Who is Liable to Exceeding 15.5 mph on an E Bike

Prefect

Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2020
Who is liable for Exceeding (electrically assisted) 15.5 mph on an e Bike?
Bosche / Shimano, etc...?
Bicycle manufacturer ?
Bicycle Shop / Online vendor?
Customer ?
Owner ?
Rider ?

Amoto65

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 2, 2017
Cheshire
Rider. The same as if you were driving a car with a bald tyre for example, the person who is driving is responsible and that person may not be the owner, so as the bike is classed as illegal the person riding would be responsible as they would have no insurance/mot etc.

Reactions: Andy-Mat and Woosh

RobN

Pedelecer
May 15, 2020
I am new to all this but surely its the rider?
You are allowed more than the standard 15mph 250w limit off road etc, so kit manufacturers/sellers etc, selling kits that can do this can sell the motors rated at more than 250 w on the assumption that the buyer knows the law and will stick to it?
Only my thoughts on it.
Regards
Rob.

Gaz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2016
Eastbourne
I'd say the person in control of it, and riding it where they are, or are not, legally entitled to.

But that's a very simplistic view.

Gaz

Reactions: Woosh

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
rider, owner one of the biggest haibike dealers sells and fits dongles to bosch bikes ect so you know what you are doing same as speeding in a car.

Prefect

Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2020
If it's the Rider (Which I agree) / Owner, then how can the motor manufacturer shut the motor down, with its software, if the bike exceeds 15.5 mph ??????
The Rider / Owner could say: off road use, let me loose!
I am lost...

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The law is quite clear, it's the rider only.

There is no law against selling any vehicle illegal on the roads, the liability is always with users.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I am lost...
Not so, caveat emptor (let the buyer beware). It's the buyers responsibility to obtain what they want.

A manufacturer or supplier only have any liability if they make a false claim.

In another example pavement mobility vehicles have designed in speed limits, 4mph maximum for pavement use and 8mph maximum for road use.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
bosch motors will need a dongle to remove the 15mph speed limit where as a kit can remove the speed limit and also up the amps for more top speed.

most kit displays can be unlocked with a simple code like 1234. and be classed as a off road switch.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Almost all off-road use is also illegal with the possibility of >15.5mph assist.

Reactions: JohnCade

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
you can only use them on private land with permission.

Prefect

Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2020
Not so, caveat emptor (let the buyer beware). It's the buyers responsibility to obtain what they want.

A manufacturer or supplier only have any liability if they make a false claim.

In another example pavement mobility vehicles have designed in speed limits, 4mph maximum for pavement use and 8mph maximum for road use.
So what happens if the owner of the mobility scooter frigs the mobiliy scooter to do 8 mph anywhere. Who chooses it does what, when? It must be the rider???

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

that can go 91mph :p ill be rolling round tesco on one of those bad boys no speed limit last time i looked pmsl

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
So what happens if the owner of the mobility scooter frigs the mobiliy scooter to do 8 mph anywhere. Who chooses it does what, when? It must be the rider???
Yes of course, the offence is of exceeding the maximum permitted speed if caught doing it, meaning a fine and the magistrates could order the confiscation and destruction of the vehicle, though that is rare.

• Agree
Reactions: Fat Rat

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
If it's the Rider (Which I agree) / Owner, then how can the motor manufacturer shut the motor down, with its software, if the bike exceeds 15.5 mph ??????
I am lost...
If they didnt the bike would not be a pedelec any more it would be a low powered moped
to stay a bicycle it has to have its assistance limited to the 15.5mph which you can of course pedal above under your own power .
As a rider thou you do have the option to buy a moped and tax , insure and have a license to run it so you have that option
If not i really dont get where your coming from with this post .
Have a good evening

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I don't think you have to worry about ebike over the 15.5mph limit as the accuracy may be out , a leeway of 10% + 2mph is often used by law enforcement/mobile speed cameras though isn't universal across the country.

Tarka

Pedelecer
Jan 29, 2019
Who is liable for Exceeding (electrically assisted) 15.5 mph on an e Bike?
No one, as it is perfectly legal to exceed that as long as its leg power doing the work.

Nobody is going to be targeted by a radar device, however, if you are involved in an accident etc. expect a close examination of the cycle and if it is found to be illegal, be open to charges for being in control of an unlicenced, untaxed and un-insured vehicle.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015