which kit

fishingpaul

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2007
A kit for your carrera bike,maybe the oxydrive cst kit,on offer at £600 at the moment,14ah battery and i believe the bafang cst motor is one of the best climbers.

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

D

Deleted member 4366

I was about to, in February, when this video was posted on ES about the 100SX:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=76346

That got me start digging into the clutch.
I thought I posted something about a spring that came off the clutch last year.
The Q100, like the Xiongda is exceptionally free-running because the clutch is outside of the gears, so only the hub rotates. When a Bafang free-wheels, the gears go round because the clutch is between the gears and the motor.

That Video isn't at all representative. Firstly, you don't know if he installed it correctly. Secondly, you get tight seals with any new motor. Thirdly, the Q100 is very light, so it doesn't have as much momentum as a Bafang.

I hope your whole decision wasn't based on a third party video. There's nothing wrong with Q100s. They have a lot of advantages over a Bafang. If you tried one for any length of time instead of trying to theorise it, you'd soon realise those advantages.

• Agree
Reactions: Wisper Bikes

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
I hope your whole decision wasn't based on a third party video. .
no, it's not entirely based on that video.
I have been looking for ways of increasing torque without having to carry the weight of the BPM. The Xiongda XD was promising but Xiongda could only make it work with the flimsy KT controller then. I gave up on the XD after a few months and looked into the 100SX. The latter weighs haIf the BPM and costs a third less. I was tempted. I got samples to test.
My bigger worry was the screw lid with the worm screw on the side of the 100SX. The woosh Sirocco in 2011 had that lid. You can ask Andy how much he hated it. After abandoning the 100SX, I tested the bigger Q128H which doesn't have that lid but requires 48V to get the Watts out. I pushed the Q128H until it started to whine and squeal. So I gave up on the Q128H. The Panasonic hub motor has two-stage reduction too but nobody bothers about it any more.

D

Deleted member 4366

Nothing wrong with KT controllers. I have them on all my bikes and wouldn't use anything else. Why do you say flimsy?

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
oh they work, I have them as well on prototypes, but not on production runs because they are not as well built as Lishui controllers. Lishui controllers are housed in larger casings, the crimp connectors, bolts, nuts and rubber gasket are also of better quality. KT pack a lot of features into their controllers but exposing the internal registers to users to tweak is asking for trouble.

6-FET controllers:

Lishui casing: 96mm×66mm×33mm
Small KT casing: 78.5mm x 48.5mm x 26mm
Larger KT casing: 87.5mm x 52mm x 31mm

Lishui charge about $7-$10 premium for their controllers. Lishui are the largest manufacturer of e-bike controllers.

Last edited:

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Lishui charge about $7-$10 premium for their controllers. Lishui are the largest manufacturer of e-bike controllers.
I wish I could buy one...

After the announcement of the BlueTooth controller months and months ago has anybody ever seen one in the flesh?

Tonight I will be opening my first Bafang to see why it is making lots of noise on a friends bike. I wish I could open my Mxus to grease a little but the screw on side plate is stuck and even d8veh's method didn't work to get it unstuck including using a heat gun... Next time I buy a hub motor easy servicing will be high on the list of required qualities.

• Agree
Reactions: trex

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
After the announcement of the BlueTooth controller months and months ago has anybody ever seen one in the flesh?
I am still waiting for mine.

poptop

Pedelecer
Jul 12, 2015
A kit for your carrera bike,maybe the oxydrive cst kit,on offer at £600 at the moment,14ah battery and i believe the bafang cst motor is one of the best climbers.
. How easy to fit this [ for a novice?] Di I need anything else?
thanks.
Untill I saw this it was down to a secret or kuo+ £765.00 or £995.00.
so 3 options, as Hatti said big bear may be too powerful for my 75k and 5ft5" height.
3 options...which is best? if fitting kit is easy would go for that otherwise 1 of the others.
Pete.

fildok

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 6, 2011
Hi poptop, I'm also in the market for a new bike (folder). We are both the same height / weight. The biggest problem is getting to try all these bikes out which is nigh on impossible and at 65 not enough time!
So, we have to rely on what others have to say though I must say it doesn't help much when rival manufacturers get into a squabble about the merits of their particular offspring. Personally, I would imagine both are value for their respective prices.
Having looked for so long I feel I know every folder manufacturer personally! But somewhere along the line I'm going to have to trust to fate.
I want a folder to fit in the back of the car so I can nip over to the Peak District (which is on my doorstep ) and do a bit of trailing, hills etc.
Kits do look interesting but I don't have a donor bike.
Enough for no

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
I wish I could open my Mxus to grease a little but the screw on side plate is stuck
A mole grip wrench worked for me, there was just enough of a lip to lock it on.
The side plate was very tight and I had to keep the pressure up for a several seconds until it moved, I used a straight jaw one but a concave face one may be even better.
The jaws did mark the hub slightly but not very noticeable and no damage.

