soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Reactions: oyster

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
I have been looking at some of the really really cool stuff on offer and as I also need to ask how much then I cant afford it!
Couldn't agree more. Just an outside hope that the price might drop in a few years - but if it starts at 10k+ (as per soundwave), I'll be dead long before I could afford a bike fitted with it.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
custom built race bikes are 10-20k depending on make so it wont be on the crimbo list for a very long time yet at a price most could afford.

i dont think anyone on this forum even has a 10k ebike

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
It's a concept and many think it will stay a concept.

On the other hand you can buy a 1 x 13 speed transmission. If you can afford it...

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

the shaft is electric shift with a 18650 inside.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Why? Are you very old or very poor?
Whilst I could choose to spend 10k+ on a bike, it is more than I would be willing to spend. Might be happy to throw an extra £500 at a bike with that feature. And, if 10k+ were the current cost of CeramicSpeed, it will take a long time to drop to £500 or below. Even if 10k+ were a complete bike fitted with CeramicSpeed, it rather implies a hefty premium.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Whilst I could choose to spend 10k+ on a bike, it is more than I would be willing to spend. Might be happy to throw an extra £500 at a bike with that feature. And, if 10k+ were the current cost of CeramicSpeed, it will take a long time to drop to £500 or below. Even if 10k+ were a complete bike fitted with CeramicSpeed, it rather implies a hefty premium.
If you consider how much rohloff gears are for example then £500 for a complete system like that is **** in the wind.
There are some really cool products on show and the future is definately electric but its now at the point where a purchase might soon be buyers remorse when next year's tech becomes available.

• Agree
Reactions: mike killay

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
modern implementation of a 120 year old idea.
Still brilliant though.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
if you paid 1 million quid for a cray super computer 12 years ago today it is scrap!

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
If you consider how much rohloff gears are for example then £500 for a complete system like that is **** in the wind.
There are some really cool products on show and the future is definately electric but its now at the point where a purchase might soon be buyers remorse when next year's tech becomes available.
Looks like Rohloff start at about £900. Take off the cost of whatever would have been fitted (what? £300 for some Shimano or SRAM) and you are not that far off £500 extra. (Yes, I know, you have to fully list every component to get a proper assessment. I am not a bicycle builder and have just grabbed some online prices.) And with anything, if you go for the top end, it could be much more.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Looks like Rohloff start at about £900. Take off the cost of whatever would have been fitted (what? £300 for some Shimano or SRAM) and you are not that far off £500 extra. (Yes, I know, you have to fully list every component to get a proper assessment. I am not a bicycle builder and have just grabbed some online prices.) And with anything, if you go for the top end, it could be much more.
Can you imagine how much a replacement cassett might cost?
I am in a negative mood and am Mr disillusioned right now having found out that the bike I would like to buy weights in at 31kg.

Russelliow

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2017
iom
Not bad. I would like a rohloff myself but at £1000 it would need to last 8-9 years before it saved me any money over buying 2 chains and a slx cassette every year.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
They say no plans to bring it to market, I'm not surprised. I can see it could prove rather fragile.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
They say no plans to bring it to market, I'm not surprised. I can see it could prove rather fragile.
"At this stage, however, there are no plans to bring the system to the consumer market."

You could interpret that statement in many ways. For example, if they have decided to go down the licensing route - any plans wouldn't be theirs. Also, being specific about "consumer market" could mean that it will appear on professional racing cycles.

I'd be a bit concerned about its ability to cope with rain and mud, as it is. Looks like the bearings are rather exposed. But what do I know? Precisely nothing.

Reactions: flecc

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
Could see market for it in professional road racing.

For ebikes better of using higher loss shaft drive systems from motorbikes. With ebikes , especially commuters low maintenance and reliability is far more important than efficiency.