which kit

poptop

Pedelecer
Jul 12, 2015
Benjahmin, thanks, so was the crossfire a standard bike initially? and did you fit conversion? What was total cost and how easy to fit?

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Thanks Dave.

Hi Trex, I think we should agree to differ.

In a spirit of fairness, FYI we have never had one of these superb motors overheat and have never had one wear out. We have had a few issues (under 1%) with hall timing (due to our input asking for something a little different to their standard range) but these issues have all been satisfactorily resolved. This is a truly amazing motor at the sharp edge of ebike motor engineering. I suppose that explains the high price.

Kind regards, David

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Bafang has excellent track record. Aikema Electric (Suzhou) have been making motors with two-stage reduction gearboxes since 2003 I believe. They have not been well known and certainly not beaten Bafang on sales. I think you are wrong to go with them. Time will tell.

grldtnr

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
south east Essex
These Aikema motors, are they available to vitae a kit, if not ,writing about them is pointless,the OP was asking about kits ,further confusing him!

By the way OP ,do you need a folder to zip up and down your hill that you call a mountain,a full size bike will likely be lighter,plus you can fit a centre drive motor and he the gears,which provides better climbing

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Aikema make their motors for OEM, I suspect they make them for bmsbattery.com.
The one I like best is this one ($112):

https://bmsbattery.com/ebike-kit/768-q128c-135mm-500w-rear-driving-ebike-hub-motor-ebike-kit.html

I had their Q128H, with freewheel instead of cassette fitting. Lovely motor.
https://bmsbattery.com/ebike-kit/775-q128h-36v800w-rear-driving-ebike-hub-motor-ebike-kit.html

The Aikema 100SX I referred to in previous posts is equivalent to this one:
https://bmsbattery.com/ebike-kit/631-q100h-36v350w-rear-driving-ebike-hub-motor-ebike-kit.html

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

These Aikema motors, are they available to vitae a kit, if not ,writing about them is pointless,the OP was asking about kits ,further confusing him!

By the way OP ,do you need a folder to zip up and down your hill that you call a mountain,a full size bike will likely be lighter,plus you can fit a centre drive motor and he the gears,which provides better climbing
Yes they are. BMSBattery.com Q100, Q100H and Q100C. You can also get them under different designations from Greenbikekit.com and Elifebike.com.

D

Deleted member 4366

Aikema make their motors for OEM, I suspect they make them for bmsbattery.com.
The one I like best is this one ($112):

https://bmsbattery.com/ebike-kit/768-q128c-135mm-500w-rear-driving-ebike-hub-motor-ebike-kit.html

I had their Q128H, with freewheel instead of cassette fitting. Lovely motor.
https://bmsbattery.com/ebike-kit/775-q128h-36v800w-rear-driving-ebike-hub-motor-ebike-kit.html

The Aikema 100SX I referred to in previous posts is equivalent to this one:
https://bmsbattery.com/ebike-kit/631-q100h-36v350w-rear-driving-ebike-hub-motor-ebike-kit.html
When I spoke with Aikema in Shanghai. They said that the Q100H sold by BMSB was not one of theirs, so they must be clones. I've never had anything to complain about from the clone ones.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent

Hi Gerald the OP says "Still looking at secret, wisper, and others but would like bigger battery," in his opening post, hence my response. If he hadn't mentioned Wisper by name I probably would not have offered my advice.

All the best, David

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
When I spoke with Aikema in Shanghai. They said that the Q100H sold by BMSB was not one of theirs, so they must be clones. I've never had anything to complain about from the clone ones.
My point is about increased inherent risks of two-stage reduction versus single stage. Overheating and shortened life expectancy of the ball bearings. It's the same situation with the Xiongda XD motor, two clutches against one. I had it but not rolled it out. You gain something but you always have to pay a price in return.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
what do you see?
I understand where you are coming from Trex, nothing more than I would expect that from a Woosh salesman, I hope you understand where I am coming from too. I can assure you that we pay considerably more for our motors than you have indicated.

As to whether 8fun or AKM make better motors, the proof of the pudding, as always, in the eating. Having sold thousands of both and knowing the reliability of both I would not go back to Bafang unless they improved dramatically.

I really don't want to argue here so I rest my case. If you want to discuss further please PM me.

Kindest regards, David

• Agree
Reactions: trex

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
for the record, it wasn't me who started the spat.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Benjahmin, thanks, so was the crossfire a standard bike initially? and did you fit conversion? What was total cost and how easy to fit?
Yes it was a standard Halfords Crossfire bought for £255. The Ezee kit was one from a previous bike. Front hub with 14Ah rack battery. Kit price was around £800. As I say, not the cheapest but robust.
You can see my thread on the conversion here:
http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/converting-a-carrera-crossfire3.21965/
And this is the kit I used:
http://cyclezee.com/ezee-conversion-kits.html.
Kit is still going well after some 3500 miles. Only problem I've had is a shot bearing which he helped me sort within 24hours.

All in all I feel that a conversion gives you a bike that you understand better and one that you'll be able to service/repair yourself, given a moderate practical skill level. AND there's loads of help to be had on the forum, commercial spats notwithstanding:rolleyes::D
No really they're nice blokes and are very free with info. I blame the Mega Moon :confused:;)

D

Deleted member 4366

My point is about increased inherent risks of two-stage reduction versus single stage. Overheating and shortened life expectancy of the ball bearings. It's the same situation with the Xiongda XD motor, two clutches against one. I had it but not rolled it out. You gain something but you always have to pay a price in return.
That's nonsense. We have practical experience that they're reliable. Even Cwah couldn't break one, running it at 48v and 20 amps.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
That's the thing. cwah did not get 5,000 or 10,000 miles out of his bikes, he killed them well before that.
If you take a bike like the Karoo or the Bermuda with Bafang motors, they'll go well over 5,000 miles. Woosh bought 10 clutch units for Bafang SWXes back in 2011. They still have a couple left. That goes to show how reliable Bafang motors are. I bet you can search the internet but won't find a user with a two-stage reduction gear that has done over 10,000 miles.

Last edited:

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011

Tabs

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 1, 2016
Scotland
wow guys, if you read above posts from an outsiders eyes you can see why I and maybe many others are in total confusion over my original posting.
I value your responses and views but this is where I go into another period of what the f..., I`m lost. someone is making a good profit [and why not if they can?] Someone isn't being given true figures/facts from manufacturer/supplier? BUT I am left as a novice still wondering which is best. I appreciate every decision is a personal one , but all I am asking is from you experienced guys and gals, which bike for the money is better value for my needs as stated? I could pay £1500 or £750.00 but will I regret if I buy wrong one?
I could advise which engine in a T4 camper, purely from experience, best mpg, best reliability, etc from years of trying them all.
I just need similar advice on a folding electric bike. Without spending 2k or so.
Thanks.
Pete.
Probably the 1.9td for easy maintenance or the 2.5tdi for performance?