Which Bell

Bobajob

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2019
Cornwall
Not the most interesting thread but I am need of replacing my stock bell. The old one is a cheap ring with a plastic thumb hammer which isn't the best of warning for others.
Any ideas on a good bell I can buy?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

phone zombies wont here no bell :p

Reactions: Bobajob

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Not the most interesting thread but I am need of replacing my stock bell. The old one is a cheap ring with a plastic thumb hammer which isn't the best of warning for others.
I got one of these:
Crane Bell Unisex's Mini Suzu with Steel Band Mount Brass Bicycle Bell-Gold, 4.5 cm
It's OK - but price has shot up.
And anything short of a foghorn isn't going to penetrate noise-cancelling ear things.

Bobajob

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2019
Cornwall
I got one of these:
Crane Bell Unisex's Mini Suzu with Steel Band Mount Brass Bicycle Bell-Gold, 4.5 cm
It's OK - but price has shot up.
And anything short of a foghorn isn't going to penetrate noise-cancelling ear things.
funny you should say that I’ve encountered more in the last week than in the last six months lol

I should have enquires about a cattle prod really but I feel I’d get lynched here if I posted for one lol.

• :D
Reactions: Tarka and oyster

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
funny you should say that I’ve encountered more in the last week than in the last six months lol

I should have enquires about a cattle prod really but I feel I’d get lynched here if I posted for one lol.
Mean to add - I think I might go for the bigger size were I to chooce the same basic product - hoping it might be a bit louder.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester

Poolepete

Pedelecer
Aug 14, 2018
Poole
I got my wife one of these a year or so ago for her old bike. Comes in various colours but the turquoise matches her new Cube very well, so I transferred it across.

This is a big bell with a sound reminiscent of a bell from an old sailing ship...

Nothing will penetrate the self obsessed headphone wearing types though.

E-Pashley

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 23, 2020
It's big, it's bright and it's loud. It's also the worlds friendliest bell. I've acrually had people say to me, 'Ooo what a lovely bell. Ring it again!'.

Still won't get past headphones though. I find that front wheel just behind their knees and a top of the voice 'SCUSE ME normally does it.
I wold second this suggestion. I have the large size, and a gentle squeeze can give a simple "Ding", if that doesn't work the full "Ding Dong" is loud and unusual enough to get most peoples attention

Michael Price

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2018
I have been looking for some time for a system where I can ring my bell as a polite 'excuse me' - and also have an option of a warning when I need one.
My problem is that on many occasions I have rung my bell when I approach some people and one of them jumps out of the way in shock - as if expecting a yobbo doing 50 mph on a Yamaha rather than someone going at a reasonable speed on a bike - I suspect this is caused by previous experiences with entitled idiots on mountain bikes.
I might well try the ding dong bell mentioned above - thanks for that
problem is that with the ebike controller, lights, gear selector and bell - I am running out of handlebar space!!!

• Agree
Reactions: D C

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
I was passed yesterday by someone who just shouted ding ding, that worked fine and friendly.
Dave
I often just call ding-ding. Particularly when somebody suddenly lurches in front of me, or some other case where I don't have time to ring the bell.

Tarka

Pedelecer
Jan 29, 2019
Canal towpaths seem to be the worst for walkers with earphones and a dog off the lead. A bell or even speaking has no effect. Perhaps carrying a long stick and poking them in the back of their head might work?

Reactions: E-Pashley and sjpt

artspeck

Pedelecer
Nov 21, 2016
Sunderland
Canal towpaths seem to be the worst for walkers with earphones and a dog off the lead. A bell or even speaking has no effect. Perhaps carrying a long stick and poking them in the back of their head might work?
This works for me. It’s a very loud piercing horn like a house alarm 362869918605 on EBay

artspeck

Pedelecer
Nov 21, 2016
Sunderland
This works for me. It’s a very loud piercing sound much like a house intrusion alarm. Item number 362869918605 on eBay

DarkerSide

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 3, 2020

This is apparently the crane mini Suzu top cap bell. I like it because it leaves space on the handlebars for something a little more industrial...

Good solid Ting! which carries well.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Canal towpaths seem to be the worst for walkers with earphones and a dog off the lead.
Not as bad as a dog on a long lead

Reactions: Tarka

Bobajob

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2019
Cornwall
Not as bad as a dog on a long lead
I have been unfortunate enough to get entangled with one of these. The elderly lady was so apologetic but it was partly my fault aswell for not stopping 20’ away instead of 10’.
I was in no hurry, the dog was a nice little thing and the elderly lady was a treat to talk with.
I untangled the friendly dog and walked my bike alongside her for a minute chatting, bid her farewell and rode off into the sunset. lol