Which bike from a choice of 3??

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset
Went to look at both today but didn't get a chance to try either as was on way to work.

The Cube does ooze more quality than the Carrerra and I intend to go back later this week and try the Cube but I'm struggling to justify the extra cost - twice the price.

I'll give a wee example of the way I'm thinking. I've spent alot of money on audiophile earphones that range from £150 to £1200. Now my £700 earphones don't sound 50-100% better than my £300 earphones better yes but not by large margins, maybe 10-20% better. My question is does this similar theory/rule apply to ebikes - ie the law of diminishing returns?
Ride em both..... If you prefer the Cube and it seems to you that it is indeed worth twice the money. Then buy it if you can afford it.
Otherwise get the CrossfireE..... Almost all on here that have bought one have been happy with it. The only issues i've seen about them, is that some have experienced motor cutting out, but its been seldom and intermittent. Some have pointed to battery connectors for this. But its easy to go back to Halfords for any issues.
Another thing that may or not bother you.... is that Cube have raised prices by 15%, that they claim is due to the pound dropping over Brexit. I dont accept its cost them 15% and think they're cashing in on it. I wouldn't give them my business because of this.

• Agree
Reactions: LeighPing

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
  • :D

AndyEBike

Finding my (electric) wheels
I can relate to your headphone analogy. I write and record music and know that the law of diminishing returns applies to audio/studio gear. I think the same law applies to Ebikes BUT.......I think the top end stuff is where the law applies (£4000 and up).I know that I love my Cube more than my Crossfire and consider the extra £300 I paid (this was when the Crossfire was £999) to be well worth it. But I had already decided that I loved ebiking and was able to "donate" the Crossfire to my wife. For me, even at almost double the current price the Cube would be my choice but you need to be sure that an ebike is for you before commiting £1400. However, when we replace our Dutch style hire bike we will probably go for a Crossfire - a decision based on cost and how soon it will recoup the outlay. That's a decision from the head - if we were making the decision with our hearts we'd go for the Cube.

• Informative

Suseka

Pedelecer
Jun 14, 2016
Norfolk
My thoughts on this are -you get what you pay for to a lesser or greater degree. I would not spend +£s on top branded stuff, just for the logo -but would spend extra for quality, if that makes sense.

There are a good few folks on here who have invested in a Crossfire and so far they seem to be getting good reviews (except for the intermittent power failures) -I would say your choice should be based on the good old 'try before you buy' adage.

Donna

Pedelecer
Aug 14, 2016
Devon
I can relate to your headphone analogy. I write and record music and know that the law of diminishing returns applies to audio/studio gear. I think the same law applies to Ebikes BUT.......I think the top end stuff is where the law applies (£4000 and up).I know that I love my Cube more than my Crossfire and consider the extra £300 I paid (this was when the Crossfire was £999) to be well worth it. But I had already decided that I loved ebiking and was able to "donate" the Crossfire to my wife. For me, even at almost double the current price the Cube would be my choice but you need to be sure that an ebike is for you before commiting £1400. However, when we replace our Dutch style hire bike we will probably go for a Crossfire - a decision based on cost and how soon it will recoup the outlay. That's a decision from the head - if we were making the decision with our hearts we'd go for the Cube.
Hello Andy

Sorry to bother you but I see you are in Devon/ Cornwall border, I am looking for my 1st bike but struggling as I am short, I note you have a dutch style hire bike, Do you mind if I ask what one it is or could you give me any advice of suitability as you know living in devon there are not many places close by to try bikes out

Thanks in advance & apologies for jumping in on this thread

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Hello Andy

Sorry to bother you but I see you are in Devon/ Cornwall border, I am looking for my 1st bike but struggling as I am short, I note you have a dutch style hire bike, Do you mind if I ask what one it is or could you give me any advice of suitability as you know living in devon there are not many places close by to try bikes out

Donna...you may look at the new Kudos Sprint,the design is such that it accomodates from 4'8" to 6'0 ft.....www.kudoscycles.com
Kudos Dave

