Where to buy BBS02 Controller

tezdread

Pedelecer
Oct 31, 2014
Hi,

Anyone know where I can get a new controller for my BBS02 36v 500w kit as I think I've fried mine :(

Thanks

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Hi,

Anyone know where I can get a new controller for my BBS02 36v 500w kit as I think I've fried mine :(

Thanks
What symptoms you got?

Sometimes the brake cut-offs can cause issues, so disconnect them and see if that cures the problem.

tezdread

Pedelecer
Oct 31, 2014
Thanks, tried disconnecting the sensor.

I've got hydraulic brakes and atm just one sensor on the back...It's not very good in the sense that the space between the magnet and sensor is not easy to get right. I basically lock the back wheel in order for the magnet to be far enough away from the sensor to cutout the motor. I think this is why it is the controller.

I was going up a steep hill and had to brake suddenly and that caused the motor to stop without being cutoff. There's no power when I throttle or pedal.

I've checked the battery and that works, I've also tried my spare battery and nothing.

Power to the LCD and display if normal.

I've remove the motor from the bike, opened up the controller part to check the connections and the all look fine, no damage and they're all plugged in together.

What else can I do?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
BBS is quite simple to diagnose, disconnect the throttle and brake at the connector and try the pas if it doesn't work then sounds like a new controller needed. if pas works try the throttle then the brake also double check the brake magnet alignment.
BMSB, GBK (Greenbikeking) or Em3ev all in Asia. Bmsb delivery is excellent, once comfirmation of despatch is received by email arrives in 4 days. While at it get a programming cable if they got one or get a 1mtr from Insat for £18.50. Some of the stock controller settings are not condusive for controller longevity, for instance my recent new controller was set for 100% start up current from the get go which puts to much strain on the entire system.

tezdread

Pedelecer
Oct 31, 2014
Nice one, putting things back together now so will try that next.

Is there anyone in the uk where I could get one...kindda urgent :)

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Last edited:

tezdread

Pedelecer
Oct 31, 2014
Yeah I would seem that the controller is done. Tried what you suggested and no power at all...absolutely nothing :( only 3 months old.

What is BMSB?

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Yeah I would seem that the controller is done. Tried what you suggested and no power at all...absolutely nothing :( only 3 months old.

What is BMSB?
Should be covered under warranty. Try contacting the vendor you bought it from.

• Agree
Reactions: Nealh

tezdread

Pedelecer
Oct 31, 2014
Thanks for the help...ordered on a slightly express delivery and just shy of £90.

I'll post back when I get it on.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Should be covered under warranty. Try contacting the vendor you bought it from.
Totally agree, at only 3 months old I would have gone back to the vendor first esp if it was U.K. sourced unit.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Thanks for the help...ordered on a slightly express delivery and just shy of £90.

I'll post back when I get it on.
Seriously consider a reprogramming cable, you don't have to change anything but it may help to look at the controller settings to see how they may affect future use.
2 or 3 setting changes can reduce strain and stress from standstill or steep hill climbing by allowing a softer /lower start current including throttle settings which can and will deliver max amps and strain if you are not careful.
Where do you ilve may be a member could help you out by plugging in and looking at your settings ?

D

Deleted member 4366

Befor ordering a new controller, you should yake your present one off and check the motor connectors. One of mine was so loose that it wouldn't stay together. It took about 10 seconds to fix with a pair of pliers. My hall connector was also dodgy, so I cut off all the silicone that's supposed to hold it together, but was actually holding it apart.

• Informative
Reactions: trex

tezdread

Pedelecer
Oct 31, 2014
Thanks, i will get a prog cable for it.
Didn't think about contacting vendor, to concerned with getting it back on the road asap. Will do so but it was bought on eBay so not sure about cover or if I have to send whole thing back but will check.
All the connections were together and siliconed

tezdread

Pedelecer
Oct 31, 2014
Ok so ordered the prog cable, will need some help with that later.

Contacted the seller who has replied asking for more info on the problem so waiting for a reply to that now.

