When to give way..

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Perhaps, until you meet the psycho who deliberately knocks you off in anger at your notice, then steals the camera after giving you a kicking as you lie on the ground.

Such things happen and there are such people, anything that can provoke is unwise.
You mean like this?
https://dailym.ai/2IMd0nS

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

Turkeylegs

Pedelecer
Aug 21, 2017
Darlington
This van came up along side me yesterday just approaching a crossing that has been narrowed, and with busy traffic going both ways there wasn't really room for two cars and a bike so to keep myself from being squeezed into the kerb I kept going and tried to stay in front, but looking at the video at what I couldn't see at the time and seeing this van was actually wanting to turn left, I feel I was quite lucky here and perhaps I should have slowed and stopped to let this person go.. Or did the small child tell the driver I was there? I am finding this more and more with drivers overtaking so close to where they want t turn left..
I don't see any problem here? The van realised by the time it was next to you that there wasn't enough time to pass you and turn left so it waited.
That's how I see it anyway .

D

Deleted member 22539

I don't see any problem here? The van realised by the time it was next to you that there wasn't enough time to pass you and turn left so it waited.
That's how I see it anyway .
It took the van driver till then too realise ,
Isn’t that in itself a worry that it took the driver till then to figure out the issues ?

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
perhaps it would help if we started paying road tax. [emoji867][emoji867][emoji867]
Most of us, I suspect, do! Just because that tax is technically collected due to ownership of cars doesn't make me a non-payer.

(Between the two of us, we have two cars. We never have both on the road at the same time - double driveway helps! And mileage in the second one is minuscule. We must be paying a handsome effective rate per mile when driving. And my cycling reduces my driven miles, upping that cost per mile even further.)

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

Turkeylegs

Pedelecer
Aug 21, 2017
Darlington
What issues? Like had been mentioned they don't expect a cyclist to be going as fast sometimes but when it realised it waited.
It seems to me the van did the right thing.

D

Deleted member 22539

What issues? Like had been mentioned they don't expect a cyclist to be going as fast sometimes but when it realised it waited.
It seems to me the van did the right thing.
You should expect everything as a driver
If he can’t judge speed, distance and space till he is almost on top of the cyclist or any other road users for that matter he should have his bloody license taken off him

People need to start realising having a license and driving is a privilege not a right .

• Agree
Reactions: Gadfly

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
What isnt clear from the video is that this is outside a school and the road at the crossing has been narrowed by 1 mtre to calm the traffic for when hundreds of kids boil out of the school leaving just enough room for two vehicles to pass with nothing for overtaking a bike. I can't see how anyone can view this as an acceptable or even accidental driving error.

Turkeylegs

Pedelecer
Aug 21, 2017
Darlington
Ideally I'd agree, but I'm sure we have all misjudged or mistakenly done something then realised and either corrected or just plain got away with it.
Looking at it a few times it looks like the van tries to give more room when is able to the cyclist which gives me the impression it was accidental and not spiteful.