AndyEBike

Finding my (electric) wheels
Hello Andy

No problem. I'm away for the weekend but I'll get the specs etc on our Flyer Dutch style bike when I get back....however.......you definitely DON'T want one exactly like it! It's heavy and unwieldy and has the turning circle of a supertanker. Moreover it has drum brakes which aren't a patch on discs. It makes me nervous descending some of the hills round here. My wife is 5'2" and the smallest Carrera Crossfire ebike fits her nicely but if you are shorter than that you might struggle as she has the saddle right down. Have a look in one of the larger Halfords - the one at Marsh Mills in Plymouth has at least one bike person with reasonable knowledge and a fair selection of Ebikes. I'm not a fan of folding bikes but smaller wheels often mean easier fitting for shorter people. We borrowed a couple of ebikes from Dartmoor Cycles in Tavistock (when we had four people wanting bikes and we only have two) and one of the ones they lent us was a small Raleigh which suited the girl that hired it perfectly and she was certainly what you'd call "petite" so it might worth researching frame sizes of Raleigh models - although I'd always want to at least sit on any bike I was thinking of buying. Depends where you live but there is an ebike shop in Okehampton and one just opening near Exeter if I remember right. Any good bike shop can advise you on frame sizes. Good luck!

Donna

Pedelecer
Aug 14, 2016
Devon
Donna...you may look at the new Kudos Sprint,the design is such that it accomodates from 4'8" to 6'0 ft.....www.kudoscycles.com
Kudos Dave
Hello Dave

I am going to try & get to see kudos safari however I just wanted to check how the pedal assist works is it similar to the juicy which is speed related or torque related, Im not sure if it was just me not using the juicy correct but at times I felt the pedals were running too fast so I didn't need to out any effort in at all, Plymouth Bike hire recommended either the juicy or kudos but they don't have a step through kudos I could try

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Donna,are you trying these bikes on a hill ?
A speed sensor is a rotational switch,you rotate pedals you get power,you can adjust the amount of power using the PAS selector. A torque sensor detects the effort you are exerting on the pedals and replicates that effort,if you push hard on the pedals you get max power,if you light touch the pedals you get low power. A torque sensor is ideal for someone who is pretty fit but needs help at steep hills,but if your legs are tired you cannot get power without inputting power,it gives a very intuitive ride.
The Safari is an older style of bike,its quite heavy but has a very wide step thru,that is why I suggested the new Sprint model,it is lighter has a longer range (11Ah battery).
KudosDave

Donna

Pedelecer
Aug 14, 2016
Devon
Donna,are you trying these bikes on a hill ?
A speed sensor is a rotational switch,you rotate pedals you get power,you can adjust the amount of power using the PAS selector. A torque sensor detects the effort you are exerting on the pedals and replicates that effort,if you push hard on the pedals you get max power,if you light touch the pedals you get low power. A torque sensor is ideal for someone who is pretty fit but needs help at steep hills,but if your legs are tired you cannot get power without inputting power,it gives a very intuitive ride.
The Safari is an older style of bike,its quite heavy but has a very wide step thru,that is why I suggested the new Sprint model,it is lighter has a longer range (11Ah battery).
KudosDave
Hello Dave

Do you know where I might be able to see the new sprint close to Devon, Sorry I forgot to say also I tried the juicy on flat & some small hills but nothing too big, My husband had the Raleigh Captus & he did say he had to put in a lot more effort than me, I only used the juicy on low on medium setting but on the flat it just felt as if I didn't need to put any effort in, But Im aware I might struggle with a torque one, What I don't want is to have to put no effort in at all as the idea is to get fitter & loose a bit of weight, The only thing that puts me off the sprint is the tyre size & lack of colours to choose from
Thanks

Last edited:

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Donna,I am sorry but no dealer has taken on the Sprint....since Brexit many of the dealers are nervous to take on new stock.
Perhaps you could persuade your dealer to take on one,if you offered to pay the return carriage.
It is,at that price level,almost a unique bike in the UK....Kalkhoff and KTM had a similar style bike but it was £2k price level.
KudosDave

