Which are you?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
After years of cycles and or motorbikes most people develop a sixth sense, mine is more important than any jacket.

Whilst I can never afford to be complacent and anyone become a statistic, it is this sense that helps me most.
Perfectly put.

Ultimately the best safety is experience and intelligence combined into action.

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset
With motorcyclists...... they say there are old riders, bold riders, but no old bold riders.
This could easily apply to cyclists as well.

John F

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 3, 2013
The main problem as I see it (no pun intended!) ,is that road users do not go through a hierarchy of use, back in the days folk hardly had the money or use of motorised vehicles, so you progressed from cycle ,motor cycle , and so on , you may have appreciated the vulnerabilities of other road users ,so took more care, .

Now, a 17 yr old can pass their driving test, go out and get a high powered car then hoon around the streets, as long as they can afford it, and many do!

The natural law of survival has been compromised.

also play stations do not help, they sanitize the dangers of reckless driving.
Exactly - how many youngsters these days have grown up using 2 wheelers of any type, particularly in winter? The car drivers that slow down to a sensible speed in icy conditions are those who have ridden motor bikes in winter and have a healthy respect for what might happen - ie skid and fall off. Drivers that don't, seem to think their tyres have magical properties that render them impervious to ice!

No1foxy

Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2013
South Leicestershire
This is true, when they say 'sorry I didn't see you' it often means 'sorry I didn't look'
I agree totally with what you say, but I make sure that I am very visible, high vis, good 200 lum front lights, same at the rear 2 flashing + the built in lights. I do this as my commute in the winter is down very fast unlit A roads and B roads. I have not even had a close call as cars and lorries can see me for miles, I also ride a cycle the way I rode bikes, treat every car, HGV or coach driver as a blind idiot. On the other hand some cyclists do ask for trouble, I drove HGV's for 20 years and the amount of cyclists that would take a chance and sneak up the left hand side at lights, even if I was indicating was frightening. I feel we all need to take responsibility for our own actions, I hear cyclists slag off drivers and drivers slag off cyclists, why? we all need to share the roads. The old chestnut we don't pay road tax does not cut the mustard any more as there are a growing number of low emission cars on the road that pay 0 road tax.

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
My 10 pence worth
I cycle for pleasure only these days, weather permitting I'll try to get 2 or more 20mile rides in a week in my hi-vis.
There's one chap I see regularly (or not lol) going the other way on country roads with overhanging trees, he chooses to ride a mat black racer with black Lycra and yes you've guest it a black hat. Now even in strong sunlight, when he's under the trees you can't tell him from the shadows. I've even seen him shaking his fist at a car driver who obviously only just saw him and at the last minuet swerved just missing him.

There's another chap that chooses dark clothing, no lights and commutes to work along some fast unlit urban roads, ignoring the cycle paths next to the road. I've just missed him twice this month at 5.30am now I'm extra carful in that area.
On the same road I see mr hi-vis reflective well in advance on the cycle path.

Darwin called it natural selection, only the strong (sensible) survive.
Who out of the above riders will get squashed and who's fault will it be.
I'm not normally vindictive but if you don't even try to be seen, you won't just be cool you'll be cold (stone cold)

Last edited:

MikeyBikey

Pedelecer
Mar 5, 2013
Old saying "none so blind as those who will not see" comes to mind.
Interesting idea about the unusual, psychologically attracting attention, e.g.
Eyes: Helmet with 2x white led's front & 2x red led's rear, flash or just 'blink';-) with flashing yellow leds to sides, and
Wasp: insect pattern hi-viz jerkin with yellow flouro & black retroreflective.
Some say movement works best, *separated* flashing leds and retroreflec on ankles, cranks, etc. Maybe even a flapping 'piece of toilet roll' reflective flag will work :-D

ghouluk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 11, 2013
In the last few days, i've seen a few threads on here where people are suggesting legislation of cycling - again fundamentally to legislate en masse like that, you'd need a way of identifying people, then you'd need registration, licenses, COT's, etc etc - meaning even less cyclists on the road, and even less notice taken of us no matter what we are wearing. To be honest, most cagers don't look, because if they get into an accident it isn't going to hurt them, they feel safe in their bubble and that makes them careless. They also often aren't concentrating, because sitting in the bubble, the nice man on radio 4 is much more interesting than whats happening around us.

It's different on a motorcycle or bike, we are responsible for our own safety - I admit it, I wear mostly black. It has reflective flashes, and if i cycle at night (rare) i use several lights, and apparently make quite a sight as the reflective flashes flit by. I also wear red gloves. I don't ride much in traffic or on busy roads, i do wear hi viz backed gloves, I also command large road presence, partly by being a large person (too large) and partly because of aggressive road positioning.

I accept 100% that this doesn't work on bicycles in traffic, and while i do ride the motorbike into central london, i don't ride my bike.

It's an interesting point though, i've never chosen cycling clothing because of colour or reflection, mainly buying technical clothing, end of line, so better on price, thats in my size, which so far happens to be mostly black or dark blue (certainly in winter tights and jackets) now i have the ebike and seem to be riding into the winter, it might be time for a bit more hi-viz.

For reference my motorbike gear is also black with reflective stripes and flashes. For cycles I buy what fits, is comfortable, performs well and is cheap. For the motorbike i buy whatever has the most armour and resistance.

These days i ride everything defensively (fnar!), I used to be bold, now i'm old ;)

NZgeek

Pedelecer
Jun 11, 2013
Whangarei, Northland, New Zealand
I once nearly hit a runner, running on the inside of a sharp corner on a winding, bushclad, country road (60 mph zone), wearing all black with a single vertical reflective stripe... Looked EXACTLY like the road and the inner paint line to me. ONLY reason I saw her, was because she jumped into the drain :D

I have a hi-vis jacket with reflective stripes, a flashing red taillight and dual led front lights (not flashing). I have the marathon tyres with reflective walls too, and I wear cool-arms to keep the sun off - they're white.

I'm bigger than everyone else too :p

D

Deleted member 4366

I sometimes wear my hi-vis jacket in the day-time, and it's like an invisibility cloak. They try and get me from every direction. It's a different situation at night-time though. It lights so bright that nobody comes near me. Maybe they think a UFO has landed.

MikeyBikey

Pedelecer
Mar 5, 2013
Good call, need visibility aids that work in warm weather too, separate from clothing that changes with season, then don't have to spend extra on multiples. During our heatwave, remember that, it was hot to wear even helmet and jerkin. Oh, and need stuff that fits ALL sizes too, ;-).
I get fed up of helmet & hat & gloves & jerkin & anklets, lot (6 items) to stash when going in shop for a paper :-D