 90A with his cheap ass batt and it exploded in a ball of flames lol.

new trek bike on order pmsl ;)

• Informative
Reactions: flecc

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

every cell must have gone all at the same time must have been one cheap ass bms/cells as thats a fkn massive short lol.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015