Which one to choose

timidtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 19, 2009
Cheshire
GambiaGOES.blogspot.com
It's a British thing. I find UK males in particular need a reason to take advantage of the assistance, and don't like to admit to needing or enjoying the advantages the electric motor provides. I think it's a protestant work ethic thing, combined with a machismo attitude.

Women and Europeans seem to spot the benefits straight away and don't suffer the guilt of electric assistance.
I have to say that when we visit the local pubs on a sunny day (Cheshire is blessed with quite a few*, though my Calvanist ancestors would have said 'cursed' - erm, sorry, where was I? Oh, yes, Pubs! It's the men who show most interest! We must have offered a free ride round the car park a dozen times or more and it's always the men, generally young - midlife - who accept and come back with a big grin on their faces.
Tom.

*Pubs - there are fewer rainy days ...

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
Tom's right about the grin. The few people who've tried mine ALL come back from their short ride grinning like the proverbial.

As for exercise: well, I've had my Wisper for 4 months now, and have dropped 5kg. It all depends how you ride it - I try and use the gears more, plus 'middle' power. Some (for all sorts of reasons) tend just to use high power.

A

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
Maybe men need to be legless! (Couldn't resist Allen!).

It's certainly true that all are grins after their demo!

Off to get a crate of beer.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Tom's right about the grin. The few people who've tried mine ALL come back from their short ride grinning like the proverbial.
True, also all the many local teenagers who've tried my e-bikes over the years have loved them, but that's never translated into getting one. Those who do opt for two wheels buy a moped the moment they hit 16, the remainder wait for 17 and a car.

Same with the adults, liking and trying never translates into buying one.

The biggest stumbling block is price, they see ordinary bikes advertised as little as £100 and think an e-bike will be £200, or maybe £300 for a top quality one. £1000 plus kills the interest and they find up to £500 for a battery just shocking.

martin7010

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 11, 2010
Thats useful to know that power and exercise aren't mutually exclusive. I'm no fitness fanatic but cycling is my way of doing myself a bit of good and if I can work that into my new commute all the better.:)

Grumpyoldgit

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 6, 2010
Devon
Powerpedals are in your area, might be worth a look, if Torquayite's post is anything to go by.