Which step through for lady cyclist

Blaster Bates

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 23, 2020
Good evening
I have recently (3 months) purchased an ebike and now want to buy another for my wife and her upcoming birthday, budget at this stage is £1000 and if things go well we may upgrade in a while. My wife has mobility issues which will not be changing in the future, she can ride a bike but distance and at the moment stamina are issues.

I have done a little research and fully realise that the budget will place limitations on what I can purchase, but having said that I still think I can get something suitable.
Range would need to be 25 mile plus a bit in reserve so as not to be caught out. Comfort is a major requirement, my wife is 5'7'' and 135lb
Currently in the running are :-

Pendleton somersby from Halfords £999
Petrigo Hybrid from greenhybridbikes £999
Mixte with battery upgrade from Juicy £999
Sahara with battery upgrade from Cyclotricity £799

I am of course open to any suggestions that I have not yet considered but also looking to see if anyone owns one of the above and their experience with it.

Thanks in advance

Blaster.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Definitely look at Woosh. Possibly https://wooshbikes.co.uk/?santana3, but a little more at £1100

The Somersby has quite a small battery capacity; probably pressed to do 25 miles if at all hilly or if heavy assist is used. (I thought it might use the unreliable Suntour electrics that many cheaper Halford's bikes do, but it is Bafang so should be good.)

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
For a really cheap runner Kudos Safari (£695) with nexus hub gears ?

Bikes4two

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2020
Havant
I recently acquired a second hand Pendleton Somerby eBike for my wife - this is the first ebike in our household and although I've been (seriously) cycling for many years, this was my first experience of an ebike, so please temper my comments accordingly.

Firstlly, I have ridden the bike for a couple of hundred miles - the first thing I did was to swap out the controller and display (I wrote about this here) to give a better ride experience. Now that I've done that, I find the bike comfortable to ride and enjoyable to boot.

Battery/Range - At 90Kg I'm not the lightest rider. In hilly terrain and on low assist levels 25 miles is a reasonable range to expect. On flatter ground maybe up to 40 miles.

Would I recommend this bike? I can't really comment either way as I've nothing to compare it with. What I can say is that as a basic bike it rides well enough and more importanly, my wife likes it for its looks (retro Dutch?).

Lucylettuce

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 9, 2020
I started looking a few months ago and now on wait list for woosh santana 3. I looked at some of the bikes you mentioned. The Pendleton has a small battery,and until a few months ago was retailing around £750,and was in the sale last summer for £550. Components are basic for the price. I thought it was overpriced. Cyclotricity seems good for the money,but there have been several posts mentioning that build quality isn't that good. I have emailed them several times and had no response Juicy bikes seem to get a good press,and they have been very helpful on the phone. Kudos don't seem to respond to any emails either. I was put off the safari because of the weight,think it was around 29 kgs,and lack of support.
My plan was to try bikes when local shops opened,but that has been impossible as no stock will be available to try until October. I subsequently went online ,but wanted a retailer that offered decent after sales service. That left me with wisper and woosh,but wisper 705 was slightly too big for me. The enforced delay in purchasing has not been a bad thing as I've decided against certain bikes . In an ideal world I'd have waited to try bikes and bought locally. Good luck

Reactions: Bikes4two and sjpt