One thing I didn't mention, not sure if it's relevant but out of the box this unit was spinning the wheel at 40 mph without any load. I have reached 36 mph while riding. When I first setup the kit I was surprised that it was this fast but was happy that it was so didn't think to much about it. I did install a separate bike computer to compare speed and distance and they were almost the same so I know the readout was correct.

I have since seen people mentioning hacking the BBS02 unit to get it to go 40 mph so is it possible that the controller I had working was setup in this way? As far as I'm aware the eBay seller just sells the units as they get them.

Thanks

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Ok so ordered the prog cable, will need some help with that later.

Contacted the seller who has replied asking for more info on the problem so waiting for a reply to that now.

One thing I didn't mention, not sure if it's relevant but out of the box this unit was spinning the wheel at 40 mph without any load. I have reached 36 mph while riding. When I first setup the kit I was surprised that it was this fast but was happy that it was so didn't think to much about it. I did install a separate bike computer to compare speed and distance and they were almost the same so I know the readout was correct.

I have since seen people mentioning hacking the BBS02 unit to get it to go 40 mph so is it possible that the controller I had working was setup in this way? As far as I'm aware the eBay seller just sells the units as they get them.

Thanks
The only way you will know how it's programmed is to use the cable.

30mph+ is definitely achievable, if you are running an original 48T chainring and certain parameters are set fairly high.

I can just reach 30mph on my 48v 750w, with parameters higher than factory, but I'm only running a 42T chainring with 11T cog.

Changing parameters and chainring to run at 40mph is a surefire way to kill a BBS02.
The BBSHD is more suited for the purpose.

• Agree
Reactions: Kinninvie

tezdread

Pedelecer
Oct 31, 2014
It wasn't my intention to run it any faster than was good for the unit as I'm not so concerned about speed, 20-25 is all I need. Realising it could go that fast did spur me to get it that fast while riding though.
So now I'm wondering if it could have damaged the motor (coil)?
I'll fit the new controller and go from there with the prog cable.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
40mph no load speed is probably not uncommon for the 500/750w bbs however I expect the load speed will be nearer 32 mph, without connecting the bbs up to a computer there is no way of telling how it set up. You can achieve more speed by checking to see the settings in the Basic tab ' Limit speed %' in Pedal assist ' Designated assist', also with the lcd you can set to 50kmh.

Essential reading for bbs carefully read the whole guide and bookmark it for future reference, its is very good and explains a lot about how the settings can affect the bbs. You can make better use of the bbs, most settings once you understand them more are there to reduce strain and stress on the system during start up without compromising performance.
https://electricbike-blog.com/2015/06/26/a-hackers-guide-to-programming-the-bbs02

And a thread from last year I resurrected to add my recent experience with understanding the programming and connection process. Input from forumites was most welcome and very helpful, so hopefully will help you too and others.
http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/bbs01-programming-that-doesnt-fry-the-controller.22652/page-2#post-321976

• Useful
Reactions: tezdread

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
It wasn't my intention to run it any faster than was good for the unit as I'm not so concerned about speed, 20-25 is all I need. Realising it could go that fast did spur me to get it that fast while riding though.
So now I'm wondering if it could have damaged the motor (coil)?
I'll fit the new controller and go from there with the prog cable.
If at any time you have laboured the motor in the wrong gear and at a high throttle or PAS level, then yes that can blow the controller.

The motor and controller are happy when spinning fast. One full throttle start from standstill in top gear can be all it takes to kill the controller.

I'm not trying to sound all doom and gloom, but these units are reliable if the bike is ridden correctly.

• Agree
Reactions: tezdread

tezdread

Pedelecer
Oct 31, 2014
Finally got the new controller, took 2 days to get from Hong Kong to Birmingham then 7 (working) days to get it in my hand...boy what a struggle that was. Also I had a surprise VAT added by UK customs of £19. :(

Connected and working fine :)

I'm using the 42 t bling ring. The new unit goes to 40.3 MPH with no load, full PA and top gear. Same as before.

I've got the prog cable and read the programming info but need to read it again and do it when I've got more time.

Thanks all.