Where are the electric bike kits?

PJM

Pedelecer
Mar 31, 2011
Is there some hidden problem with the cytronix or daahub electric kits causing the delay in their release to the market?

I note the Oxygen kit seems to have hit the market but it seems a lot for a basic hub motor drive.

I have had my unused donor bike sitting unused since May last year still waiting for the right kit. I have decided that I want front hub drive and the battery in the frame triangle.

I am at the point of going for one of the new hub drives and selling the donor bike.
Looking at the bofeili thread today it seems a very good option at the price, But again when I go to the dutch site the ready made bike does not seem available.

What is it with electric bikes / kits and lack of real world availability?

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
where you live a crank drive bike would be a much better choice.

Its looking pretty obvious that creating a kit that can easily fit all the different types of bikes is not as easy as it sounds........God knows what's going on.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The 2 year Cytronex delay is baffling, since the e-bikes they sell meanwhile are effectively normal bikes fitted with kits. Their position on this is just weird.

The DaaHub has appeared in a few trial versions, Eddie0 has had one and the New Zealand post office are trialling them, but Wisper say they are getting it absolutely right before full release.

It wouldn't surprise me if just getting consistent manufacture of parts like the battery mountings etc is part of the problem, since getting small scale quality production set up economically isn't easy.

vectra

Pedelecer
Feb 5, 2011
Is there some hidden problem with the cytronix or daahub electric kits causing the delay in their release to the market?

I note the Oxygen kit seems to have hit the market but it seems a lot for a basic hub motor drive.

I have had my unused donor bike sitting unused since May last year still waiting for the right kit. I have decided that I want front hub drive and the battery in the frame triangle.

I am at the point of going for one of the new hub drives and selling the donor bike.
Looking at the bofeili thread today it seems a very good option at the price, But again when I go to the dutch site the ready made bike does not seem available.

What is it with electric bikes / kits and lack of real world availability?
Hi.
Your frustration is shared by one or two people on this site......I'm one of them. I agree with your concerns. There is no excuse for releasing kits with faults. There is no excuse for marketing kits that don't exist. Maybe a few test kits exist. When in business we had an adage that you should never let a marketing man read a technical magazine. The results can be devastating to a company, what with release dates for non-existant products being planned etc.

One or two of the manufacturers/suppliers are very much aware of the challenges arising from the inability to supply advertised kit. We have already debated that challenge on here a few months ago. That said, the Oxydrive, I'm assured is in stock and can be purchased right now. Neat looking kit. It just may end up on my wifes' bike.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
I really don't get the DaaHub delay. Other then the early cutting out and 2 changes of controllers, I have had no trouble with it.. ..it has always been usable even early on, as the cutting out and instant reset was an annoyance rather then anything else. Wiper and interested people on here ask me, is this OK is that OK and I cant fault it, even the brake sensors which are taped on have not moved....

Like PJM says the Oxygen is a lot for a basic SB kit. The battery looks nice, nicer in fact then the wisper. But it is not a development, just a 3rd party battery that anyone can buy.

Last edited:
C

Cyclezee

Hi PJM,

eZee kits are available right now, tried, tested, powerful and reliable.

The downside for you that as yet, eZee don't have a battery that fits the frame triangle due to the limits of battery capacity i.e. 10Ah seems to be the max, but is 10Ah big enough?

I know eZee is considering it and would like to hear from as many people as possible before I go to the factory in 2 weeks time.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
if Ezee could sort out a proper in triangle battery (not something slung in a bag) I believe you would have a lot of interest.

C

Cyclezee

if Ezee could sort out a proper in triangle battery (not something slung in a bag) I believe you would have a lot of interest.
Hi Eddie,
eZee batteries are not simply slung in a bag, the battery can be strapped to a standard rear carrier, mounted and locked in a City type carrier or for a full suspension MTB there is a seat post carrier which also has a locking facility.

Attachments

PJM

Pedelecer
Mar 31, 2011
10ah would work for me

My journey is a very hilly 12 mile round trip. I am sure 10ah would do the job. My donor bike is a Trek 6000 rear dropouts are very shallow so it has to be a front hub solution. The Daahub would have been my preference but having waited for nearly ten months I don't wish to miss another season. As I said I am tempted to sell the Trek and go for complete bike.

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
PJM, this post may be of interest to you. Seems a great pity to sell any decent bike. Our kits are in stock and very reasonably priced.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
My journey is a very hilly 12 mile round trip. I am sure 10ah would do the job. My donor bike is a Trek 6000 rear dropouts are very shallow so it has to be a front hub solution. The Daahub would have been my preference but having waited for nearly ten months I don't wish to miss another season. As I said I am tempted to sell the Trek and go for complete bike.
I have no idea of your age, weight or what your fitness is like, have offered you a trial on my bike before as you only live about 4 miles from me. I think you need a crank drive simply because I know what its like around were you live....if you can get up the hills around were I live, the DaaHub may well be OK

fcurran

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2007
Bath
www.powabyke.com
Check out home Its a 250w kit that fits in to virtually all standard bike forks, and it's been used to convert a few trikes and folders too.

D

Deleted member 4366

That Conv-e kit is a nice idea, but that battery fixing won't last 5 minutes. The little clinch nuts in the frame aren't designed for that sort of weight and after a bit of bumping will soon dislodge. If they read this: It needs a strap around the frame - even a couple of Jubilee clips would do. Also, for that price they should use a controller with a nice LCD display. And there's no pedal sensor. Shame because it wouldn't be too difficult to add one and would make it more legal.

Edit: I missed the bit about the pedal sensor coming soon. Well done to them for not making unrealistic claims for range.

Last edited by a moderator:

Oxygen Bicycles

Trade Member
Feb 18, 2010
www.oxygenbicycles.com
Like PJM says the Oxygen is a lot for a basic SB kit. The battery looks nice, nicer in fact then the wisper. But it is not a development, just a 3rd party battery that anyone can buy.
Hi Eddie & PJM

Just to clarify, OXYDrive is not based on the 8FUN Bafang motors. The battery has been created from a generic case but we integrated the controller at its bottom which reduces the number of wiring on the kit. In fact believe me that if we had £25,000 to throw in the injection form I would spend that money.

At the end we managed to create the great looking kit with our own algorithm (which took over 10 weeks to write and tweak) and functions that other kits simply don't have.

Lastly with pricing I still think OXYDrive is faily priced. There other kits that do not have functions as our kit and with our OXYDrive. The LCD console is showing speed, av speed, odo, daily dst, WATT Meter + 5 lelevls of assistance etc and certainly stands out from the ordinary conversion kits. At least tha's my opinion

all the best

Andrew

oigoi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2011
Is the oxygen kit available to buy now Andrew? I was looking on your website couldnt make out if it could be bought or not?