"Which" magazine best buys

mikeos

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 12, 2020
I believe that "Which" magazine recently tested E-bikes. Does anybody know what their recommendations were?

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
Their top picks were,

The Bosch Performance Line Cruise with an intuvia display and 500Wh battery best, and the Active line plus with purion display and 400Wh battery next best.

They also liked Shimano steps and Yamaha PW SE.

However they also recommended the Suntour rear hub motor in the "Halfords popular Carrera electric bikes", which many members of pedelec have found problematic.

The truth is out there!!!

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Never trust what you read in review mags or the interweb.

mikeos

Jun 12, 2020
Their top picks were,

The Bosch Performance Line Cruise with an intuvia display and 500Wh battery best, and the Active line plus with the same display and 400Wh battery next best.

They also liked Shimano steps and Yamaha PW SE.

However they also recommended the Suntour rear hub motor in the "Halfords popular Carrera electric bikes", which many members of pedelec have found problematic.

The truth is out there!!!
Great, for the quick reply, thanks (from a soon to be newbie and elderly user).

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
Many years ago I would only buy what Which found to be the best, they were not.

Like many things you have to read between the lines.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc and Nealh

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Reactions: flecc

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
of course, but useful as an unbiased guide.
They're not unbiased. If they were, they might have asked on this forum which bikes they should review, and they would have had a totally different list.

All bikes tested with a 70kg rider doesn't sound very unbiased to me. Look at the guy in the photo, and surprise surprise, all their recommended bikes are well suited to that type of guy in his lycra.

I bet they didn't test any to see how good they were for shopping or the dash to work in the rain through heavy traffic, nor did they mention the best one for 100kg guys that have never pedalled in 40 years or guys with bad knees/war wounds.

Did they cover maintenance issues and running costs, because they seem to have chosen some of the worst from that point of view.

If you want some genuine real advice, tell us about your size, weight, fitness and what you're hoping to use the bike for.

Last edited:

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Which used to be a really helpful magazine. Generally quality of consumer products has gone up (except for longevity) and so the help avoiding the bad ones is not so important. Their tests of the things they ought to know about aren't as deep as they should be (otherwise our Indecit gas oven would never have been a best buy), and their tests of other things (bicycles, hifi, ...) are generally very sketchy.

I don't think the tests are intentionally biased, just not very good.

mikeos

Jun 12, 2020
Great, for the quick reply, thanks (from a soon to be newbie and elderly user).
the The Bosch Performance Line Cruise appears to be just a motor rather than a bike, unless I'm missing someting. Did "Which" not review actual ebikes?

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
We've tested 15 of the most common electric bike motor, battery and display combinations. Each one is found in a range of different e-bikes, so you can use these results to narrow down your search to the e-bikes that will power you up hills, deliver a smooth and consistent ride and be easy to use.

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
I was reading on Bike Radar recently Halfords have upgraded (whatever that means) their e-bike range.
Talking of Which Magazine it was always said they buy all the stuff they test to show no bias, not sure if that still holds now.

GSV3MiaC

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2020
They recently reviewed folding electric bikes, and the brompton h2l came top, with the tern vectron s10 second. Only the brompton made best buy status. Dont think they have done any other bike reviews in living memory .. not their expertise?

The most recent review was just a motor test, as discussed above. No mention of any actual bike used for most motors.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
the The Bosch Performance Line Cruise appears to be just a motor rather than a bike, unless I'm missing someting. Did "Which" not review actual ebikes?
"Which" don't do any e-bike tests, as with many other product groups they repeat the testing others do. They simply don't have the expertise to test the whole vast range of consumer products.

There's a European organisation, I forget its name now, that tests "green" products and I noticed that one of Which's previous pedelec tests was an exact copy of theirs, obviously reproduced by arrangement. That European body is very biased, mainly including European and particularly German and Dutch pedelecs, not many oriental ones and the awards all going the European way. Some of their tests aren't very testing anyway, for example testing hill climbing on 6% which I regard as a gentle slope and would never think of as a testing hill.

Personally I would never be guided by any "Which" product test.

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
If mikeos wants to access the actual magazine for no cost, this can usually be done through your local library. Even with libraries closed it might be possible to do this remotely.

mikeos

Jun 12, 2020
If mikeos wants to access the actual magazine for no cost, this can usually be done through your local library. Even with libraries closed it might be possible to do this remotely.
Yes I had that in mind. I have in the past accessed "Which" at Guildford library. However this can only be done in person, by registered card holders. Remote access over the internet is not possible, unfortunately.

• Agree
Reactions: sjpt

ElectricJoe

Jun 13, 2020
Which used to be a really helpful magazine. Generally quality of consumer products has gone up (except for longevity) and so the help avoiding the bad ones is not so important. Their tests of the things they ought to know about aren't as deep as they should be (otherwise our Indecit gas oven would never have been a best buy), and their tests of other things (bicycles, hifi, ...) are generally very sketchy.

I don't think the tests are intentionally biased, just not very good.
My experience also, the more I know about a thing Which reviews, the less I'm impressed by it.

• Agree
Reactions: sjpt

MRMAC9

Pedelecer
May 24, 2015
They're not unbiased. If they were, they might have asked on this forum which bikes they should review, and they would have had a totally different list.

All bikes tested with a 70kg rider doesn't sound very unbiased to me. Look at the guy in the photo, and surprise surprise, all their recommended bikes are well suited to that type of guy in his lycra.

I bet they didn't test any to see how good they were for shopping or the dash to work in the rain through heavy traffic, nor did they mention the best one for 100kg guys that have never pedalled in 40 years or guys with bad knees/war wounds.

Did they cover maintenance issues and running costs, because they seem to have chosen some of the worst from that point of view.

If you want some genuine real advice, tell us about your size, weight, fitness and what you're hoping to use the bike for.
I read a report from a guy named Neil who recently bought an electric Brompton. He claimed that his front wheel buckled after only 3 rides. He said that the weight of the battery and the motor contributed to this. I sent a message to Neil concerning his weight which he said was around 100kg. This has put me off getting an eBrompton as I am around that weight, too. I wonder if the Tern Vektron range would be more suitable?