Donna

Pedelecer
Aug 14, 2016
Devon
Donna,I am sorry but no dealer has taken on the Sprint....since Brexit many of the dealers are nervous to take on new stock.
Perhaps you could persuade your dealer to take on one,if you offered to pay the return carriage.
It is,at that price level,almost a unique bike in the UK....Kalkhoff and KTM had a similar style bike but it was £2k price level.
KudosDave
I am correct in thinking it only comes in black & only with 24" Wheels
How much does it cost to return, I might speak to a local dealer
Thanks

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
I only used the juicy on low on medium setting but on the flat it just felt as if I didn't need to put any effort in
Hi Donna
After 8 miles an hour in Low setting you would be doing all the work - maybe you're fitter than you think! I didn't think Plymouth had any of our Poco, which you might like. You can try one though at Exeter Electric Bike Higher.

Donna

Pedelecer
Aug 14, 2016
Devon
Hi Donna
After 8 miles an hour in Low setting you would be doing all the work - maybe you're fitter than you think! I didn't think Plymouth had any of our Poco, which you might like. You can try one though at Exeter Electric Bike Higher.

Hi

No Plymouth doesn't have the poco, I tried the classic which whilst my feet didn't reach the ground was a comfortable bike but I felt as if I wasn't doing much work, Im not sure what speed we were going as it doesn't say but I did notice you can add an lcd upgrade, Im thinking of trying it again this weekend, My husband had the raleigh cactus & he said he had to put in more effort than I did which may not be good for me as I get heat exhaustion & pass out easily so that wouldn't be great either
I like the look of the juicy & the colour options & Andrew at Plymouth Bike Hire was a great help

Reactions: JuicyBike

Suseka

Pedelecer
Jun 14, 2016
Norfolk
Hi Donna,
I ride a 'pedal assist' version and am also trying to get fit -I do find that sometimes it seems as if I don't need to put much effort in (on flats) but if I'm in the mood I simply drop the 'assist' level down (or off) and/or adjust the gears and that does the trick.
Having the option to up the 'assist' with minimal pedal effort has certainly helped me out when I've been up against a strong headwind and my energy levels are low.

Reactions: Wisper Bikes

Donna

Pedelecer
Aug 14, 2016
Devon
Hi Donna,
I ride a 'pedal assist' version and am also trying to get fit -I do find that sometimes it seems as if I don't need to put much effort in (on flats) but if I'm in the mood I simply drop the 'assist' level down (or off) and/or adjust the gears and that does the trick.
Having the option to up the 'assist' with minimal pedal effort has certainly helped me out when I've been up against a strong headwind and my energy levels are low.
Hello Suseka

Thank you for replying, Do you mind if I ask what bike you have, I am struggling little as Im short but I think I just need to learn how to get off when stopping properly, I don't want it too easy but then if it is too difficult it will put me off riding altogether

Last edited:

Suseka

Pedelecer
Jun 14, 2016
Norfolk
Mine is the Wisper 705se, they also do a Torque version. The 705 is a stepthrough , which I need because I too am vertically challenged :) am 5'4" but with short legs. I have to put the seat post down to the lowest level, but find I can touch my toe down without having to dismount.

I was looking for a Dutch style but the one I tried was just too big a frame for me. I am really pleased with my choice and am building confidence and stamina each time I ride :)

• Agree
Reactions: Wisper Bikes

Suseka

Pedelecer
Jun 14, 2016
Norfolk
PS. You might want to check out the AMPS.com website for details and specs, or maybe David, who owns the Wisper brand, might pop on here to help. His Torque version has the best of both, with a pedal assist option. Angelnorth, a member on here has one a loves it.

I tried the T version but opted for the pedal assist, but the best advice is to try a few out if you can.

Might be worth starting a new thread and open the question up to many of the very experienced ebikers here. Just a thought.

Angelnorth

Pedelecer
May 13, 2016
Hexham, Northumberland
His Torque version has the best of both, with a pedal assist option. Angelnorth, a member on here has one a loves it.
Hello, that would be me :)

I've just reviewed it here - happy to answer any questions if you have them Donna, either on that thread or this!

Pssst - Suseka, Donna already started a thread to seek advice here (and she's shorter than you).

Reactions: Suseka