Which one??

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I doubt I'd be doing much more than 15mph most of the time :)
That puts a more encouraging complexion on the battery question.

In give and take conditions, I can get 40-odd miles from a 400wh Bosch battery, and you will have a useful extra 100wh.

You already have some cycling fitness, so you will probably find tour setting is plenty.

One of the strengths of the Bosch system is its smoothness.

Thus you may be able to bowl along dongle free a bit quicker than 15mph on the easier bits, with the motor gently returning to help as your speed drops below 15mph.

With that in mind, my suggestion would be to buy the Cube and use it dongle free for a few journeys.

That will give you an idea of average battery use per journey.

If you find you've got quite a bit in hand when you get home, you will know you have the capacity to make use of a dongle - if you still want to go a bit quicker.

git-r

Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2015
- great advice - thanks :)

I'll try as you say and see how I go. I don't mind putting a bit of effort in but not sure I'll like pulling the extra weight of the ebike over 15mph. I probably average 15mph if traffic OK on the road bike. To equal this on an ebike would be much more effort, which would defeat the point of me getting one lol.

Having tried the Kalkhoff bikes it was unbelievably easy to pedal them fast, it really made my mind up to get one! :)

40 miles is a pretty good distance. The good thing about the bosch battery (I think) is how quick it is to charge. There's a ride I'd like to do with my g'friend but it's nearly 80 miles and is horribly hilly. Was thinking she could take the ebike and with a couple of longish stops to recharge it might be doable?

I'll definitely try using it without the dongle, knowing me though, probably not for long :)

That puts a more encouraging complexion on the battery question.

In give and take conditions, I can get 40-odd miles from a 400wh Bosch battery, and you will have a useful extra 100wh.

You already have some cycling fitness, so you will probably find tour setting is plenty.

One of the strengths of the Bosch system is its smoothness.

Thus you may be able to bowl along dongle free a bit quicker than 15mph on the easier bits, with the motor gently returning to help as your speed drops below 15mph.

With that in mind, my suggestion would be to buy the Cube and use it dongle free for a few journeys.

That will give you an idea of average battery use per journey.

If you find you've got quite a bit in hand when you get home, you will know you have the capacity to make use of a dongle - if you still want to go a bit quicker.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
mine takes 3hrs 20 mins to charge all the way 500w prob a bit longer say 4hrs.

80 miles looking at 2 batts.

if my bike never had a dongle id throw it in the canal :)

git-r

Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2015
ahh maybe not then.. nevermind.. I'd read that they charge to about 80% in under 2 hours... Would be good to have another battery though... and the cogs start turning.. lol!

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
does it say what size sprocket is on the front of the cube looks like 14?

git-r

Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2015
am I right in thinking it has a 15?

CRANKSET
FSA CK-745, 15T

CASSETTE
Shimano CS-HG300, 12-36

CHAIN
KMC X9

RIMS
CUBE ZX24, Disc, 32H

FRONT HUB
Shimano HB-TX505, QR

REAR HUB
Shimano FH-TX505, QR

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
yeah looks like 15t you might want to up that to a bigger sprocket if can ride a road bike for miles.

because the dongle lifts the 15mph limit you can use eco or tour and still have assistance why different ppl get more or less range from the battery depending how fit you are.

Reactions: git-r

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
A Bosch executive said a year or two ago they were moving towards faster recharge times rather then ever bigger batteries.

It's a line they push with their power tools.

My Bosch batteries - previous shape - charge in a few hours, which is a bit quicker than some of the Chinese bikes/kits.

As regards the 80 mile ride, the girlfriend might get 50 to 60 miles from 500wh.

Thus you only need 20 or so miles' worth of charging, which you could get in a couple of hours.

All of which you won't really know until you try.

Same applies to the gearing, but bear in mind a 29er wheel with a podgy mountain bike tyre gives a large circumference, which aids speed, if not climbing.

If the gearing really is too low, it's cheap and easy to put a bigger front ring on the front.

Reactions: git-r and soundwave

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

git-r

Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2015
Rob - thanks for that :) yeah won't be making any changes unless necessary and interesting point you raised about Bosch working on recharge times. Let's face it not many people are going to do 40+ miles without a break!
If the battery could recharge in an hour that'd be ideal ... Think we have a while to wait for that though!

git-r

Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2015
Spoke to my local bike shop and they'll do it for £1500 cash/£1700 cycle to work and can have one probably by Thursday :)

He doesn't have any in stock for me to try but does have other cube bikes with a similar frame so I could try those first.

He's going to get back to me with confirmation of lead time and availability of a demo bike...

exciting lol! :)

Reactions: falmouthtony

git-r

Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2015
My search is over :) :)

Should have it in a week!

Will come with mudguards, luggage rack, different road tyres and Badassebike tuning box (will fit this myself - if necessary ;) ).

Really happy with the deal at £1690 inclusive of the above bits and delivery... Fingers crossed the bike will hold up to it's tasks - If I can keep the interest up the miles will increase very quickly.

Dealt with Rich at Ebike-Power. He seemed very knowledgeable and happy to take all my dumb questions, really helpful to suggest fitting the different tyres too.

Will hammer the road bike this week and it's going to feel like bliss next week :)

Reactions: falmouthtony

git-r

Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2015
- thanks soundwave but it's coming with the dongle - they have it in stock :)

I would have to fit it though.

Apparently the gearing is fine for higher speed too.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
well you will soon find out if 15t is enough ;)

git-r

Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2015
great vid review of a derestricted bosch performance line cx.. and it's on a cube hybrid pro too :)

It's in German but has English translation... it's bloomin fast - he says it can do 43 km/h before the gearing runs out and that the motor would go faster with different gearing. Amazed at how fast he gets upto on those lanes!

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i can get to 33mph with my dongle but it nukes the battery at those speeds.

i think if i put a 22t sprocket on the front and a 3.2 dongle could get it near 50mph :)

git-r

Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2015
i can get to 33mph with my dongle but it nukes the battery at those speeds.

i think if i put a 22t sprocket on the front and a 3.2 dongle could get it near 50mph :)

That's too fast for me... on a push bike ;)

I think you'd need a lot more power to get to 50..

consistently 18-20 is all I'd ever manage on a push bike.

Reactions: soundwave