Which bike has the longest pure power range?

pedestrian

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 5, 2008
I currently get about 10 miles from my Powabyke X-byke (I weigh about 14 stone).

Are there any bikes which would do more than this on pure power?

bert11

Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2011
southwest England
17 miles on mine, 95%+ power only. Details in sig

theskip1

Pedelecer
Mar 4, 2010
sm6
i am expecting about 70ml on my whisper 705se sport 200w with 20ah battery, but have never been far enough to run it flat.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

I

Are there any bikes which would do more than this on pure power?
Nearly all of them because thats quite low.

The bike with the biggest battery will go the furthest. Multiply the battery volts by the number of amp-hours and the higher the number, the further it will go. Other things like weight and motor/controller/drive-train efficiencies make a small difference; changing knobbly tyres to slicks makes a worthwhile difference, but, if you want to go far and don't want to pedal, get a big battery, or carry a spare or two.

Tsakis

Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2011
The bike with the biggest battery will go the furthest. Multiply the battery volts by the number of amp-hours and the higher the number, the further it will go. Other things like weight and motor/controller/drive-train efficiencies make a small difference; changing knobbly tyres to slicks makes a worthwhile difference, but, if you want to go far and don't want to pedal, get a big battery, or carry a spare or two.
I am a bit confused now... I thought the ah of a battery determined the range.. By what you say a assume that wh is the real deal..

This means that a 36v 10ah (360wh) battery will have significantly less range than the 48v 10ah (480wh) battery, running on the same wattage ofc..

I am asking this because I want a 48v 10ah battery but alby has only the 36v 14ah available.. If the above is true then having the 48v gives roughly the range of the 14ah one but with the extra plus that you can squeeze the battery to commute in greater speeds when range is not needed, right?

vectra

Pedelecer
Feb 5, 2011

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
I am a bit confused now... I thought the ah of a battery determined the range.. By what you say a assume that wh is the real deal..

This means that a 36v 10ah (360wh) battery will have significantly less range than the 48v 10ah (480wh) battery, running on the same wattage ofc..

I am asking this because I want a 48v 10ah battery but alby has only the 36v 14ah available.. If the above is true then having the 48v gives roughly the range of the 14ah one but with the extra plus that you can squeeze the battery to commute in greater speeds when range is not needed, right?
Yes wh are the real deal as its a measure of the energy capacity of the battery. Range is also determined by what type of drive system you have so a larger wh battery may not always give you greater range when comparing different drive technologies. However, given the same drive method, then yes the more wh you have the further you will go given that all the other variables stay the same ;)

Also, there's an argument for the higher voltage as the losses will be less for a given current draw from the motor.

Last edited:

Tsakis

Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2011
I see... Thanks for the insight, I guess I should wait for the 48v 10ah battery to arrive then even if the waiting is killing me:)...

pedestrian

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 5, 2008
i am expecting about 70ml on my whisper 705se sport 200w with 20ah battery, but have never been far enough to run it flat.
Wow, that's impressive. How much do you weigh?

However, wisper only claim "up to 56 miles range" for the larger battery. What makes you think you can get 70?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
However, wisper only claim "up to 56 miles range" for the larger battery. What makes you think you can get 70?
That Wisper claim is for their largest 14 Ah battery, so for 20 Ah their claim would be up to 80 miles. Theskip1 must be using another battery to get the 20 Ah.

theskip1

Pedelecer
Mar 4, 2010
sm6
That Wisper claim is for their largest 14 Ah battery, so for 20 Ah their claim would be up to 80 miles. Theskip1 must be using another battery to get the 20 Ah.
thats right i am using a 20ah vpower battery. I had to alter the frame to get it in. you can get an idea from the pic. in case your intrested its a pic of the old croydon airport looking east.
27042011036.jpg

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
in case your intrested its a pic of the old croydon airport looking east.
Croydon's London International Airport was great, with it's traffic lights stopping the traffic for airliners to land on the main runway that crossed the road. I don't think many cyclists would want to jump those lights! :D

Heathrow is boring in comparison.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Is there a demand for 20Ah batteries?

Our new generation bikes are 16Ah and we felt that was about all the market demeaned, we can fit 20Ah but would anyone pay the extra?

Regards

David

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
Is there a demand for 20Ah batteries?

Our new generation bikes are 16Ah and we felt that was about all the market demeaned, we can fit 20Ah but would anyone pay the extra?

Regards

David
What would the extra cost be David ?

And how much advantage would it give ?

What about extra weight ?

But, in principle......YES PLEASE :)

Lynda

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi Lyne, I am off to the BEBA Parliamentary e-bike day in a few minutes (terrified, as I am presenting to a bunch of MP's etc in the House of Lords committee room 6).

I will reply in full tomorrow (and your pm), but roughly.....

20% more range and weight.
£100.00 more cost.

All the best

David

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
Best of luck David......go go go......speak later

Lynda