Which bike? I'm confused!

androo4519

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 15, 2009
I'm thinking about getting an electric bike, but can't decide a. whether I should get one at all, or b. which to get.

I currently ride a 24-speed Ridgeback Velocity hybrid – nothing special but a decent bike that I feel comfortable on and by far the best I've ever had. I'm not the world's fittest cyclist and rarely do more than 20 miles. I live in West Yorkshire and my local terrain varies from quite hilly to horribly hilly. All the hills are uphill, and we have special winds here that blow against you no matter which way you travel :rolleyes:

While no hill defeats me, I can't say I find it very pleasurable slogging up a 1-in-4 in bottom gear. It's okay if I'm in the mood, but often I just want to go somewhere with minimum effort and arrive not needing medical attention. I don't drive, so I need to use the bike for all kinds of things.

So, whatever electric bike I get, good hill-climbing is my number-one priority.

Would I be better getting something light, like a Cytronex equipped Cannondale, or something more powerful and long range, like a Kalkhoff? Even though I only do 20 miles now, if I had an easier ride, I'd like to go further.

I like the look of the Kalkhoff Pro Connect 27g (the price scares me, but I might pay it if it was superb). Or would I be able to manage my hills on a regular Pro Connect with the 9 gears? Is the assistance strong enough to make up for the lack of gears? The first hill I encounter on every ride (20 yards from my front door) is an unavoidable 1-in-3.5 cobbled street. How would an electric bike manage on this?

And is there anywhere in West Yorkshire (Aire Valley region) to try these things out? I'm wary of buying mail order without trying one first since they're so expensive.

Tim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2006
London
The regular Pro Connect should manage this just fine, especially the 2010 versions which have more oomph in high power mode than the 2009 version.

Last edited by a moderator:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes, bikes using the Panasonic or Yamaha drive through the gears systems are always going to be the best on 1 in 4 and similar very steep hills. These systems demand a percentage proportion of the power from you all the time which won't change for hills, you'll just climb slower as you change down. There are cadence limitations on these though, on the Panasonic system bikes full power assist available up to a 40 pedalling cadence, thereafter declining gradually to zero power from a 65 cadence upwards. Therefore it's slowish pedalling to get the most power assist.

Hub motors are effectively stuck in one gear only, top, not ideal for hill climbing, but ok with a very strong rider. The power needed from you varies with the terrain, very little or none on the flat, more and more with increasing hill steepness. The Cytronex will certainly work for you since you can manage the hills without assist, but you will still have to work moderately hard on the steepest hills.

However, do anything possible to try before buying, even if it means expense and travel, the two types are so radically different that one might be ideal for you and one you might hate.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
You really need to try the two types (hub & crank) just get on a train and travel to nearest dealer that stocks both styles....it will be a worth while day out:)

drago35uk

Jan 11, 2010
I also live in West Yorkshire,in the Pennines. I had exactly the same problems of what to choose because of all the hills! Eventually I went for the Wisper 905 Sport because of the better range offerered. So far it's got me up whatever I've pointed it at. Probably more effort needed than a crank drive,but I am far from what you would call fit:D

The nearest dealer with a good range I found was Valley Scooters of Bolton.

Last edited:

Gepida uk

Pedelecer
May 11, 2009
Hi androo4519,

If you decide to take a day out to Valley Scooters you will be able to test our Gepida bike which uses the Yamaha battery & crank drive unit, this would be an ideal bike for commuting in Yorkshire with it being so hilly. They have the Reptila 1000 ready for demonstration, ask for Sue or Ian who will be able to help you, you can contact Valley Scooters on 01204 532183.

Hope this helps.

androo4519

Dec 15, 2009
Thanks

Thanks everyone. That's very interesting. I'll start to follow all this up pretty soon I think.

Tex

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 14, 2009
Sydney, Australia
when i'm in the UK in may im heading to OnBike to try a E-Motion. Never tried a crank motor..

i've a pretty nifty hub motor set-ups but they are not too good on the steep hills and conk out below about 9km/h - even the hi-torque bionx 350pl i have

eTim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 19, 2009
Andover, Hants.
when i'm in the UK in may im heading to OnBike to try a E-Motion. Never tried a crank motor..

i've a pretty nifty hub motor set-ups but they are not too good on the steep hills and conk out below about 9km/h - even the hi-torque bionx 350pl i have
Thanx for the update on the Bionx, glad I haven't splashed out on one.