Where Do You Live V2.0

C

Cyclezee

If you would like to make your approximate location known to other members click on the Google Maps link below, then follow the instructions to the left of the map.
It is free, takes a few seconds and will not reveal your full address or precise location to others.

Wouldn't it be interesting to know where Pedelec members live throughout the country, indeed the planet?
I appreciate many wish to remain annonymous and keep their precise whereabouts confidential.
Most have chosen not to reveal the town or area where they live, but I for one am curious if there is an another e-biker in my neighbourhood, so I have simply added the 1st part of my post code to my location details which will give people a rough idea where I live.
I have done this in the hope that others might follow suit.
Who knows, you might even want to meet each other if you live close enough.

J:) hn

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: chris_comber

Ian

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2007
Leicester LE4, UK.
John, I agree it's a good idea to encourage members to show their location, I'll follow your example and add the first part of my postcode.

Knowing someone's approximate location is useful when giving advice, and avoids the situations that have on occasions occurred where irrelevant advice has been given because a member is in another country.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
We did have a thread on this a very long ago, but I can't remember it's title. A pity, since quite a few responded to that.

Me? Right on the South London / Surrey border below Croydon.

Django

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2007
We did have a thread on this a very long ago, but I can't remember it's title. A pity, since quite a few responded to that.

Me? Right on the South London / Surrey border below Croydon.
Hi Flecc,

Was it this thread?

Cheers,

Django

Ian

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2007
Leicester LE4, UK.
The best thing for anyone who doesn't object is rather than stating here to add their location to their user profile.

Of course we should respect the privacy of members so no-one is under any pressure to show their location or any other personal data.

C

Cyclezee

That's great guys, just the 1st part of your postcode as it only gives a rough idea and can hardly be regarded as an intrusion of privacy.
Maybe the next stage could be to use something like Google Earth to put a place mark on the map so we can see how close or remote we are from one another. That won't give your address or street away, but could it be step too far for some? Discuss

John

Ian

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2007
Leicester LE4, UK.
That's great guys, just the 1st part of your postcode as it only gives a rough idea and can hardly be regarded as an intrusion of privacy.
Maybe the next stage could be to use something like Google Earth to put a place mark on the map so we can see how close or remote we are from one another. That won't give your address or street away, but could it be step too far for some? Discuss

John
Not a bad idea, I'd be happy to participate. I think it would need more than a few of us to make it worth while though.

Does anyone know if it's possible to share Google maps in such a way that all placemarks are visible to all users?

C

Cyclezee

Many people have the area & their postcode in the join date/location part of the email.
How is it done?

Derrick - Llanberis
Hi Derrick,
just click on userCP on the green toolbar near the top of this page and then click on edit profile and scroll down to additional information.
Fill in as little or as much as you want. Hope that is helpful

John

Ian

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2007
Leicester LE4, UK.
Many people have the area & their postcode in the join date/location part of the email.
How is it done?

Derrick - Llanberis
From the "Quick Links" menu (In the green bar above) select "Edit Profile". Location information can then be entered in the Additional Information section at the bottom.

Footie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 16, 2007
Cornwall. PL27
I have added my location and part of my Post Code - but I expect many already know I log-in from sunny Cornwall.

I've also added my home web page to my profile.
But don't all visit it at once, otherwise it shuts down if too many visitors visit.
If it's not viewable, try again in an hour as the site as a limit of 4mb/hr - price one pays of having a free Geocities site.

Last edited:

MaryinScotland

Pedelecer
Dec 14, 2006
Dumfries, SW Scotland
For this and other forums, I have a username which shows my location.

Trouble is, in a few years when I retire, I plan to move home to Scotland. Might have to spend time editing all my usernames to MaryinDumfries...

Mary

Django

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2007
Or, 'marywhountilrecentlywasinoxfordbuthasnowretiredtoscotland' :D

Django

C

Cyclezee

Not a bad idea, I'd be happy to participate. I think it would need more than a few of us to make it worth while though.

Does anyone know if it's possible to share Google maps in such a way that all placemarks are visible to all users?
That would be good Ian, but I don't know how to do it. Another option might be to use Microsoft Virtual Earth, but again, we need the services of an IT 'geek' to advise on that one.
If it is possible, then maybe it could be updated by individual members at anytime so everybody could view the map on the forum.
IT help needed!

John

C

Cyclezee

To all of you who have already added the 1st part of your postcode to your location and those who are still thinking about doing it, please add a placemark here Google Maps
I have asked if Russ if there could be a permanent link on the forum to the map.

John

Django

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2007
And, of course, it is not limited to the UK. You can add a mark wherever you are in the world.

Cheers,

Django