White Van Man Cometh...

MartinJ

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 15, 2012
Hi All
A quick introduction: I am a 53 Year old white van driver who has spent too many years eating pies, smoking fags and growing fat! My commute is 10 miles each way which I have been doing along the A6 between Buxton and Newtown sometimes at 70mph, often at 10 or less during the rush times.
I have noticed electric bikes at a shop in town and took the plunge a few weeks ago.
Not fancying the A6 which is a busy road with many large haulage lorries I have started riding to work along a back route (A5004 “Long Hill”) over a hill which looks over the Goyt Valley – stunningly beautiful but very high, rising to 430M according to Google, 1 mile out from Buxton, then falling to 150M when it joins the A6 at Whalley Bridge, after a fast dual carriageway and when I feel happier in traffic moving at 30MPH. This is 7 miles after the highest point, 8 miles into my journey which is then relatively flat for the next 2 miles.
The first time I attempted this was on the home leg: 2 miles flat, 7 miles continuously climbing nearly 300M then 1 mile of downhill, dropping 130M to Buxton at 300M. I took the bike to work in the back of the van.
I couldn’t believe I had done this! 13 ½ Stone, no real exercise for many, many years and a wheezing smoker. I do a little walking but never push myself to this extent. 10 miles, 50 mins, 918 ft climb and some very wobbly legs! Aches and pains that night, especially around my groin, but determined to do the return trip the next day. My van was still at work to force myself!
The journey in the morning was a real joy! I did ache from the day before true and was hesitant, actually worried about damaging my body, but a fully charged battery took me up the first mile climb of 130M easily in medium assist and once at the top I had a wonderful 7 miles of mostly coasting and time to reflect on the early morning freshness of the world outside the cab.
Hitting the flat section along the A6 was a bit of a downer though overtaking at congestion queues was fun. I completed this time in 35 mins, averaging just over 17MPH.
I’ve been doing this twice a week for the last two weeks and I am beginning to look forward to it. To be fair my legs still ache after the trip home but I see this as a very gradual return to fitness. Aching has got to be a good sign! I’m hoping to increase to 3 times a week through the winter, determined not to let the weather spoil my momentum.
The last time I regularly rode bikes was in my teens though I’ve always had a bike, but make very little use of my Raleigh mountain bike, purchased 2nd hand 5 years ago in a vain attempt to get fit and used maybe a dozen times. Shameful! But I couldn’t possibly use this to get over Long Hill…
Anyhoo, really pleased that I took the plunge and looking forward to weighing myself after a month of twice weekly commutes… Thanks for listening and letting me declare my “born again cyclist status”.
Martin

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
A warm welcome to the forum Martin, I hope you have many years of e-biking enjoyment to come.

geostorm

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 7, 2009
: White Van Man Cometh..

A warm welcome to the forum Martin, I hope you have many years of e-biking enjoyment to come.
Hi Martin , welcome aboard dont worry your only a sibling and lightweight on here, enjoy.

Eaglerider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 25, 2011
East Sussex
Indeed, the benefits of ebikes can be truly miraculous. I'm so chuffed I was 'saved' by discovering ebikes a year ago. Keep up the good work, lavish treasures await you!

MartinJ

Nov 15, 2012
Proud to admit I have now lost a whole stone! I have been waiting 2 months to post this and almost did before xmas but just slipped up a little :) Dead happy to be a regular twice a week e-bike commuter.

Eaglerider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 25, 2011
East Sussex
Proud to admit I have now lost a whole stone! I have been waiting 2 months to post this and almost did before xmas but just slipped up a little :) Dead happy to be a regular twice a week e-bike commuter.
Well done Martin, you have made excellent progress to lose a stone so quickly. It's a miracle!:rolleyes:

stuvy

Jan 2, 2013
Eating healthy and sensibly as well as cycling will help you out in years to come mate.

What model bike did you get? Next time im up your way il take a detour as the A6 can be a right sod, i know as it passes through the next village i grew up in(clapham, bedfordshire)

MartinJ

Nov 15, 2012
Eating healthy and sensibly as well as cycling will help you out in years to come mate.

What model bike did you get? Next time im up your way il take a detour as the A6 can be a right sod, i know as it passes through the next village i grew up in(clapham, bedfordshire)
A Juicy Sport with 10a battery and curved handlebars, rather than straight so I can sit up a bit straighter as my lower back is a little iffy. I did shop around before deciding visiting the Edinburgh cycle shop in Sheffield to see their range including Wispers and a Storck and I had a go on a Giant at Carsington water. I went back to Juicy in Buxton to buy the first one I saw but it was reassuring to try the other makes which didn't offer anything I needed. The Giant seemed weaker and heavier. I think the Storck bike must have had a low battery as it really struggled with my weight up only a slight hill at the back of the shop. Wisper didnt offer anything over the Juicy which was a heck of a saving. All the reviews I read about Juicy were great too. But I am pleased I took the time out to try others.
I recommend you take that detour, but make sure it isnt snowing. I'm snowed-off today!

MartinJ

Nov 15, 2012
Well done Martin, you have made excellent progress to lose a stone so quickly. It's a miracle!:rolleyes:
It has been easy I have to say and the quality of my journey is wonderful, clearing my head both before and after work. Also my driving has improved I think. I am much more aware of cyclists now having joined in and give more space and respect. I even got a wave the other day making space for a cycle and driving around a large puddle that would have swamped the rider. I still text, eat pies, change gear all at the same time as shouting at women drivers, determined to keep the cliché intact.

Hayesr

Just Joined
Jan 14, 2013
Buxton
The ride up Long Hill Buxton used to be one I dreaded but after also the e-bike community with a BH Neo Jumper also now enjoy this glorious route. You can also cut off onto the Penine Way and make the journey even more enjoyable, although you may want a full suspension bike for this.

Good for you on the weight loss I also hope that my e-bike will make me get out more often. I was out in the snow today and it handled things far better than my BMW.

Maybe see you on the 5004 one-day,will be sure to wave.

Enjoy

stuvy

Jan 2, 2013
That juicy is a nice looking bike i like the lines on the frame, very pleasing to the eye

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
Stuvy, you have great taste! And could take advantage of our 10% discount to pedelec members during January by using the "Pedelecs" coupon code at our website.

Martin it's wonderful to hear your news and thanks for sharing.