Dave.

poptop

Pedelecer
Jul 12, 2015
good to hear I am not alone[Fildoc]. It is a nightmare and I`m 2 years into it now. I am 64 so very similar. I want best looking [ in my opinion]. a2b or secret [style] , biggest battery I can get in one. [gale] I believe. Folding as its best option for me. A bag like the secret would be good as I can then store it/them for transit on back of camper van. And of course not over 1k, but cheaper the better as no income for another 12 months until I get my wonderful state pension [£550.00 pm].
A tall order. it seems, and as you say like you I live in the sticks as far as electric bike dealers go.
So its down to thoughts from these guys who will eventually, hopefully steer me in a sort of right direction.
The new secret with bigger battery, mudguards, lights and bag keeps coming to the front.
Dave, whats your best price for 1 maybe 2 of these? I was given a price by your company for ex demo units today. But no guarantee and smaller battery.
Frustrated man with "some" limited cash ready to spend....Pete.

Andy88

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2016
Ayrshire
Interesting read, as many of you already know im in the market for a bike so am following these threads with interest from a consumer point of you however I'm intensely interested in the technical aspect too.

Woosh has identified that there is a price point that the average consumer is prepared to pay and they are right, to my knowledge they also adopt direct sales cutting out commissions to dealers putting it back in the pocket of the consumer.

Wisper are well respected but there is nearly a 50% difference between their se and torque range, I recognize advances in technology but I could buy 3 se's for the price of 2 torques.

Depending on the purpose of the bike doing a 3 mile run to Tesco am I really going to be able to justify the additional spend? In short no but that's just me.

Oxygen brand is smart, they limit their models and look quality and would have been my choice but I have been told from December their prices are jumping by 15%

Hub vs Crank, for me hub front drive, if the motor fries whip the wheel out and buy another one for under 100 quid.

Disc brakes are better than V brakes but I would use quality V brakes simply because replacing a wheel or repairing a puncture is easier. Correct me if I am wrong.

Tip for prospective purchasers
Look the brands up on FB
check to see if they have an active facebook page, then see how current it is, finally have they disabled the review section? Some have some haven't, woosh fb is current, active with real reviews.

All of the brands that I have mentioned here have good feedback some others havent.

Im still digging and enjoying every minute, when I finally make my purchase and it will be between 900 - 1200 gbp I will post my review here.

sent via huawei P9

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
I find disk brakes easier for wheel change. It just drops out and slots back in again. No need to free the v brakes up to let the tires through.
Just never touch the brake lever when the wheel is out.

Reactions: Andy88

Andy88

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2016
Ayrshire
I find disk brakes easier for wheel change. It just drops out and slots back in again. No need to free the v brakes up to let the tires through.
Just never touch the brake lever when the wheel is out.
Thanks, point taken, happy about that.
Do you confer front vs rear hub ?

sent via huawei P9

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Thanks, point taken, happy about that.
Do you confer front vs rear hub ?

sent via huawei P9
I have crank drive and 8 spd rear hub so the third option. For simplicity front hub rear gear. Is good as long as you never want to hot rod the motor.

Reactions: Andy88

Andy88

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2016
Ayrshire
I have crank drive and 8 spd rear hub so the third option. For simplicity front hub rear gear. Is good as long as you never want to hot rod the motor.
Thanks again. Wisper and others use rear, woosh front. Im leaning towards woosh and upgrade tyres, pedals, brakes.

sent via huawei P9

Andy88

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2016
Ayrshire
Thanks again. Wisper and others use rear, woosh front. Im leaning towards woosh and upgrade tyres, pedals, brakes.

sent via huawei P9
No hot rodding lol :) just small trips 3 to 5 miles on tarmac roads to the supermarket and coffee shops.

sent via huawei P9