Where to try Cube Reaction Hybrid Pro 29er?

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
I wouldn’t say it was stupid to buy it without trying it but it would be preferable to try it. If you just wanted to know what a performance line Bosch motored e bike was like on a proper ride you now do. Cube are good bikes and I have a none powered one which is well made and specced.

Regarding your point about returning it under distance selling regs if you don’t like it. I should look at the small print. Almost no company selling anything will allow you to use an item you bought and then return it effectively second hand. Unless it’s faulty. It would have to be sent back in the same condition it was sent in.

mfj197

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2014
Guildford
Well I tried a Scott e-aspect 920 around Thetford forest today on a trip out with our Church. The motor performance was amazing and the only major difference that I can see between that and the cube (apart from the price point) is the type of front suspension (full air with remote lockout vs the springs in the cube) given that the cube comes with n integrated kickstand and mounting points for a pannier rack I am seriously wondering if I even need to try the cube before buying it - I suppose the worst that can happen is that I need to return it under the distance selling act.

(I'd love the Scott but I cant afford it and I can't justify air suspension right now, maybe in a few years time I might upgrade the forks so the cube is like the Scott.)

Would I be stupid to buy before I try the exact bike?
The Scott and the Cube are very similar weights, designs and have the same motor.

(I've tried the Bosch active line system in the Raleigh moths and wasn't impressed, but the performance line - it was liked being strapped to a different beast. There are many occasions today when I had too much power for the MTB route.)​
One thing to look at carefully before contemplating this route is the frame geometry, specifically the stack and reach measurements. If they are similar then the riding position will be as well. Or for even more peace of mind see if you can find a non-electric Cube with the same measurements - their hybrids are normally based on one of their other models I think.

Michael

Reactions: JamesW

PhilYerBoots

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2011
Wallasey, Wirral.
I like the look of the Scott's too but they appear overpriced alongside the Cubes and KTMs.
I agree it wouldn't be stupid to buy without trying but is a bit of a gamble as like John mentions I dont think distance selling regs are intended to cover you for extended testing. There's no substitute for actually sitting on a bike and riding it regardless of how much you analyse the specs and comments of others.
I've managed to confuse myself now as I also tried an Oxygen emate MTB yesterday, having read good things about them on here. What a nice bike to ride ! I'd convinced myself bosch was the way to go but this bike surprised me with its quality and strong motor. Power delivery is totally different from the bosch's torque sensor style, more raw and obvious, but you'd get used to it once you pick the right pas levels for the terrain.
I thinks its between the Cube and Oxygen for me now..with the £500+ price difference swaying me towards the Oxygen..

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I like the look of the Scott's too but they appear overpriced alongside the Cubes and KTMs.
I agree it wouldn't be stupid to buy without trying but is a bit of a gamble as like John mentions I dont think distance selling regs are intended to cover you for extended testing. There's no substitute for actually sitting on a bike and riding it regardless of how much you analyse the specs and comments of others.
I've managed to confuse myself now as I also tried an Oxygen emate MTB yesterday, having read good things about them on here. What a nice bike to ride ! I'd convinced myself bosch was the way to go but this bike surprised me with its quality and strong motor. Power delivery is totally different from the bosch's torque sensor style, more raw and obvious, but you'd get used to it once you pick the right pas levels for the terrain.
I thinks its between the Cube and Oxygen for me now..with the £500+ price difference swaying me towards the Oxygen..
I don't know what they are charging for the Oxygen this week, but this Ghost is similar spec to the Cube for a very reasonable £1,450.

http://www.mhw-bike.com/ghost-teru-4-white-cyan-green-black-2015-2812

PhilYerBoots

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2011
Wallasey, Wirral.
That is a good match for the Cube spec-wise Rob..and a cracking price.
I started a thread recently about ordering a bike from MHW in Germany but listening to the advice given I decided against it in the end, preferring the safety and service of a UK dealer.
I've decided to go for the Oxygen as at £1200 its a lot of bike for the money.
Good luck (as it sounds like you're due for some..) and enjoy whichever bike you decide to go for James.

JamesW

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 17, 2014
Thanks Phil and Michael,

Phil,
I can thoroughly recommend getting yourself a suntour ncx seat post from bik discount .de for around 45 (delivered) whatever bike you choose. The geometry on the Scott is different enough that I think I'm going to need to sit on a cube/similar shape bike first. I have just seen rock shox Reba suspension on bike discount .de at 50% off Rrp which I think is probably a steal! But as I'm not going to able to afford it...:oops:

Last edited:

PhilYerBoots

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2011
Wallasey, Wirral.
Thanks for the tip on the seat post James.
I'd read before they're good but went for a cheaper Post Moderne Cushy for my current bike so will probably just swap that over. Mind you with the saving over the Cube I might be tempted if its that good..but meantime I'm looking at commuting essentials like mudguards, rack and a kickstand first.
Nice fork and tempting with that discount..enjoy whatever you buy in the end.

JamesW

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 17, 2014
Went into a LBS this morning to try the geometry and decided to bite the bullet. It seems the Cube is selling out fast - I now have one on order (stock has been selling out over the weekend). The reason for the high Cube sales is that apparently there are no other bikes with the Bosch performance motor for that price this year. (I don't know if that means the haibike, KTM and others drop 2016 prices or Cube raise theirs - I suspect the latter.)

Thanks for all the offers of test rides.

PhilYerBoots

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2011
Wallasey, Wirral.
Nice one James.
I'm sure you'll be pleased with the bike, and like you say its hard to find a performance line Bosch in the UK for under £2k (apart from the KTM cross 10 +)
Enjoy..!

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Went into a LBS this morning to try the geometry and decided to bite the bullet. It seems the Cube is selling out fast - I now have one on order (stock has been selling out over the weekend). The reason for the high Cube sales is that apparently there are no other bikes with the Bosch performance motor for that price this year. (I don't know if that means the haibike, KTM and others drop 2016 prices or Cube raise theirs - I suspect the latter.)

Nice bike, you won't go wrong with that.

I take it the shop knows your bike is in stock at the wholesaler.

Some shops take orders which can take months to fill.

Now you've decided, you want the bike fairly quickly to take advantage of the better weather and longer days.

JamesW

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 17, 2014
Bought from Damian Harris in Cardiff - I think Tweeks might have the last unsold 21" bike of this type in the country at the moment, but after Phil's comments there's no way I'm getting that one - not liking their customer service already, so I'm waiting for the guys at Damian Harris to order one from Cube and get it delivered - hopefully on Wednesday to them and Thursday to me, but not very hopeful as any further Chunnel strike action could block it.

crankyhorse

Pedelecer
May 24, 2013

I picked mine up today and it had a scratch on the frame. They said the model is sold out but gave me £40 off so no worries.

Check the battery fits on ok. Mine is not easy to get back on. Other than that it's a super bike and climbs very well. See my post about the battery.

crankyhorse

Pedelecer
May 24, 2013
Still waiting for mine:(
hoping it might arrive Friday if I'm lucky
You will not regret it.

I had to take the front wheel off to get it in my car and was shocked at how light it was. Your getting good quality components and I'm not surprised it's selling out.

I bumped into a chap who was bringing his cube Ebike in for a service today and he was a very happy chap. I would have talked to him more but the staff were all over the place because it was so busy and I was being pulled from pillar to post.