Which is the best Android app for a sunny ride?

John F

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 3, 2013
I want to fix my Android phone to my bars but I fear that most of the map/navigate/etc apps will not be too visible in sunny conditions. Suggestions anyone?

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
I want to fix my Android phone to my bars but I fear that most of the map/navigate/etc apps will not be too visible in sunny conditions. Suggestions anyone?
Make some sort of sun shield, that you can stare down into and put the phone on maximum brightness. Like a square tube, slightly bigger than the screen, and longer, say 10cm long at least, then mock something up with cardboard to see if that helps. If it works, buy some square plastic tubing from a DIY store.....
Plus, listen to the navigational advice aurally, do not rely on the screen 100%.
Andy

John F

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 3, 2013
Make some sort of sun shield, that you can stare down into and put the phone on maximum brightness. Like a square tube, slightly bigger than the screen, and longer, say 10cm long at least, then mock something up with cardboard to see if that helps. If it works, buy some square plastic tubing from a DIY store.....
Plus, listen to the navigational advice aurally, do not rely on the screen 100%.
Andy
Yes that sounds like an option. Thinking about it further I was wondering whether an app which had white characters on a black background rather than a white background would at least be more legible, though I haven't found one so far.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
In answer to the title (rather than the OP question): I don't think any app will guarantee you a sunny ride.

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Yes that sounds like an option. Thinking about it further I was wondering whether an app which had white characters on a black background rather than a white background would at least be more legible, though I haven't found one so far.
Let us know how you get on please.
Also, the modern "Ear Buds" without cables (BlueTooth) may also be a good option, but only on one side, as you need to hear the traffic still!
Andy

Reactions: richtea99

BazP

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 8, 2017
Sheffield
Myself and partner both use different apps when riding and neither of us have difficulty seeing the screen.
Been out in the sun a few times lately and both phones are on the handlebars.

John F

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 3, 2013
Myself and partner both use different apps when riding and neither of us have difficulty seeing the screen.
Been out in the sun a few times lately and both phones are on the handlebars.
Yes I've done a couple of sunny rides with my new handlebar mounted phone. Not so much of a problem as I anticipated if you move the bike so it's in the shade. Been looking for apps to use and there are so many it's a difficult choice (which do you use?) Used internet radio and my songs via bluetooth earbuds so far. A map app visble in sunlight would be good though.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I didn't need an app for todays sunny ride out, instead I poked my head out of the door and hey presto it was already very sunny .

PP100

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2020
To be honest, visibility in bright sun will depend much more on what model of phone you have and the maximum brightness it can manage to compete with full sun (which will vary )
but you could check to see if your phone or Android version has any accessibility settings (eg high contrast ) or even look for a specific app which can override your phone contrast settings temporarily.

Last edited:

BazP

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 8, 2017
Sheffield
Yes I've done a couple of sunny rides with my new handlebar mounted phone. Not so much of a problem as I anticipated if you move the bike so it's in the shade. Been looking for apps to use and there are so many it's a difficult choice (which do you use?) Used internet radio and my songs via bluetooth earbuds so far. A map app visble in sunlight would be good though.
I have MemoryMap with OS25k maps for the U.K. on which I can draw routes or import gpx files. I also have ViewRanger for when abroad. My partner has used Cyclemeter for a few years but mainly for the after ride stats.

Alyrpal

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 22, 2020
I use cycle.travel to plan traffic free routes everywhere. It uses traffic data to plan routes. You can see the elevation data and distances, also gives turn by turn by turn data with photos. I export a gpx file into Osmand+ on my phone and that follows the route giving voice turn by turn directions. Only cost is £5.99pa for Osmand. I either mount the phone in a housing on the stem or keep it in a breast pocket.

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
Komoot app is great for navigation, set phone to max brightness, and set Komoot to turn off display between turns to save battery. Set your screen timeout to 30secs.
I paid 20 quid for a lifetime sub to all world-wide maps

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
My DPC-18 isn't bright enough on the sunniest days. E-paper GPS systems are not at all common, but would be much better for viewing in bright sunlight.

jimriley

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2020
I use Google maps, now has more for cyclists. The black screen/white text could be selected using night mode?