Where Do You Live V2.0

davidw

Pedelecer
Jan 31, 2008
High in the Northern Pennines
member map

Is this a new complaint? I've just been moved to a wrong place on the map!
I do not live north of Carlisle but in Upper Teesdale where I placed my marker a couple of days ago. Now I have been seemingly edited 4 hours ago by another member' Is that legal? Or a mistake? Anyway I've put myself back to where I rightly belong so no harm done.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I have just logged on and have to say that it is most impressive, where did the bicycle marker come from ?
What a splendid idea, congrats
Richard
Aldby's idea, and realised by Django following a suggestion by Ian to use Google, so congratulations indeed to all three for this increasingly popular concept.

The bike icon is available from the member edit box that appears on the map when the member name is highlighted. The default icon is shown at the top right of the box, and when clicked offers a selection of icons, including lean forward and upright cyclists. It seems all in here are "racers". :)

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I do not live north of Carlisle but in Upper Teesdale where I placed my marker a couple of days ago. Now I have been seemingly edited 4 hours ago by 'aaandy gggreen' Is that legal? Or a mistake?
We don't have an aaandygggreen name listed, but it would have been Andy (aaannndddyyy), and I know he would not have done it deliberately, so just a mistake. Can you move it back ok?

Django

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2007
Aldby's idea, and realised by Django, so congratulations indeed to both for this increasingly popular concept.
For the record, I think Ian first mentioned Google Maps as a possible solution which was what triggered my investigations.

Cheers,

Django

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Thanks Django, I'm adding Ian in with a reference in "reason for edit".

Last edited:

aaannndddyyy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2007
Norwich Norfolk
I do not live north of Carlisle but in Upper Teesdale where I placed my marker a couple of days ago. Now I have been seemingly edited 4 hours ago by another member' Is that legal? Or a mistake? Anyway I've put myself back to where I rightly belong so no harm done.
Sorry about that:( , new to Google map didn’t realize you could move the markers must have dragged your marker by mistake:) .

M

mk1

AThe default icon is shown at the top right of the box, and when clicked offers a selection of icons, including lean forward and upright cyclists. It seems all in here are "racers". :)
Isn't the other one a Motorcycle?, I suppose this could be more appropriate in some cases:)

Martin

C

Cyclezee

For the record, I think Ian first mentioned Google Maps as a possible solution which was what triggered my investigations.

Cheers,

Django
Not wishing claim credit or actually do any work:p Adding postcodes to locations was my idea and I suggested we should do it on Google Earth, Django took the initiative and worked out a way of doing the job with Google Maps and deserves all the credit for that;)
Me, I just sow seeds and let others do all the hard work:rolleyes:
Thanks to Russ for taking on the idea and placing a permanent 'sticky'.
Well done to everybody who has taken to the idea:)

John

Last edited by a moderator:

Django

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2007
Not wishing claim credit or actually do any work:p Adding postcodes to locations was my idea and I suggested we should do it on Google Earth . . . .

John
True, John, how true, I missed your previous post, for which apologies. But hey, thanks to Ian for repeating it!!

This giving credit where it is due is harder than it looks. :)

Cheers,

Struan

Ian

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2007
Leicester LE4, UK.
A brilliant response from everyone. When John suggested this idea I was personally enthusiastic but doubted they'd be a big enough take up to make it worthwhile. Happily I was wrong and the map of the UK is covered in green bicycles, with a few well beyond our shores as well.

While it's early days and we don't really have a decent sized sample to work with the distribution does seem to showing a slight trend towards major population centres, but so far the London area isn't showing significantly more green bikes then anywhere else which is a slight surprise.

Thanks to John for the suggestion, Django for making it happen, and everyone who has added their details.

Last edited:
C

Cyclezee

Certainly is!

Sorry John, take another bow. :)
You won't be thanking me Fleccie, when I tell you that every CCTV camera in your loaction is on the look out for a sprightly gentlemen wearing white racing overalls and a white fullface helmet with darkened visor riding a strange bicycle:D HaHa Gotcha;)

John

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Thats not me, I wear all black!

Anyway, all the attention is elsewhere here at the moment, with a neighbouring section of properties taped off and forensic guys in white paper suits everywhere and loads of police cars, vans etc.

Don't think anyone's going to be looking at my e-bikes at the moment.

No, I don't know what's happened there. It's half term though! :D

richard

Pedelecer
Apr 28, 2007
berkshire RG8 UK
Well done John for the idea and Django for the development.
After a glut of negative postings it is so refreshing to see members embracing a positive step forward in the forum.
Richard

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
how come you oldies are so IT literate??? can you move me nearer to Swiss Cottage tube?- I'm no more a snob than anyone else but feel odd in Kilburn!
Done Simon. You're now just to the west of Swiss Cottage tube station and cycling towards it.

Done on my own Speedos Express operating system! Bet that's a bit more IT literate than you expected. :D