which kit for 22mile ride?

erian

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 15, 2017
Denmark
Hi everyone,

I am pretty new to the ebike community and pretty confused already to be honest.

So here's the thing, I want to start cycling to work again, i used to do it when i was living closer but not anymore. I have to cover a distance of 22miles to go there through flat flat Danish countryside and i am looking for something that will help me maintain a speed of 16mph for 1,5 hours, but also push me a little on my bad days. Any ideas on what is the most user friendly, low maintenance, easy to setup 250w kit? any batteries some good robust ones?

Mid drive, front or rear hub? ofc on the main aspects is that the kit MUST be pretty water/winterproof.

Thanks in advance

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
For a flat commute on road rear hub motor, not many 250w kits about however Woosh bikes sell a 48v 250w rear kit if you don't mind a freewheel for gears.

Other wise a lot of kits are 350w.
These from Elifeshop on Ebay are very good value all have the nice KT controller kits and sensored hubs, approx. 270/280rpm with top speed of 32km/h.
I have just bought a kit to try out for £175 inc delivery, an xmas present for myself.
Lots of talk on pedelecs.de about them and they are raving about them, plenty seem to be using them and peeling off the 350w label. The hubs are Yose power built I assume and look like a Bafang clone as most are, they have a typical Bafang screw on side plate. Over on Pedelec .de they say 10% hills are ok with these kits.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/elifeshop-2012/m.html?item=302470853977&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

For a battery be careful as there are some rubbish cells be used by vendors even Elife shop.
Minimum cell to use would be Samsung 29E's otherwise look for Samsung 30Q celled batteries or LG MJ1 but none will be cheap. Look at offerings from Eclipse bikes or get all complete from Woosh Bikes.
Also signup on Pedelecs.de as they are also quite helpful I find as well.

Last edited:

erian

Dec 15, 2017
Denmark
For a flat commute on road rear hub motor, not many 250w kits about however Woosh bikes sell a 48v 250w rear kit if you don't mind a freewheel for gears.

Other wise a lot of kits are 350w.
These from Elifeshop on Ebay are very good value all have the nice KT controller kits and sensored hubs, approx. 270/280rpm with top speed of 32km/h.
I have just bought a kit to try out for £175 inc delivery, an xmas present for myself.
Lots of talk on pedelecs.de about them and they are raving about them, plenty seem to be using them and peeling off the 350w label. The hubs are Yose power built I assume and look like a Bafang clone as most are, they have a typical Bafang screw on side plate. Over on Pedelec .de they say 10% hills are ok with these kits.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/elifeshop-2012/m.html?item=302470853977&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

For a battery be careful as there are some rubbish cells be used by vendors even Elife shop.
Minimum cell to use would be Samsung 29E's otherwise look for Samsung 30Q celled batteries or LG MJ1 but none will be cheap. Look at offerings from Eclipse bikes or get all complete from Woosh Bikes.
Also signup on Pedelecs.de as they are also quite helpful I find as well.
thanks on the reccomendations. I looked at woosh it seems their wheels are 26in size only.

In general I ve found something else looking interesting as well.. any thoughts on this? http://www.bimoz.ch/en
It looks overconfident though.... 30Nm on the pedal....something tells me it would be damn weak for a proper support...

Powerbikes

Trade Member
Sep 11, 2017
Whitehaven
www.powerbikes.uk
  • Informative
Reactions: E-Wheels

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
thanks on the reccomendations. I looked at woosh it seems their wheels are 26in size only.
If you need a kit with 700C motor wheels, I have XF07 front and rear (freewheel) and XF08C rear (cassette).
They can all be supplied with HL downtube batteries or rear rack batteries.
The controller is set to 17A maximum continuous, LCD with 5 assist levels, sensored brake levers, thumb throttle and pedal sensor.
For 22 miles on the flat, 13AH or 15AH will suffice, even in windy condition.

http://wooshbikes.co.uk/cart/#/product/uid-121-xf08c-13ah/xf08-cst-rear-hub-kit-with-13ah-battery

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
If you need a kit with 700C motor wheels, I have XF07 front and rear (freewheel) and XF08C rear (cassette).
The controller is set to 17A maximum continuous, LCD with 5 assist levels, sensored brake levers, thumb throttle and pedal sensor.

http://wooshbikes.co.uk/cart/#/product/uid-121-xf08c-13ah/xf08-cst-rear-hub-kit-with-13ah-battery
I've been using XF08C kit from Woosh for several months now and I'm confident that it would do all that you require and more, also you get superb service and after sales from Woosh.
I've had 40 plus miles with the 15AH down tube battery in a hilly area and with power left at the end of the ride.
Dave.

DynatechFan

Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2017
t'North
I have a Yose Battery kit and have been pretty impressed, it certainly has the guts for hills and looks so innocuous no one would suspect it isn't road legal. If it has a downside it would be efficiency - on my route at least, this kit is nowhere near as efficient in battery usage as the Shimano Steps bike I had

My commute is just under 12 miles round trip with 900ft of climbing on the return, some steep. My average return speed is maybe 15kmh but the 300 rpm wheel isnt running at its best when I ride this slowly (its free running speed is c42 kmh, so efficient in the 30 to 40kmh range I imagine). Each trip will typically use 75% of a 10.4Ah battery - I dont know but my guess would be a flat run at higher speeds would see it noticeably more efficient - you may want to hear some user experience of flat road use to decide on your battery needs if you go down this route

erian

Dec 15, 2017
Denmark

Pretty good pack, I have a couple of questions.

