Who wants a certified e-bike helmet?

D

Deleted member 4366

Those ones in the photos look really nice. I hope they're not too expensive.

D

Deleted member 4366

You will be disappointed then! I like the idea of a magnetic wind sheild if it works, but not with a three figure price tag.
I'll stick to my Chinese one with a magnetic visor then, which I use on my road bike.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Adult-Mens-Womens-MTB-Bike-Bicycle-Road-Cycling-Safety-Helmet-with-Visor/302382371887?hash=item466764d42f:g:hIwAAOSwLdBaSZmI

On my electric bike, I use this one, which is a Lidli snowboard helmet with a flip up visor that I bought from Ebay (Chinese seller). The fixing band has press studs, so I glued the corresponding ones onto the helmet with JB Weld epoxy.

20171224_000610.jpg

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorcycle-Helmets-3-4-Face-3-Snap-Flip-Up-Visor-Shield-with-Lens-Colored/292314128232?hash=item440f479f68:g:FnEAAOSwdJ9aJ0Lf

The reason I need a visor is because I wear glasses, which means that I can't wear goggles or cycling glasses to keep the cold wind and dust out of my eyes.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
These are designed to a Dutch only NTA standard at present. Hopefully the EU will adopt it, but it's doubtful we will in the UK, leaving us stuck with only motorcycle helmets legal on registered S class bikes.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
A helmet needs to do different things for different people. For me I like a peak fitted to the front for help with riding into low winter sun because as a spectacle wearer wrap around cycling sunglasses don't work so i have issues with flying insects getting around me glasses, however a visor does appeal but I suppose i would lose the peak...
I am always on the lookout for more suitable helmet but pictures and descriptions in online sales pages can be different to the item received.

• Agree
Reactions: LeighPing
D

Deleted member 4366

A helmet needs to do different things for different people. For me I like a peak fitted to the front for help with riding into low winter sun because as a spectacle wearer wrap around cycling sunglasses don't work so i have issues with flying insects getting around me glasses, however a visor does appeal but I suppose i would lose the peak...
I am always on the lookout for more suitable helmet but pictures and descriptions in online sales pages can be different to the item received.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RockBros-Cycling-MTB-Road-Bike-Helmets-With-Polarized-Sunglass-and-Visor-White/263249050986?epid=20006607990&hash=item3d4addbd6a:g:wtcAAOSwez5Z11Ho

• Useful
Reactions: LeighPing

Russelliow

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2017
iom
Surly a motocross helmet would be better for a speed ebike. They are nicely vented, have face protection and a peak.
I personally don't see much point wearing a helmet if it has no face protection.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
This helmet is good idea, up till now only option has been MTB helmets for extra protection around sides. I don't think typical MTB bike helmets are designed for 45kmh impact. Downhill full face are not that practical for daily commutes, but they do offer excellent high speed & face protection.

I'm surprised some readers grizzle about price, they don't think twice about spending £1000s on ebike, but not £150 on their brain which can't be replaced.

Reactions: lolipop808

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
This helmet is good idea, up till now only option has been MTB helmets for extra protection around sides. I don't think typical MTB bike helmets are designed for 45kmh impact. Downhill full face are not that practical for daily commutes, but they do offer excellent high speed & face protection.

I'm surprised some readers grizzle about price, they don't think twice about spending £1000s on ebike, but not £150 on their brain which can't be replaced.
There is a moral in that last sentence...

I have a 149€ helmet :)

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
A goodly few years ago I saw a crash test between various helmets and it stuck in my mind as it included a Boardman Pro Carbon helmet (£90) which I had just bought to match my new Boardman bike, and a Budget supermarket special (£9.99) which I have never bought and in this particular test the Boardman was the most expensive but it didn't come out on top or even better the budget offering.
I have two Helmets at present and both are Bell because I generally keep away from micky Mouse stuff and buy Brand names for safety kit, but the test I saw strongly suggests that by spending more money you dont necessarily increase protection and that cheap and cheerful is not always cheep and nasty.
Looking again at buying a suitable helmet with visor I can only find budget helmets of an unknown brand that all have dark visors, except for those costing hundreds of pounds which would at best make me look like an aging speed freak or someone trying for a re-run of Chips without the Bikes.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I went for comfort, I also have a b'twin helmet and my head just barely fits into the largest size (no need to go there, thanks! :rolleyes: )

My GF calls me Robocop when I wear the helmet, I'm fine with that :D

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
I more expensive helmets, especially MTB ones give better coverage around back and sides, plus they come with excellent adjustment systems. I've written off two helmets in crashes, without the excellent coverage on my forehead I doubt I'd walk away from either crash.

Comfort and weight is very important, you will be wearing a helmet for hours a day especially if touring or MTBing.

Cephalotus

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 22, 2017
Germany

Jimo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2018
Fakenham, Norfolk
Being in need of a new helmet I googled mtb helmets and came up with quite a few alternatives manyof which were rejected because of their irritating overlays obscuring reading. Looking for quality AND protection I chose a fairly new lid from Bikestar https://www.bikester.co.uk/lazer-anverz-nta-bike-helmet-black-762851.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIs8-B742H4QIV4bztCh2D9QuJEAQYASABEgKg0fD_BwE&_cid=21_1_-1_{ifpla:9}{ifpe:8}_134_762851_{creative}_{ifpla:pla}&ef_id=EAIaIQobChMIs8-B742H4QIV4bztCh2D9QuJEAQYASABEgKg0fD_BwE&ev_chn=shop
Should be with me in a few days so looking forward to it complete with clear visor.

Jim

Barrio Barranco

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 24, 2018
I've just bought a Troy Lee Designs "Decoy" A2 with MIPS.... absolutely amazing fit (errr.... size XL/XXL) and finally some room to spare not at the limit of the headband and the shell touching my skull... 61cm is NOT XL!!
I kinda laughed when I realised I had spent £2700 on a (in the sale, was £4600) KTM and had a £7.99 Lidl skid lid....
Got it half price though at £79....oh and it's black and fluoro orange so matches the bike perfectly!!
The MIPS system feels a bit odd at first after years of helmets without this feature.