When to scrap an e-bike?

timidtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 19, 2009
Cheshire
GambiaGOES.blogspot.com
What to do with a dead e-bike? Is a complete power transplant - battery+motor+electrickery - ever economic? If not how to dispose of the remains? Perhaps freewheel it down the hill to a car park, leave the keys in, walk away and catch the bus home? Leave it out for the dust bin men? Try to flog it on Ebay? Getting the poor old thing repaired - finding some one qualified to do it seems impossible in this neck of the woods. So, what to do with a dead e-bike?

D

Deleted member 4366

Somebody gave me a very old Oxygen bike for nothing. The battery was knackered, the controller was missing, the throttle sensor was blown, the pedal sensor was blown, neither brake sensor worked and there were a few cycle parts missing. I re-celled the battery, put in a new controller and fixed the other things. Now it's a useable bike again, but to be honest, it would be a much better bike if was updated with the latest stuff. If you're happy with the bike, a new downtube battery with an integrated controller and LCD will transform it into something much better than it was before. For about £250 to £300.

Reactions: timidtom

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Leave it out for the dust bin men.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Leave it out for the dust bin men.
It's been many years since refuse collectors would pick up anything other than black refuse sacks in the areas around here. They are all private companies operated services of course.

My council is not untypical, for £10 one can have a single collection of up to eight household items of any size, otherwise there's only the refuse sacks collection each week.

timidtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 19, 2009
Cheshire
GambiaGOES.blogspot.com
Are councils happy to collect Lithium batteries?

My council is not untypical, for £10 one can have a single collection of up to eight household items of any size, otherwise there's only the refuse sacks collection each week.
.[/quote]

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
Where I live, anything made of metal, left on the pavement outside the house will be gone in hours.
I dismantled an old greenhouse and left a tangle of framework on the pavement.
It was gone in no time.

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
If you really want to dump it just leave it outside with a note saying: Free to any takers. Not working and needs attention. I've got rid of old working fridges and TVs that way. In that case I put working on the note of course otherwise they would just be for dumping.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I don't know, but I have left them at battery points in the Council's recycling depots. The earliest ones i scrapped that way in 2006/7 I clearly labelled with a warning that they were lithium high capacity to avoid their having any accidents at that time when their knowledge would have been minimal.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Scrap men regularly tour the back lanes around here.

One used to use a horse and cart, but he's now upgraded to a Transit pick-up.

As others have said, they seem content to take anything metal.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Yes, for recycling. Their terminals must be taped over, no exposed wires.
Lithium batteries are classified as WEEE like old televisions but do not contain hazardous substances.

D

Deleted member 4366

What bike is it and what's wrong with it. I might be able to fix it for you if you're not in too much of a hurry. I could probably make a small diversion next time I come back from my boat.

timidtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 19, 2009
Cheshire
GambiaGOES.blogspot.com
What bike is it and what's wrong with it. I might be able to fix it for you if you're not in too much of a hurry. I could probably make a small diversion next time I come back from my boat.
That's a very kind offer. I must admit to being a bit cheesed off with this bike! It's a 4 year-old classic Juicy Bike. I thought a new battery would cure it and when that didn't happen I tried a new charger. This didn't help either, so I started, foolishly, to take the bike apart to see if any of the wiring had broken or come adrift. I got in touch with Juicy Bikes in November but they were a bit busy (moving home, I think - maybe leaving the country to avoid me!). I tried my mechanical skills again with the same result. Despair set in. I avoided taking an axe to the troublesome beast (couldn't find one), left a message last week on JB's answer phone...
I think I'll try calling Bob Wales again next week and if that doesn't work I'll take your very kind offer. Thank again and Bon Voyage!
Tom
PS - how do I message you?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

I should be able to fix it then. I don't know when I'm next going to my boat. It depends on the weather. Maybe two or three weeks or possibly a bit more. Send your phone number and I'll give you a call nearer the time. If you don't hear from me after 4 weeks, give me a reminder.

fishingpaul

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2007
I know how you feel,at one point a couple of years ago,i had two electric bikes not working at the same time,at times i felt like taking them down the tip,but both repairs cost peanuts in the end,other than a new battery which seems to have been ruled out,repairs are usually affordable especially if dave is willing to help out.

timidtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 19, 2009
Cheshire
GambiaGOES.blogspot.com
I know how you feel,at one point a couple of years ago,i had two electric bikes not working at the same time,at times i felt like taking them down the tip,but both repairs cost peanuts in the end,other than a new battery which seems to have been ruled out,repairs are usually affordable especially if dave is willing to help out.
Thanks people! Feeling better already! I'll let you know how we get on ... (Yes, I know - stand alongside the bike , face the direction of proposed travel, hold the handlebars ... this is too complicated to envisage at this time of the morning!)

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
Thanks people! Feeling better already! I'll let you know how we get on ... (Yes, I know - stand alongside the bike , face the direction of proposed travel, hold the handlebars ... this is too complicated to envisage at this time of the morning!)
Hi Tom
Keep trying the phone at the workshop and talk to Leigh there.
I'm away for another two weeks but I will follow up. It's Sarah's and mine 26th wedding anniversary (we forgot our 25th) so we're doing something special.
I'm sure we can fix your bike. If Leigh can find time to come and fetch.

timidtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 19, 2009
Cheshire
GambiaGOES.blogspot.com
Hi Tom
Keep trying the phone at the workshop and talk to Leigh there.
I'm away for another two weeks but I will follow up. It's Sarah's and mine 26th wedding anniversary (we forgot our 25th) so we're doing something special.
I'm sure we can fix your bike. If Leigh can find time to come and fetch.
'We forgot' or 'I forgot' ??? Enjoy your special anniversary anyway! I'll talk to Leigh and make arrangements for the rejuvenation of Lucy. Thanks, Bob - and all who helped! Look - the sun's shining