Where to try Cube Reaction Hybrid Pro 29er?

JamesW

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 17, 2014
Having spent the last few days looking at what I want from a bike to replace the one that snapped, and found this pannier rack
http://www.cyclesurgery.com/pws/Uni...gclid=CNb19JqyycYCFe7KtAodZ3oHLw&gclsrc=aw.ds
to allow me to use my panniers on an MTB, I am increasingly being drawn to the Cube Reaction Hybrid Pro 29er (2015) - but I can't seem to find anywhere local that might have one in stock to try.

Any ideas anyone?

I'm liking:
- the large frame available for the good price - I need a 21" frame
- the 29er wheels - allows me to use my winter studded tyres I already have and finish off wearing out my marathons if I so choose. (Also allows me to have 'hot swappable' wheel sets - which I already have for the broken bike)
- the suspension
- the forward mounting of the battery
- the fact it looks like a bike and not a piece of modern art (Haibike!)
- the black finish
- the disc brakes
- the price
- the price
- the overall spec
- the price (relative to the KTM and Haibike equavailents)
- the ability to put whatever lights I want on easily - but I would have prefered it if I could run the lights from the Bosch battery :(

Forgot to say - I live near Royston. My local Cube dealer would be Hitchin - where I work, but they don't list Cube on their website which is not promising.
So Cambridge, Stevenage, North London - if there's a good hill are all good.

mfj197

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2014
Guildford
Your rack link is to Cycle Surgery - they are actually Cube dealers themselves. I bought my SL Road Pro from their store in Addlestone and they had one Bosch ebike there. They aren't however ebike dealers. However you could give them a call? Failing that try the UK Cube importers - Cube Bikes UK Ltd in Stockwood on info@cube-bikes.co.uk .

Michael

Reactions: JamesW

JamesW

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 17, 2014
Thanks Tony, that's probably a bit far for me and I'm not planning on being in that part of the country this year (I think).
Thanks Gringo. I might have to look into a trip to Daventry if I'm going anywhere near in the future. - But I seem to remember reading somewhere that you had some problems with that particular dealer?

(and I do need to replace my bike soon as I am currently commuting on my old folder which is very creaky now!)

crankyhorse

Pedelecer
May 24, 2013
Where are you?

I pick my Cube 29er up from leisure lakes on Wednesday and if you are near you can have a go.

JamesW

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 17, 2014
Where are you?

I pick my Cube 29er up from leisure lakes on Wednesday and if you are near you can have a go.
Royston - nr Cambridge / Stevenage

Thanks for the offer:) - knowing my luck you're going N/S/W with it, not East though!:(

JamesW

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 17, 2014
Northampton is closer than Daventry and by far the closest Cube I've found so far! Cube ebike dealers seem to be like platypuses - mysterious, difficult to find and a long way from anywhere convenient!

Might see if I can get over to Northampton in a few weeks if that's OK - probably on a Saturday.

crankyhorse

Pedelecer
May 24, 2013
Northampton is closer than Daventry and by far the closest Cube I've found so far! Cube ebike dealers seem to be like platypuses - mysterious, difficult to find and a long way from anywhere convenient!

Might see if I can get over to Northampton in a few weeks if that's OK - probably on a Saturday.
Sure I'm working every saturday at the moment but only until 12PM and where I work is right on the A45 so it would make sense to meet there and you can have a go on the cycle paths and off road in the nearby park.

PM me to arrange closer the time.

PhilYerBoots

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2011
Wallasey, Wirral.
Ive had my head turned by this bike, mostly as you've stated already a couple of times, down to price/spec.
Likewise though ive been finding it difficult to locate a local dealer with a demo bike (Wallasey, Merseyside) so may have to go to Leisurelakes in Bury to have a go on one (40ish miles).
There is a Cube dealer nearer to me in Wrexham that has a 21" one boxed up but was only prepared to build it for a demo if I paid them a non-refundable deposit of an hours labour (£50) if I didnt buy it after..bloody expensive test ride..! Id rather travel a bit further to Bury as I didnt like his attitude and he wont be getting any business from me..
Good luck trying one and Id be interested in your findings once you have..

crankyhorse

Pedelecer
May 24, 2013
This is an odd forum. It's like being invisible sometimes.

Philipyerboots, I'm sure Jamesw can let you know how he gets on trying a Cube hybrid 29er a couple of weeks after I get mine Home and he has a go on it.

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
Reactions: Cyclezee

JamesW

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 17, 2014
Sorry cranky, I didn't respond as it seemed slightly pointless to respond to say I'd PM you in a few weeks!
I'll post a nice review for phil as soon as I get to see your bike - or sooner if I manage to find one closer beforehand!

Didn't respond yesterday as was actually trying not to be distracted by the bike thing at work and get some work done, and Thursday night I was waiting for the dishwasher repair man to arrive - whereupon he diagnosed we'd had a fire in the machine last Saturday and were lucky to still have a kitchen! - Honestly ebike and dishwasher destroyed within 4 days of each other! I just thank the Lord that both failures were harmless to us although they were major to the machines.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union

PhilYerBoots

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2011
Wallasey, Wirral.
This is an odd forum. It's like being invisible sometimes.

Philipyerboots, I'm sure Jamesw can let you know how he gets on trying a Cube hybrid 29er a couple of weeks after I get mine Home and he has a go on it.
Sorry Cranky..just re-read my post but I meant good luck to James when he tries your bike rather than in finding one, bad wording on my part..
Enjoy yours when it arrives next week too..
I made the trip to Bury Leisurelakes today to look at one in the 'flesh' and have a go on one myself. It turns out the one they had on display wasn't a demo bike and I was only allowed a spin round the car park once they'd fitted some pedals..not ideal !
So not a proper test but enough to tell its a quality bike and the right size for me - 19". Power delivery from the performance motor is noticably stronger than the active line KTM I've tried, and although I couldnt try it on any hills I'm sure it would have taken them in its stride.
Anyway look forward to hearing what you think James as I sure Cranky will let you have a longer ride than I got..

JamesW

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 17, 2014
Well I tried a Scott e-aspect 920 around Thetford forest today on a trip out with our Church. The motor performance was amazing and the only major difference that I can see between that and the cube (apart from the price point) is the type of front suspension (full air with remote lockout vs the springs in the cube) given that the cube comes with n integrated kickstand and mounting points for a pannier rack I am seriously wondering if I even need to try the cube before buying it - I suppose the worst that can happen is that I need to return it under the distance selling act.

(I'd love the Scott but I cant afford it and I can't justify air suspension right now, maybe in a few years time I might upgrade the forks so the cube is like the Scott.)

Would I be stupid to buy before I try the exact bike?
The Scott and the Cube are very similar weights, designs and have the same motor.

(I've tried the Bosch active line system in the Raleigh moths and wasn't impressed, but the performance line - it was liked being strapped to a different beast. There are many occasions today when I had too much power for the MTB route.)​