This will go on an old aluminium CX bike with drop bars and disc brakes. Could any other magnetic brake sensors work with it?
The shifters are for 7 or 8 gears, I have 8 gears now, is this freewheel compatible with 7/8 gear shimano cassettes?
From what i understand from reading the installation instructions the controller is integrated in the battery craddle or...? Im asking because my seattube is rather crowded on the back as well (mudguards, top/pull gear mech, disc brake cables) so i wont have space to fit that there.
Last, is there a pedelec sensor compatible with hollowtech II shimano cranks?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
This will go on an old aluminium CX bike with drop bars and disc brakes. Could any other magnetic brake sensors work with it?
Disc brakes are OK, the motor has a rotor mounting.
However, inline brake sensors need their 5V supply, which isn't available on the Julet trunk cable.
If you use a rear rack battery (£25 extra for the rear rack), then I can supply all the parts. The main problem is mounting the LCD on the handlebars. The collar of the LCD is to fit normal bars. Same problem to fit the throttle.

I would suggest a Tongsheng TSDZ2 CD kit for bikes with drop bars.

erian

Dec 15, 2017
Denmark
However, inline brake sensors need their 5V supply, which isn't available on the Julet trunk cable.
If you use a rear rack battery (£25 extra for the rear rack), then I can supply all the parts. The main problem is mounting the LCD on the handlebars. The collar of the LCD is to fit normal bars. Same problem to fit the throttle.

hmm I guess by normal bars you mean the 22.2mm diameter ones.

Then i just have to decide that my genesis commuter is more compatible with retrofitting. About the Tongsheng, I wouldnt like to ditch my gears so I would avoid a mid drive... But even with the genesis some of my questions remain...the bike runs a 1x7 with a 7 gear shimano cassette will it fit the freewheel? Am i right to suspect that the controller is intergrated in the battery or should i look for place on the bike for this also?

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
hmm I guess by normal bars you mean the 22.2mm diameter ones.

Then i just have to decide that my genesis commuter is more compatible with retrofitting. About the Tongsheng, I wouldnt like to ditch my gears so I would avoid a mid drive... But even with the genesis some of my questions remain...the bike runs a 1x7 with a 7 gear shimano cassette will it fit the freewheel? Am i right to suspect that the controller is intergrated in the battery or should i look for place on the bike for this also?
You probably need a spacer to mount a 7 speed cassette on an 8 speed hub, I did. Often they come with the cassette.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
But even with the genesis some of my questions remain...the bike runs a 1x7 with a 7 gear shimano cassette will it fit the freewheel?
we have stock of 7-speed and 8-speed cassettes and freewheels to sort out various combinations. If your bike has 7-speed, I fit a 7-speed freewheel to the BPM, 7-speed cassette to the XF08C, etc.

Am i right to suspect that the controller is intergrated in the battery or should i look for place on the bike for this also?
I am currently out of 36V Lishui HL1260 17A controllers (that go to the cradle of the HL battery) until Feb but have in stock Lishui LSW947 that goes to the seat tube. If you want the BPM kit in January, it will be supplied with seat tube mounted LSW 947 20A controller. After that, we'll go back to HL1260 controller which is of course visually neater.

erian

Dec 15, 2017
Denmark
we have stock of 7-speed and 8-speed cassettes and freewheels to sort out various combinations. If your bike has 7-speed, I fit a 7-speed freewheel to the BPM, 7-speed cassette to the XF08C, etc.

I am currently out of 36V Lishui HL1260 17A controllers (that go to the cradle of the HL battery) until Feb but have in stock Lishui LSW947 that goes to the seat tube. If you want the BPM kit in January, it will be supplied with seat tube mounted LSW 947 20A controller. After that, we'll go back to HL1260 controller which is of course visually neater.
thanks much woosh, I think I ll wait and go for the 28inch XF08C with the HL1260 controller. Untill now it seems to be the most convenient fit. And the 13mAh bat looks it can pretty much cover very conveniently my distance needs.

erian

Dec 15, 2017
Denmark

in the thought of converting both my bikes just for the fun of it, any thoughts/feedback on this Tongsheng TSDZ2 woosh?? I have looked a bit around, havent found much to be honest. It looks good with the torque sensor tho

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
in the thought of converting both my bikes just for the fun of it, any thoughts/feedback on this Tongsheng TSDZ2 woosh?? I have looked a bit around, havent found much to be honest. It looks good with the torque sensor tho
I have got the TSDZ2 without the throttle on one of our test bikes.
Loved it.
It's lightweight and dead easy to fit.
Just one cable to the handlebars for the LCD and one cable to the speed sensor.
The only drawback is the lack of a throttle, you have to work a bit to climb steep hills, that's where the BPM scores.
Tongsheng now make one with throttle, you have to install brake sensors for this version.