Wisper Who was just awarded the Which? magazine Best Buy award?

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
1686069711808.png

Us!

For our fabulous 806 Torque folder, 8 years on and still trend setting!

Happy days.

All the best, David

Best Buy: Wisper 806 folding electric bike (with torque power pack)

Cheapest price: £1,749 at Wisper

Pros
  • Easily gets up steep hills
  • Smooth acceleration and responsive motor
  • Comfy ride
  • Clear display
Cons

Heavy – struggled to lift into a car boot
  • Mudguard sometimes got in the way when folding
  • Cable management could be better
Our verdict Fantastic if 'small when folded' isn't your priority

Date tested April 2023

Manufacturer's claimed range Up to 50 miles (375Wh battery)

Weight 21kg

Max load (rider + luggage) 130kg

Motor Wisper, rear hub

Battery sizes 375Wh, also 575Wh and 700Wh

Size when folded HxWxD 73 x 85 x 43cm

Need to know LCD display, torque sensor (cadence sensor model available from £1,499), four assistance levels, Shimano seven-speed gears with trigger shifter, mechanical disc brakes, 20-inch wheels, front and rear lights, kickstand, other colours available

While it doesn't compare to the Brompton for folding or portability, it fared just as well in our motor tests and not far behind on ride quality.

We tested this bike with the torque power pack and it easily gets up steep hills – even extremely steep 25% gradients. Whether you get a run-up or start from stationary, this e-bike can handle it.

The acceleration is smooth and nippy, and if you pedal harder, the motor responds quickly and proportionately. It's quiet. It tapers its support to seamlessly cut out when you hit 15.5mph.

It's also very comfy to ride, with our testers particularly liking its sharp brakes for quick stops and how it handled turning corners while pedalling. Worse e-bikes have too sharp acceleration which makes cycling slowly very jerky – that's not the case at all with the Wisper 806.

The display is backlit, with clear text and easy to reach buttons to change the motor assistance on the fly. The battery is also easy to remove – not always a guarantee with folding electric bikes.

There are a couple of issues, however. This bike is a typical size when folded up and will just get in a small car boot, but you may then struggle to close it. Plus, its weight made it tricky to lift and carry for more than a few seconds.

The folding mechanism is standard for an electric bike, but we found the mudguard connectors sometimes got caught around the pedals, making unfolding tricky. Folding the bike up carefully will help mitigate this.

If you aren't bothered about the lack of portability, or the price tag of a Brompton makes your eyes water, this bike gives you a top cycling experience. Because of this, it's more than worthy of our Best Buy recommendation.

Last edited:

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
Congratulations :D

These days theres certainly a huge market and an even bigger range of choices out there ,so to become top choice is testimony to good overall practise.

I would expect 90% of those they looked at also had issue on weight. It's something that pretty much goes hand in hand with Ebikes and cant really be avoided.

Reactions: Wisper Bikes

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Not a fan of Which I think many of their reviews are terrible and poorly thought out and don't look beyond the surface. However congratulations to Wisper for the best buy status that will certainly help big time in marketing their ebikes.
Thanks BB, we were absolutely delighted. I was very impressed by the way the whole exercise was conducted. Which? purchased completely anonymously 14 of the best selling folding ebikes from dealers, their team of four bike testers, tested them independently. They included bikes from Brompton, Raleigh, Mycle, Volt, EVolt, MiRider, B'Twin as well as bikes from Halfords, Argos etc.

I liked their warts and all approach and we had absolutely no knowledge or say in the process. Of course they are not infallible but I know their test procedure was rigorous and without any bias. We know we are not without fault but all the bikes were tested under the same conditions by the same team. Brompton and Wisper were considered the best.

All said a very good result for a small, independent firm like Wisper! And yes we have seen a spike in purchases.

All the best, David

Reactions: Bikes4two

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Thanks for taking the time to Google me Guerney, I am flattered.
I was actually trying to find out more about the award! Hoped you wouldn't mind my posting the video, "This Is Your Life" style-ish. It's a good promo video.

Indeed, and three years after I first met David in person at a pedelec event he staged when I was 70 and still cycling.
They do say overnight success takes about 20 years.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
They do have a reputation for doing good reviews that you can trust.
Trustpilot score for Which? is 1.7
Trustpilot score for Wisper is 4.7
Trustpilot score for Trustpilot is 4.3

• Informative
Reactions: flecc and Woosh

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I remember it well Tony, down at Sammy Millers near new Milton.

All the best, David
Something to amuse you David, You may remember I was with my older brother who, despite his 74 years, was a roadie and keen club cyclist. After that event I asked him his impression, expecting a comment about the e-bikes.

His reply was, "I've never seen so many fat people in all my life".

• :D
Reactions: guerney

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
I was actually trying to find out more about the award! Hoped you wouldn't mind my posting the video, "This Is Your Life" style-ish. It's a good promo video.

They do say overnight success takes about 20 years.
I don’t mind at all Guernsey.

All the best, David

Reactions: guerney

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
david if i wanted my frame to be scanned and 3d printed out of ti in china what would it cost?

Atherton bikes have a ti printer but uses lugs and carbon tubes

you could print me some bits to make a fully automatic ti bell :p

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Something to amuse you David, You may remember I was with my older brother who, despite his 74 years, was a roadie and keen club cyclist. After that event I asked him his impression, expecting a comment about the e-bikes.

His reply was, "I've never seen so many fat people in all my life".
I remember it well Tony, I had to get therapy!!

All the best, David

• :D
Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I remember it well Tony, I had to get therapy!!

All the best, David
Actually it wasn't you I was thinking of David ! I'd stuck a "flecc" nametag on my shirt to get as many Pedelec members contacts as possible, but those few who did all had, shall we say, a substantial presence.

It was them my brother was thinking of, as he explained his comment by saying their cycling wasn't doing much for them.