Which battery for Alien kit?

cogs

Pedelecer
Sep 3, 2008
I've posted this on 'frequently asked questions', which may not have been the best place for a general question. I hope it is OK to put it here instead?

My Alien (a kit) is about 16 months old (36v 10ah lith ion 250w Suzibafang? motor).

The battery has started to cut out when under high demand conditions, so I assume its a bit tired and needs replacing.

I've contacted Alien, who are still offering replacement lith batteries (at a price!).

They also advertise new generation LiFe P04 on some bikes - but, frustratingly, they don't seem that willing to make the LiFe P04 available as replacement 'upgrade' batteries to existing customers. Presumably they want to dispose of the old stock first.

My question is, should I send for a LiFe P04 from Ping? Will it fit without too much trouble, and will other parts be necessary to achieve the 'upgrade', and a final question, will a LiFe P04 represent a proper upgrade in terms of its life expectancy and range of travel if I acquire a 15ah spec?

I hope someone can help.

cogs

Pedelecer
Sep 3, 2008
I've given one answer on your first thread entry of this question in FAQs Cogs.

Here's the link to it
Sorry Flecc, my mistake.

The Alien lith replacement battery is I think in the region of £270 - which I suppose isn't too bad (although I've seen something similar on ePay at about £190), and you are right, the convenience of a straight swap without any messing about has its advantages.

I hadn't realised that the LiFe Po4 were as expensive as you indicate.

Just to be clear, I'm not complaining about Alien - far from it - their kit has been reliable for me, and its used very regularly. Also, I expected the battery to start declining after about a year, and it has.

I've just checked on the Alien site though, and it seems they may not be able to supply a replacement lith at the moment in any event..

I imagine that this is a bit of a curious moment in the development of battery technology - I can't see that it will be 'economic' (ie profitable) for the lith batteries to continue in production for long - given the competition from the superior qualitied LiFe p04 technology. Just a thought.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Those weren't LiFePO4 prices I quoted Cogs, they were for the current Li-polymer ones for comparison with the £270 for the Alien one.

Ping's LiFePO4 tend to cost less than those Li-poly ones, but much depends on carriage and customs duties and I'm not up to date on them.

Ping Store

Last edited:

cogs

Pedelecer
Sep 3, 2008
Those weren't LiFePO4 prices I quoted Cogs, they were for the current Li-polymer ones for comparison with the £270 for the Alien one.

Ping's LiFePO4 tend to cost less than those Li-poly ones, but I'm not up to date on them.

Ping Store
Are Li-poly superior to conventional lith and LiFep04 flecc?

Its a bit of a tangled jungle and difficult to keep 'up to speed'.

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
If you want ease of use and piece of mind (safety) with a DIY battery install then go with LiFePO4 or A123 cells. Lithium Poly needs care in use to avoid damaged to cells (physical and electrical) and minimise the very real risk of explosions....

cogs

Pedelecer
Sep 3, 2008
A123??

Exploding Lith-poly??

All I want is a good value replacement battery with good qualities of longevity and range.

I tend to fit and ride and then forget about the technological aspects!

I've never even heard of A123..

Sick headache coming on. :eek:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Are Li-poly superior to conventional lith and LiFep04 flecc?

Its a bit of a tangled jungle and difficult to keep 'up to speed'.
The industry, that's the battery and e-bike manufacturers, the importers and dealers have a broad consensus that li-polymer are best for the moment, though there is general agreement that LiFePO4 will take over with time.

The li-polymer types that current e-bikes use are perfectly safe, I believe those NRG refers to are different animals, possibly to be avoided if home constructing an e-bike battery.

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
Yes, sorry should have made that clear.