Who wants to steal my bike?

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Guess what? Been away for the weekend and someone tried to get into my garage! Luckily alarm fired off so nothing taken. There is a kick up the bum if ever I had one.. New locks this weekend I think

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Nice to know someone is on near permanent watch for an opportunity to steal your goods.

The answer usually lies close to home.

I had a bike stolen from my garage a few years ago.

The culprit was the next door neighbour's ne'er do well son who had seen me using the bike from his bedroom window.

He watched and waited for me to leave the house in my car.

Tubamanandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Just fitted a pair of Enfield Locks (basically strong bolt deadlocks) to my up and over garage door but I still need to sort something for the side door

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Just fitted a pair of Enfield Locks (basically strong bolt deadlocks) to my up and over garage door but I still need to sort something for the side door
I think these are a good idea. Will be going in town tomorrow to get 2. They are on eBay cheaper but I like to spend local in I can..

D

Deleted member 4366

Get yourself a CCTV system. You can get a high resolution wireless IP camera for about £70 or less. You just connect it to your wifi system and wait. You can set it to take photos and record if there's any movement in its range of vision. It'll even email you the photos instantly. At nighttime the LEDs shine like ray-guns, which keeps away anybody even trying to case the joint.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-Megapixel-1080P-Onvif-IR-Outdoor-WIFI-Network-IP-Monitoring-Camera-/390649811220?pt=UK_CCTV&hash=item5af48b1114

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dericam-Outdoor-Waterproof-WiFi-HD-1080P-CCTV-IP-IR-Camera-Night-Vision-Onvif-/261535314122?pt=UK_CCTV&hash=item3ce4b830ca

the_killjoy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 26, 2008
After reading this thread I am off to fit a pair of Enfield locks, mind you if they pull hard enough the door frame will probably come away with the garage door.

steve.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 16, 2011
Exeter Devon
Get yourself a CCTV system. You can get a high resolution wireless IP camera for about £70 or less. You just connect it to your wifi system and wait. You can set it to take photos and record if there's any movement in its range of vision. It'll even email you the photos instantly. At nighttime the LEDs shine like ray-guns, which keeps away anybody even trying to case the joint.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-Megapixel-1080P-Onvif-IR-Outdoor-WIFI-Network-IP-Monitoring-Camera-/390649811220?pt=UK_CCTV&hash=item5af48b1114

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dericam-Outdoor-Waterproof-WiFi-HD-1080P-CCTV-IP-IR-Camera-Night-Vision-Onvif-/261535314122?pt=UK_CCTV&hash=item3ce4b830ca
Hi d8veh.Nice choice of wi-fi camera but forgive me if im wrong (again ???) but dont you have to leave your P.C on all the time for this to work !!!!!!!! and as I spend a few weeks a year ???? in Southern Spain each year (its tough but it has to be done!!) would this be a worthwhile project !!!! as I dont want to leave the P.C on when im away !!!!.
Regards Steve.

D

Deleted member 4366

Hi d8veh.Nice choice of wi-fi camera but forgive me if im wrong (again ???) but dont you have to leave your P.C on all the time for this to work !!!!!!!! and as I spend a few weeks a year ???? in Southern Spain each year (its tough but it has to be done!!) would this be a worthwhile project !!!! as I dont want to leave the P.C on when im away !!!!.
Regards Steve.
No PC needed. If you use an IP camera, they immediately email you the pictures. They also have a memory card in to record footage and photos that you can access later through your PC. you can monitor the camera from any pc or smartphone, anywhere in the world as long as you have internet access. You have to have your router on all the time to access or monitor them.

D

Deleted member 4366

Cool. Now you can have a nice film of your bike being stolen.
No, you'll never see anything. They don't come anywhere near when you have visible cameras.

If you use a DVR system with IP instead of IP cameras. You get all the above plus motion detection. You put a camera in the garage and if anything moves in the designated are of view, it triggers an alarm.

Nearly every house in our neighbourhood has CCTV. We used to get quite a bit of crime, but since the CCTV, nothing.

axolotl

Pedelecer
May 8, 2014
Ahh. Just a hunch then.

Burglaries have been falling for the last few years anyway, which explains the drop in crime you've noticed. It's unlikely to be anything to do with the CCTV.

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
No, you'll never see anything. They don't come anywhere near when you have visible cameras.

If you use a DVR system with IP instead of IP cameras. You get all the above plus motion detection. You put a camera in the garage and if anything moves in the designated are of view, it triggers an alarm.

Nearly every house in our neighbourhood has CCTV. We used to get quite a bit of crime, but since the CCTV, nothing.

Where I used to live in North London in the mid nineties there were a lot of burglaries in the road, mainly from garages at the back. But we never had one because our Doberman used to follow the local youths as they walked around around the side lane looking for opportunities and barking at them.

axolotl

Pedelecer
May 8, 2014
Now that I can believe. A vicious-sounding dog is something the neds understand.

D

Deleted member 4366

Ahh. Just a hunch then.

Burglaries have been falling for the last few years anyway, which explains the drop in crime you've noticed. It's unlikely to be anything to do with the CCTV.
You seem to be showing a lot of bias for some reason. Have you got something against it?

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
A crusty old Durham copper of my acquaintance reckons CCTV cameras are a good deterrent.

But some of the thieves he deals with are experienced and can recognise a dummy camera or one that is not working almost by instinct.

The obvious conclusion is CCTV is worthwhile, but make sure it's visible and looks like it's working.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Head down hoodies often don't even care about being filmed by CCTV. They'll steal in full view knowing their face is deeply hidden and happily give a finger up sign towards the camera to show their contempt.

axolotl

Pedelecer
May 8, 2014
You seem to be showing a lot of bias for some reason. Have you got something against it?

I think it has its place, in certain niche applications. However, for general crime prevention there's scant evidence that cctv actually works. There has been a drop in acquisitive crime since cct started to become much more common but crime was falling anyway so it's doubtful that the drop was solely (or even partly) due to cctv.

The police are often pro-cctv because it can make their job easier. But if you have to call the police in the first place, cctv has already failed as a deterrent.

The only solidly justifiable reason I can see for a homeowner or business owner to install cctv is because when/if they're stolen from, they want to have a crack at bringing the perps to justice. If you feel really strongly about this, sure, go ahead and install some cameras. On the other hand, if you want to actually prevent crime, spend the money on physical security (better doors, better locks, steel shutters or bars on windows, prickly hedges etc.)

Reactions: flecc and Cyclezee