Which hub motor for my handbike (Q100H?)

Torbe

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 14, 2018
Denmark
Hi,

so i have been reading alot of threads here on hub kit recommendations, but since many of these kits seems to have their pros and cons which very much relates to things such as rider weight, terrain etc. I am looking for some guidance.

First of all, because i am in a wheelchair my bike is a handbike, meaning that it is not pedelled by feet and legs but by hands and arms.

It's this bike https://www.sunrisemedical.co.uk/wheelchairs/quickie/sports-wheelchairs/shark-rs

I tried mounting a center motor (TSZD2) which i had lying around, but becuase of a not-standard frame it dit not fit. However i think a hubmotor will fit just fine.

Bike has 559 (26") wheels.
130mm rear dropout
Ultegra crank with 3 casettes
10 speed deore casette on the wheel

My weight is 65kg
Commute distance ~35km 4 days a week
Terrain has medium hills
looking for 250-500W ish i guess.

From what i have read, the Q100H looks intersting, but i would be very interested in opinions/dieas. And please ask questions if you have some :)

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
where do you want to mount the battery?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
if you make a plastic/wooden box 40cm x 11cm x 11cm (internal dimensions) as a footrest, you could keep/lock all the electrics inside then it's easy to fit the XF08C kit to your trike.
http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?hubkits#xf08ckit

Torbe

Jan 14, 2018
Denmark
if you make a plastic/wooden box 40cm x 11cm x 11cm (internal dimensions) as a footrest, you could keep/lock all the electrics inside then it's easy to fit the XF08C kit to your trike.
http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?hubkits#xf08ckit
Hi, thanks for the recommendation. I am a bit confused as to where this footrest should be placed, care to explain or visualize on the picture? Currently the feet are one on each side of the weel on the orange "brackets"

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Slung under the orange bracket across the front of the wheel.

Why are you looking at a freewheel motor (Q100H) surely that is a cassette hub?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Hi, thanks for the recommendation. I am a bit confused as to where this footrest should be placed, care to explain or visualize on the picture? Currently the feet are one on each side of the weel on the orange "brackets"
I can't work out the arrangement inside the cockpit but as a suggestion, how about between the two footrests?

Torbe

Jan 14, 2018
Denmark
Slung under the orange bracket across the front of the wheel.

Why are you looking at a freewheel motor (Q100H) surely that is a cassette hub?
I think i have misunderstood what a freewheel is. Can you suggest a motor which is suited?

Torbe

Jan 14, 2018
Denmark
I can't work out the arrangement inside the cockpit but as a suggestion, how about between the two footrests?
Shark.jpg

Oh ok, yes i see. Thanks :). Maybe an option of it does not conflict to much with legs.
Btw those are not footrests :)

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Bafang cst is a lovely hub plenty of oomph but a bit weighty at 4.4kg.
Q100c or Q128c both good. Q100c@17a or Q128c20a.
Both happy at 36 or 48v, starting from scratch if you have to buy a battery go for 13s/48v.

Q100c is for 32h rim but is nice at only about 2.2kg
Q128c is for 36h rom though is a bit heavier at approx. 3.2kg.

Another option is the Yose cst kits though are only 36v with the supplied 15a controller, connections are all Julet so not user friendly to swap out for 48v controller without changing wiring.
Their main disadvantage is winding speed of about 280 - 300rpm though given more amps can take
it, my one runs at 48v @20a.

Last edited:

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I think i have misunderstood what a freewheel is. Can you suggest a motor which is suited?
The one Woosh recommended is good, I have the freewheel version of that, his is the cassette version (disclaimer: I didn't buy it from them). Otherwise the Q100C is a light motor for cassettes.

You would just need the motor and a wheel builder would lace it into your rim, you re-use the cassette which is already mounted on your wheel.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Depends on the hub 180mm 8tun CST I have is 4.4kg.

Torbe

Jan 14, 2018
Denmark
Bafang cst is a lovely hub plenty of oomph but a bit weighty at 4.4kg.
Q100c or Q128c both good. Q100c@17a or Q128c20a.
Both happy at 36 or 48v, starting from scratch if you have to buy a battery go for 13s/48v.

Q100c is for 32h rim but is nice at only about 2.2kg
Q128c is for 36h rom though is a bit heavier at approx. 3.2kg.

Another option is the Yose cst kits though are only 36v with the supplied 15a controller, connections are all Julet so not user friendly to swap out for 48v controller without changing wiring.
Their main disadvantage is winding speed of about 280 - 300rpm though given more amps can take
it, my one runs at 48v @20a.
Thanks very helpful! :).

I have a 36V battery lying around, so i might just use that.
Can you recommend any specific kits i should go for with the Q100c or Q128c, or are all the kits pretty much the same?

Torbe

Jan 14, 2018
Denmark
The one Woosh recommended is good, I have the freewheel version of that, his is the cassette version (disclaimer: I didn't buy it from them). Otherwise the Q100C is a light motor for cassettes.

You would just need the motor and a wheel builder would lace it into your rim, you re-use the cassette which is already mounted on your wheel.
OK thanks, sounds good. Any recommendations for controller / display?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Do you mean that there is different weights for different versions of the 500w?
Weight will be a bit different as 500w will have stronger windings then a 250w. My cst is supposedly 250w though it isn't marked.
Mostly though weight will depend on the hub diameter as well. SWX02 will be lighter then my cst as it is only 160mm compared to 180mm. I've weighed my cst so know it weighs 4.4kg.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
OK thanks, sounds good. Any recommendations for controller / display?
Controller - a KT sine wave 15 or 17 amp and your choice of KT LCD. Is cadence an important thing for you? In that case the LCD-6 has a cadence display. I don't think Woosh does those you might have to order from the PSPpower store.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Thanks very helpful! :).

I have a 36V battery lying around, so i might just use that.
Can you recommend any specific kits i should go for with the Q100c or Q128c, or are all the kits pretty much the same?
Generally most often use are the KT controllers and bits , buy from PSWPower or I find better service from their Aliexpress store. Advantage of these is that the controllers are dual voltage so can happily be used with 36 & 48v and a more choice amp wise though if you buy a high amp controller you can reduce the amps via lcd3/lcd6 set up.
All BMSBattery S prefixed controllers are KT so all much the same except they are not dual voltage.

17a for the Q100c or 20a for Q128c.
PSWPower ones are more compact in size then BMSB ones.

You need controller, lcd display, pas , throttle and worth while getting a speed sensor in case the hubs internal one packs in at all. And something to put it all in to hide the wiring.